What I learned from my first D23

Kramerica

Original Poster
Well, I'm back here at home in Portland Oregon, I've unpacked and I've had some time to sit back and reflect on the last weekend and my first D23. I'd like to share my thoughts and some of my realizations, hopefully it can help some other people's first D23 in the future.

First and foremost, this convention is huge. But not huge enough. Granted, I haven't been to San Diego Comicon, which I hear is giant, but I've done my fair share of conventions and this was by far the largest. The floor is expansive, you'll get lost in it. There's certainly more on that floor than you'll be able to do in three days. That being said, this convention is popular. So very popular that it's very clear that it has outgrown it's venue. The Anaheim convention center, as is, simply cannot properly accommodate this convention. They're building a massive expansion to the grounds and I hope that solves the issue. But this year's convention was pushing this venue to it's limits, and it doesn't look like things will slow down.

This leads me to my next point. Because of the size of the venue vs the crowd sizes, they don't have enough exhibits to properly absorb crowds. You will wait. You will wait a lot. Let me take Saturday for an example. It took me about two hours just to get inside the expo. Once I got inside, I immediately went to the stage pass line to begin waiting for the 12:30 stage passes to open up, which was still an hour away. After that, it took another hour to get through the line to get my stage pass. From there, I rushed down to Hall E to wait for the Parks and Resorts panel, which was a couple hours. During which panel they gave away surprise fantasmic passes to be redeemed at stage pass. Redeeming said ticket took another couple hours in line (And also forced me to miss my panel that I had waited for a stage pass for that morning, more about this later) Needless to say, you will stand in line a LOT. Stores, panels, experiences. They're all waits that outdo any that you'll see in parks.

You need to not see this as a bad thing though. Another thing I realized is how standing in line can be a really enjoyable experience! Where I live, I'm a total fish out of water as far as my love of Disney goes. Nobody is into Disney like I am. But when you're at D23, these are all hardcore fans who feel the same way you do. It's so easy to meet new people, chat, etc, while you're in line. On Sunday I waited two hours to get into Mickeys of Glendale, and the people I was in line with made it a total blast. We talked about Disney, shared podcasts we like to listen to, even talked conspiracy theories. It's totally crazy and fun. You need to understand that you'll be in line a lot and you should make the best of it.

Now about that panel I was forced to miss. YOU WILL NOT be able to do everything you plan on. When I was researching tips on how to handle D23, everyone said to plan, plan, plan. And they're right. But they fail to mention that you need to have several backup plans, if not to just expect for your plans to fall through altogether. Perfect example was that stage pass I stood in line for. It took me a couple hours to score, but little did I know the parks and resorts panel would force me to totally abandon those plans in order to attend the soft opening of Fantasmic. A worthy trade off, but shows that things can happen that totally throw a grenade in your plans. And this wasn't the only thing I was forced to totally abandon. You need to come to peace with the fact you'll miss some things. Seek a happy balance between planning and playing things by ear.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that this isn't Disneyland. You have a mix between genuine cast members and temporary expo workers. You need to learn the difference, because the difference in help they offer is staggering. The standard expo workers, with their blue t shirts and stick on name badges consistently failed to answer basic questions for me, including "Where is stage pass?" and "Where's the Disney Archives Stage?" Their knowledge base is very limited. Don't bother asking them anything you don't have to. The cast members were stellar though. Seek them out. They will do you right, as always.

I gotta get some sleep. I'll continue this tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

TP2000

I'm interested. :)

You seem like a rational person who went into this with a rational mind, which makes sense since you are a Pacific Northwesterner, like our other friend here from Oregon @Curious Constance who is very rational about things (except Bob Iger and King Triton).

A few thoughts on your observations...

The Anaheim Convention Center is massive. It's the largest convention center on the West Coast, by a long shot, at 1.6 Million square feet with 860,000 square feet of exhibit hall space. By comparison, the lovely Oregon Convention Center in Portland is 1 Million square feet with 255,000 square feet of exhibit hall space. The San Diego Convention Center where Comic-Con is held is 1.3 Million square feet with 525,000 square feet of exhibit hall space.

The Anaheim Convention Center's expansion wing opens in September and adds another 300,000 square feet of space to the center; including 100,000 square feet of exhibit hall space and 200,000 square feet of ballrooms and meeting rooms. It will be unlikely that any other convention center on the West Coast matches Anaheim for space in the next few decades. San Francisco, Seattle and LA have centers that are even smaller than San Diego and comparable with Portland. (Seattle has the smallest convention center in the West)

So, that said, the frenzy and lines and pandemonium you experienced need to be laid at the foot of the organizers. The D23 Expo team, and thus Disney's corporate planners in Burbank, are solely responsible for the long lines and overcrowded venues and general mess that happens each time at D23 Expo.

I have been to each D23 Expo, and this year I did my usual and just stopped by in the mid afternoon and bought a one day ticket to see the WDI Pavilion. I have also experienced that anyone wearing a Disneyland nametag was polite and gracious and knowledgeable, or took the time to find the answer for me. The hired hands and temp workers from the convention center are messy and sloppy and I avoid them. And then there are some Burbank types wearing Expo lanyards who are stressed and rude and heaped high with attitude; stay clear of them lest you become infected with their snotty outlook on life. Look for a smiling face wearing a Disneyland nametag and you can't go wrong!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It was interesting reading your thoughts on D23, very cool that you were able to get into Parks and Resorts and I feel your pain about obtaining a stage pass. I also enjoyed chatting with people around us at the Expo about Disney it is not something that most of the friends or family in my life care much about so I was able to get my Disney geek on.

My husband and I just got back from D23 Expo as well and it was our first time attending. I was nervous about attending because I had heard about the crowds and standing in long lines. Before we went hubby and I both agreed that we would not be waiting overnight and we had little interest in attending the large panels since most of that information gets put out on the internet minutes after the panel is over. The only one we had second thoughts about possibly attending was Parks and Resorts but in the end we decided not to do that. And I had a second of regret when I saw the passes for the Fantasmic soft open, but we had a dinner package for it on the 17th so I was okay not doing the soft open.

I did a ton of research before we left and we had a plan of panels we wanted to go to, a backpack full of snacks, and supplies for the day (including a small seat cushion). In my research I had read that if we were there by 6 am we would be allowed inside with the overnighters, and on Friday we arrived at 5:15 am and were stopped outside because the media wanted a large crowd outside for their camera shots. I was very irritated about that. But once I got over that the atmosphere was full of excitement and it wasn't that hot until the end when it was almost time to go in. We only made one mistake that day and that was getting into the line for stage pass shortly after the passes for the afternoon panels opened up. We waited over an hour to get a stage pass for the Pirates panel. That was a mistake, there was plenty of space for that and we weren't even asked for our pass when we showed up and walked right into the arena. The next two days we did Stage pass again but got them much later in the day, and we also took advantage of the Gold member line.

The best thing we did on Friday was got a shop pass for Mickey's of Glendale for 11:30 and while we waited for that we did all the big exhibits on the show floor with little wait. Later in the day those lines for Star Wars and Pirates were so long. We thought the expo workers did a fairly decent job of handling crowds and answering our questions. It would have been nice to have some more signage up especially in seating sections that were reserved for like sorcerers or media seats.

Saturday and Sunday we ended up getting to the Convention Center by 5 am, usually at about 4:50 am and got inside easily so we didn't have to wait outside in the sun and had easy access to the bathroom. Hubby and I are early risers anyway, so getting there so early wasn't a hardship for us.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we were able to attend the panels we wanted to see most and walked into some we had a little interest in. The Alan Menken concert was fabulous, and I loved the Legends of Imagineering panel on Sunday. But we saw some of the Disney Archives stage panels and those were great too. I probably could've spent the whole expo going to those panels. Maybe we just had good luck but we had a fabulous time. Sure we did our fair share of waiting in line but we were pleased with what we got to see and that we got to see what mattered most. It also probably helped that we didn't try to get into those huge panel shows. I am just glad we don't have any of those horror stories to share. I don't think I'm being a pixie-duster, just happy with what we did. I think it would be fun to go back in 2019, but we will see.

dweezil78

(To preface this -- these are just general statements/thoughts, not directed towards anyone within this thread!)

I think people who are shocked at the chaos at the D23 Expo simply have never been to any other large conventions. For some reason Disney fans feel more entitled than people who attend other 'cons.' Waiting in huge lines is just something you need to expect when you go to these things -- the fact that they have Stage Pass or whatever it's called is pretty amazing and not often seen at other conventions. People wait entire days to get into Hall H at Comic Con, it's insane.

Having a good time at a convention takes a lot of planning, low expectations, and the ability to go with the flow and not get too frustrated when things don't go 100% according to plan. You'll almost never get it right your first try -- and by your second or third try, you'll have to relearn the whole thing anyway. :) Also, unless you really need to see something first thing in the AM, never show up at start of the day unless you legit love waiting in ridiculously long snaking lines and meeting people (which is fun, for sure - but not for everyone). Show up after lunch and you'll have a much less stressful time.

Finally, if conventions just aren't your thing -- and they aren't to many -- Destination D which happens every other year in Orlando is probably more your speed. It's primarily panels and cool little events/parties and you're guaranteed a seat throughout the entire thing with a pretty manageable small crowd.

TP2000

Stevek

(
I think people who are shocked at the chaos at the D23 Expo simply have never been to any other large conventions. For some reason Disney fans feel more entitled than people who attend other 'cons.' Waiting in huge lines is just something you need to expect when you go to these things -- the fact that they have Stage Pass or whatever it's called is pretty amazing and not often seen at other conventions. People wait entire days to get into Hall H at Comic Con, it's insane.

Regarding expectations, absolutely. I've done two D23 conventions and the first local SW Celebration (Los Angeles) and really had no clue what to expect. I will say that getting into the SW Celebration was much easier than the second D23. Given those experiences, it was really a very simple decision that the convention experience wasn't really for me. I can't rationalize waiting for 2+ hours just to get in and wait for 2 more hours for a panel. My time is far more valuable than anything I will "learn" from sitting in one of the big parks or movie presentations, especially in today's social media world where information is instant. I don't feel the need to be a part of the mass bonding with people that are hooting and hollering at every word said in these panels...just not my thing.

I think if I ever did it again, I'd go in after the masses have entered and just visit the show floor exhibits. Ultimately, I don't think it's a sense of entitlement per se but more a bunch of people who likely only attend D23 and not any other cons.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, I'm back here at home in Portland Oregon, I've unpacked and I've had some time to sit back and reflect on the last weekend and my first D23. I'd like to share my thoughts and some of my realizations, hopefully it can help some other people's first D23 in the future.

First and foremost, this convention is huge. But not huge enough. Granted, I haven't been to San Diego Comicon, which I hear is giant, but I've done my fair share of conventions and this was by far the largest. The floor is expansive, you'll get lost in it. There's certainly more on that floor than you'll be able to do in three days. That being said, this convention is popular. So very popular that it's very clear that it has outgrown it's venue. The Anaheim convention center, as is, simply cannot properly accommodate this convention. They're building a massive expansion to the grounds and I hope that solves the issue. But this year's convention was pushing this venue to it's limits, and it doesn't look like things will slow down.

This leads me to my next point. Because of the size of the venue vs the crowd sizes, they don't have enough exhibits to properly absorb crowds. You will wait. You will wait a lot. Let me take Saturday for an example. It took me about two hours just to get inside the expo. Once I got inside, I immediately went to the stage pass line to begin waiting for the 12:30 stage passes to open up, which was still an hour away. After that, it took another hour to get through the line to get my stage pass. From there, I rushed down to Hall E to wait for the Parks and Resorts panel, which was a couple hours. During which panel they gave away surprise fantasmic passes to be redeemed at stage pass. Redeeming said ticket took another couple hours in line (And also forced me to miss my panel that I had waited for a stage pass for that morning, more about this later) Needless to say, you will stand in line a LOT. Stores, panels, experiences. They're all waits that outdo any that you'll see in parks.

You need to not see this as a bad thing though. Another thing I realized is how standing in line can be a really enjoyable experience! Where I live, I'm a total fish out of water as far as my love of Disney goes. Nobody is into Disney like I am. But when you're at D23, these are all hardcore fans who feel the same way you do. It's so easy to meet new people, chat, etc, while you're in line. On Sunday I waited two hours to get into Mickeys of Glendale, and the people I was in line with made it a total blast. We talked about Disney, shared podcasts we like to listen to, even talked conspiracy theories. It's totally crazy and fun. You need to understand that you'll be in line a lot and you should make the best of it.

Now about that panel I was forced to miss. YOU WILL NOT be able to do everything you plan on. When I was researching tips on how to handle D23, everyone said to plan, plan, plan. And they're right. But they fail to mention that you need to have several backup plans, if not to just expect for your plans to fall through altogether. Perfect example was that stage pass I stood in line for. It took me a couple hours to score, but little did I know the parks and resorts panel would force me to totally abandon those plans in order to attend the soft opening of Fantasmic. A worthy trade off, but shows that things can happen that totally throw a grenade in your plans. And this wasn't the only thing I was forced to totally abandon. You need to come to peace with the fact you'll miss some things. Seek a happy balance between planning and playing things by ear.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that this isn't Disneyland. You have a mix between genuine cast members and temporary expo workers. You need to learn the difference, because the difference in help they offer is staggering. The standard expo workers, with their blue t shirts and stick on name badges consistently failed to answer basic questions for me, including "Where is stage pass?" and "Where's the Disney Archives Stage?" Their knowledge base is very limited. Don't bother asking them anything you don't have to. The cast members were stellar though. Seek them out. They will do you right, as always.

You have pretty much described every major entertainment expo in the country. Unless you shell out major coin for VIP access you will spend that vast majority of your day waiting, and waiting only to wait some more. Doing "everything" is simply not possible. You have to choose your targets and have backups if they fall through.

The family and I did Star Wars Celebration in Orlando this year and the average day consisted of getting to the convention center between 4-5 am and waiting for the building to open. After that you went through security and then got in another line to get wristbands for one of the panels. If you had time and they were left you could wait in another line to get a wristband for a second panel. If your first panel was at 11 and you wanted a decent seat, you pretty much had to get in line again and wait for that panel. Lines for the panels later in the day started around 3 hours before the panel was to start.

We had a good time, but I seriously doubt we will do it again unless we go VIP which, it the case of Star Wars Celebration, pretty much gives you the ability to just walk into prety any panel whenever you like.

Phroobar

That is why we don't go panels. The kids like the cosplay meet & greets were we stop someone dressed up and take pictures with them. I like the walk thru exhibits and everyone likes to shop.

Is it weird having a collection of pictures of complete strangers dressed up as superheros and stormtroopers? We did get a picture with Robert Downey Jr dressed up as Iron Man while roaming the vendor floors. My five year old son saw him and went up to his to get his picture taken with him. Downey was surprised by this cute little kid and totally went into character for him.

Curious Constance

If I ever go to a major comic con or D23, my plan will just be to shop and do the walk through type exhibits. I wouldn't want to wait in line for panels.

I wonder if you have to wait in lines at D23 to shop and look at exhibits?

GiveMeTheMusic

If I ever go to a major comic con or D23, my plan will just be to shop and do the walk through type exhibits. I wouldn't want to wait in line for panels.

Honey, you can wait HOURS to get into shops at D23, and exhibits usually have queues as well.

Tony the Tigger

A friend of mine went this year and actually left early because it was too much. And she has gone before.

As interesting as it sounds, I don't think it's for me. Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll look into that smaller Orlando one somebody mentioned.

Phroobar

Its even worst when they pass out a limited number of tickets to get into the exclusive con shop at 2am for entry the next day.

Last edited:

Kramerica

Original Poster

Yes, often times the lines for official Disney shops were much longer than any panel. The merchandise they sell in these shops is limited and people go bananas for it. I'll post some pictures that I took inside the Dreams store. It makes Black Friday at Best Buy look like a ghost town. But I'll admit, I bought quite a lot of D23 branded merch as well. What can I say, I have a T-Shirt and coffee mug obsession and they're terrific to add the the list. Even if they are overpriced. This brings me to my next point. Expect to spend money. Getting in is expensive, sure. But I spent more inside the convention than I did to get inside. Basic shirts in the Disney stores went for about 30 bucks plus tax. But you can spend a lot more. Some might disagree with me, but I thought there was a lot of really neat, limited merchandise here. Especially at the Music Emporium if you're someone who has an irrational love of music records like I do. There's also independent sellers, which is super cool. Rare antique Disney items to anything else you can think of. It's all there.

There's cost saving measures you can take. Don't shop. Or try and bring sustenance. I always tried to bring granola bars, beef jerky, caffeine and such in my bag to avoid paying for the very pricey, serviceable at best food. But you'll probably end up breaking down and buying a six dollar slice of pizza eventually, because you can only go so long on only beef jerky. I hear there's food carts that are pretty good outside, but who wants to exit the convention and have to stand in line to get back in again?

Can I also just mention that I stayed across the street from the convention center. And despite being only steps away from Cars Land as the crow flies, you'd never know it. This is not a very nice part of town, I had several homeless people harass me. Not a huge deal, but if you're trying to produce a squeaky clean version of vacation for your family, you might consider an uber to the parks at night. But the distance of walk isn't too bad. From the convention center to the Disneyland gates probably takes me about 20 minutes. Something to consider if you're trying to combine D23 with the parks.

I'm sure I have more to say but just can't think of it right now. Overall, it's clear D23 isn't for everyone. But there's certainly a demographic here. And one that seems to be growing. I'll certainly attend again, as I had a fantastic time. It's exhausting, hectic, sometimes frustrating. But it's something you'll likely not forget. Seeing my favorite Disney Youtube personalities on the floor, seeing my favorite Disney legends and castmembers in the panels. All kinds of interesting and fun exhibits. Plus, it's kind of cool to be able to say you were there, even if being there was sort of crazy in the moment. Yes, I know, when I was in that Parks and Resorts panel, I wasn't seeing anything the rest of the world wasn't seeing seconds after me (There was someone live streaming it on facebook from their phone right infront of me) but there's just something about actually being there.

Plus, go to any hotel bar while D23 is happening. With the influx of hardcore Disney fans coming to town, you're likely to be able to get drunk with a bunch of Disney nerds. A rare, strange, but cool experience. Haha.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's miserable. I don't know what to tell you.

I attended Dreamforce in SF last year, and the organizers reported that 171,000 people from more than 80 countries attended. The conference is so massive that it not only consumes Moscone Center and the surrounding streets in Yerba Buena, but it pretty much takes over the entire city. It's nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiveMeTheMusic

I attended Dreamforce in SF last year, and the organizers reported that 171,000 people from more than 80 countries attended. The conference is so massive it not only consumes Moscone Center and the surrounding streets in Yerba Buena, but it pretty much takes over the entire city. It's nuts.

Yeah, I'm not a con person. I've been to some smaller comic cons and they were too much for me. I know a lot of people love them, and more power to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom