What is in the old Journey Into Imagination scene locations?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hate the new version as much as anyone but it is my understanding that the Flight to Imagination turntable was a mechanical nightmare and prone to frequent breakdowns. The main point of the late 90's refurb was to remove this element of the show and improve the attractions reliability. Personally I hate the band-aid approach to any permanent fix. All they succeed in doing was making a reliable attraction that no one wants to ride.

EPCOT Explorer

I hate the new version as much as anyone but it is my understanding that the Flight to Imagination turntable was a mechanical nightmare and prone to frequent breakdowns. The main point of the late 90's refurb was to remove this element of the show and improve the attractions reliability. Personally I hate the band-aid approach to any permanent fix. All they succeed in doing was making a reliable attraction that no one wants to ride.

It sounds like the Yeti of it's day... :lol:

With today's technology, it would really have been a non issue, especially with a trackless system.

And I agree, they could have removed the "Flight" scene, replaced it with something else, rathe than gutting and shortening the whole deal. That might have been cheaper in the first place.

musketeer

Original Poster
A while back, after my last trip there, I wondered if maybe I was remembering it differently. That maybe it wasn't as good as I had thought, and that I was guilty of having selective memory.

People do that about things, they remember something so much better than it actually was.

So I watched it on youtube....nope, it wasn't selective memory, it really was a great ride.

If I had one wish that I could pick one to ride again, I MIGHT choose that over Horizons.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Thanks, Yensid. As said, for a full explanation have a look at my Imagination 1999-2002 video in that link.

In the meantime, here`s the layouts:

Imagination_1983_show_scene_layoutw.jpg

Imagination_1999_show_scene_layoutw.jpg

I am afraid to find out what they did with all the old sets. Very fascinating thanks for posting, do you have any more of these floor plans for other rides.

A while back, after my last trip there, I wondered if maybe I was remembering it differently. That maybe it wasn't as good as I had thought, and that I was guilty of having selective memory.

People do that about things, they remember something so much better than it actually was.

So I watched it on youtube....nope, it wasn't selective memory, it really was a great ride.

If I had one wish that I could pick one to ride again, I MIGHT choose that over Horizons.

Thats what I thought to but really... thats the imagineers evil ruthless plan until youtube came along, now they are hearing it.

I do like that upside scene, if they do restore the ride to its former glory and Dreamfinder makes his comeback like said I think they should replace that performing arts scene with that upside down scene and add in that ending scene. The performing arts scene always board me a bit. They funny thing is some stuff looks like it was made in the 80s but never made it in to the show and was just sitting around. They should for now put Dreamfinders dreamcatcher in that existing ending scene, I am surprised they never thought to do that.

Rob562

Did they really rip out the track or is it still there under the queue and post show?

I know Martin did stomp tests on the floors. I think the outcome was that in most places there's at least the trough where the ride track was, if not the track itself.

-Rob

DarthGrady

Ugh...Why do I even come into these threads? :(

That original ride was the best. Ever.

For the same reason the rest of us do, that little shred of hope! ;)

A hope that some new poster might show up, chiming in that his dad is an Imagineer. And that dear old poppa told him yesterday that the restoration begins next month! The Dream Mobile will be hauled out of Mose Bits! Dream Finder will be bolted back on it, and the whole thing will be re built! Better than ever. That tremendous good news, after so many years of nothing but bad.

sweetpee_1993

The original JII was on of the best dark rides Disney has ever built. Right up in the same class as Spaceship Earth, Horizons and Haunted Mansion. What possessed them to take everything that made the original so great, throw it on the ground and stomp on it repeatedly to form JIYI is beyond me. That attraction was a bad idea from the start. JIIwF is slightly better, yet slightly worse at the same time. It also declined from always having long lines to never having a line, even in peak season (just like SGE). Disney needs to just nurf the whole Imagination pavilion and start from scratch. What's in there now isn't worth anyone's time.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. The bolded part? Yeah, we were at WDW for 10 days this January. We didn't step foot into the pavilion. It's just not interesting anymore.

Yeah, the structure is perfectly fine. It's the ground floor, that needs a whole new set up.

The upstairs, too. It needs to be open.:lookaroun

I was thinking the same. Love the structure itself. It's the innards that need to be stripped and rebuilt....with the love it deserves.

I was never aware of technical difficulties back in the day. Hard to remember that long ago, tho. Seems like what old problems they had would be a piece of cake these days with all the new technologies. Your last sentence was the sad truth of it. We skipped Imagination completely this year.

I've been thinking the same way. When I was a kid Imagination was one of the things we looked forward to most. It wasn't just the ride portion. It was everything about the place. And we would stand in line for it, too! But I doubt my memories sometimes because I also remember my Gramma's house being gi-normous when in actuality it could fit inside the downstairs of my house with room to spare. LOL! The scene with all the white iridescent heaven-like stuff that made you feel like you were floating in a dream was always my favorite. Every time we made it to that scene I didn't want it to end. I had visions of hopping out of my ride vehicle and just standing there in the fog savoring that mesmerizing bliss without end. I miss the Dreamfinder terribly but I miss my taste of heaven, too. That's the part I see in the old videos and know I'm not just remembering it as more than it was.

rodserling27

I encourage everyone to watch Martin's ultimate tribute videos to both the Original ride and the two redesigned versions. It really shows what an awful piece of garbage the re-furb was and how much it destroyed the magical original ride. He does a great side-by-side comparison, showing what went where in all three incarnations of the ride. You can get the vids on MouseBits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom