What have i done???

msthunder

eleven more days to go to our first trip to DW and I am finding myself dreading it more and more. At first I was SO EXCITED,, but after all the booking, scheduling, iterneraries,,, and books of tips,,, I am overloaded.

What was I thinking?? How in the world will this be fun???? There is NO WAY I can memorize all the do's and don't and go this way and go that way,, get a fast pass, catch the bus,,, wait in line, run to the mountain,,pack your blister mole skin, don't come off looking too stupid, stake out your spot for the parade, ,, put your fingers where?????

Now i just wish i would have booked a week at the beach or something.

msthunder

Original Poster
ya'll really have eased my mind,,,, I really don't care that we aren't gonna be able to do everything,, that's not the reason we are going. We are going because it's our first "real" vacation since my son born. (He is 7).

Its a trip of a lifetime for us and the ONLY thing that is most important to me is that we make memories as a family that will last a lifetime.

Oh and that the rum doesn't run out:p :lol:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
That is the most important thing to accept. I know the parks well, and even when I'm there by myself (and operating at a clearly different pace) I have no expectation to "do it all". Half the fun is sitting back and just taking it in. You will be able to find fun in future planning with...we didn't get to do that last time, lets try this.... I continue to discover new things (mostly by slowing down).

And it never fails, travelling with smaller children...with all the parks have to offer...they want........................the swimming pool. :brick: :lol:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

That is the most important thing to accept. I know the parks well, and even when I'm there by myself (and operating at a clearly different pace) I have no expectation to "do it all". Half the fun is sitting back and just taking it in. You will be able to find fun in future planning with...we didn't get to do that last time, lets try this.... I continue to discover new things (mostly by slowing down).

And it never fails, travelling with smaller children...with all the parks have to offer...they want........................the swimming pool. :brick: :lol:
Boy is that the truth!!!

We used to laugh about how well we planned everything out only to find that all they wanted to do was go to the pool!

Upvote 0

Diztechie

Well, of course!!! That's why we booked the Beach Club for our trip in October, and plan on spending the entire first day at the pool! Unwind, relax, and hit the parks that night. You'll have a great time, as long as you... well, hakuna matata, I suppose.

Upvote 0

Lanipie

We are due to arrive at CBR on Sept 1st and leave Sept 7th. Everyone at work keeps saying "OMG,, I cna't beleive you are going to DW on labor day weekend,,, OMG its gonna be SO crowded ,,, OMG,,, its gonna be SO HOT,,,OMG,,OMG,,OMG"

I just want to tell everyone here (at my work) OMG just SHUT UP. But that would be rude.:lol:

I will be there the same time as you!!!!!

Don't worry about those jokers. people keep saying the same thing to me but ya know what? Of course it's gonna be hot, but heck, it's not gonna be much hotter than any of the rest of the summer has been around the US this year. It's summer, we'd have to be crazy to not know it's gonna be hot. But, hello, most of the rides and movies etc are inside and there are plenty of shops and restaurants to duck into to get cool. No biggie!

As for crowds. I have been on Labor day weekend before and actually I've always thought it was rather pleasent. Most kids have returned to school by that point and the majority of people don't take off for vacation within the first couple weeks of school going back. But, even if it does turn out to be really crowded, it's not like it will ruin your trip. there are fastpasses, there are shows, etc etc. As long as you go in expecting it to be hot, and expecting that you may have crowds, you'll be fine. It's the blissfully ignorant people who assume everything will be perfect, that end up making themselves crazy.

Last week I had had all I could take from overzealous busybody coworkers. Someone told me for the 50th time how hot it is going to be and I just raised my hands and said "Announcement: As you all know, I am going to WDW. I realize it is going to be hot, and being as it is one of the top tourist locations in the world, I also realize it may be crowded. Therefore no one else needs to point out these things to me. I appreciate your concern, and these points have been duely noted"

Everyone was like OMG! For a couple seconds and then life moved on. A couple people even came to apologize later in the day and told me they had no idea they were stressing me out or annoying me and that they were very sorry.

Upvote 0

msthunder

Original Poster

More swimming pool time = more poolside daiquiris :kiss: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Sept 1-7, I would guess that parks would be pretty busy the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Usually, when it's peak WDW time, Magic Kingdom is the busiest. Maybe think about spending your first few days focusing more on the other parks, maybe hit a water park if it's in the budget.

Upvote 0

msthunder

Original Poster
Sept 2nd - SeaWorld
Sept 3rd - Magic Kingdom
Sept 4th - ANimal Kingdom
Sept 5th - MGM
Sept 6th - Typhoon Lagoon
Sept 7th - Epcot.

That is our tenative schedule. I scheduled MK on Sept 3rd because its stay open so late on that day.

Upvote 0

SANDKRUSER

This is a great thread! Everyone has been "right on". Our first trip, I spent months planning - I was packing suitcases 2 months in advance - my husband called our extra room the "staging area". Every tip I read, I packed something for or wrote it down. We got there - we basically ran from place to place - (you know the people - the ropes drop and they start running with their maps and then you see them throughout the day running from attraction to attraction) - that was us! And at that time there was no fast pass. We went during Spring Break and ended up waiting in a lot of long lines - stressing out because we weren't on schedule. It was NOT FUN!!!! We were there 6 days, didn't see half of what our itinerary was and ended up being somewhat disappointed (because we didn't see it all) but learned a valuable lesson - you can't see it all! There's too much and it constantly is changing. Now, 12 trips later, we make a plan as to where we'll be each day and maybe a dinner reservation or two but otherwise, each day is subject to change. Sometimes we just sit on a bench and people watch. (The benches before you go into Adventureland to the left of the Castle are great place. The benches on the path behind Toontown to Space Mountain are a great, quiet place to just sit and relax.) It's SO much better. And the magic is better than ever!

Just take it slow and enjoy everything you can.:wave:

Upvote 0

Lanipie

I will be the redneck that doesn't know where to put my fingers with the moleskin on my forehead.:wave: :lol:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Hey Mississippi! My best friend lives in Tupelo!

Anything recognizable I might know you by? Another girl I've talked to gave me a picture of a tag she will have on her backpack so if i see that tag, then I've found her!

I've got two different tinkerbell shirts. one green and one peachy colored, brown hair just below shoulder length.

I know that's like a needle in a haystack, but it's always fun to have to someone to keep an eye out for no matter how impossible it sounds!

Upvote 0

msthunder

Original Poster
HAHAHAHAHA!

Hey Mississippi! My best friend lives in Tupelo!

Anything recognizable I might know you by? Another girl I've talked to gave me a picture of a tag she will have on her backpack so if i see that tag, then I've found her!

I've got two different tinkerbell shirts. one green and one peachy colored, brown hair just below shoulder length.

I know that's like a needle in a haystack, but it's always fun to have to someone to keep an eye out for no matter how impossible it sounds!

Lets see,, just below shoulder length brown hair,,, small camoflauge backpack with a 7year old boy and a griping blond headed husband

Upvote 0

NeedABreak

I will be the redneck that doesn't know where to put my fingers with the moleskin on my forehead.:wave: :lol:

I'm in MS as well, Flowood, just outside of Jackson. You guys are gonna have so much fun! Me and the future wife are going sept. 17th for our honnymoon. We both can't wait till we can go with a kid of our own. When your running around takeing pictures of everthing make sure to get a few good shots of his reactions, like the first time he sees main street or frontier land.

BTW mole skin can be your friend. My fiancee has a lot of trouble with blisters when she tries to keep up with me in the parks. The moleskin made all the diffrence. Pack it.

Upvote 0

msthunder

Original Poster
I'm in MS as well, Flowood, just outside of Jackson. You guys are gonna have so much fun! Me and the future wife are going sept. 17th for our honnymoon. We both can't wait till we can go with a kid of our own. When your running around takeing pictures of everthing make sure to get a few good shots of his reactions, like the first time he sees main street or frontier land.

BTW mole skin can be your friend. My fiancee has a lot of trouble with blisters when she tries to keep up with me in the parks. The moleskin made all the diffrence. Pack it.

I am in Vicksburg:wave:

I have my moleskin packed in my brand new first aid kit.

Upvote 0

joelleharbert

OK, I can totally relate to you! Two years ago, my husband finally, after many years of begging, agreed to take the whole family to WDW. Because I thought this might be our one and only trip, I put my heart and soul into planning. I bought every guidebook, subscribed to every WDW website, spent hours upon hours researching. I started planning in March for our Feb. trip the following year. I was obsessed with itineraries and dining plans and resorts, etc. At one point, my mother was worried I was developing OCD over the whole trip. I'm telling you, nuclear scientists had nothing on my researching skills. Anyway, in Sept. of that year, my husband was scheduled to go on a business trip to Orlando and I was going along sans kids to "prepare" for our family trip in February. To make a long story even longer, Hurricane Ivan came and his business trip got cancelled. After a few temper tantrums on my part, I was able to convince him to go the third week of September with the whole family. I carried my itineraries and dining reservations and tips (and whatever else would fit in my industrial-sized backpack) with me to the MK on our first day and after walking around for half of a day with no waits whatsoever, I went back to our cabin at FW and threw everything away. When we go this Sept, the only preparation I have done is decide what parks to visit on what days only so I can make our dining reservations. I don't care this time if we don't see everything. On our last trip, I had myself so stressed out that by the middle of the week, I had a mental breakdown cry :cry: in the middle of Downtown Disney because I was so worried that I wasn't showing everyone a good time that I had no time to enjoy anything MYSELF. Little kids looked at me like I had grown three heads and older folks must have thought I finally went over the edge. :eek: It wasn't until Hurricane Jeanne came through on our last day there that I finally relaxed in our room with nothing to do but watch TV and read magazines. Just relax and try to have a good time or you'll have spent alot of money to drive yourself nuts!

P.S. I like the daquiri idea, anyway, though!

Upvote 0

KKnopf

Just relax, and enjoy your family… Go with the flow…
<O:p</O:p
When we were on the MK train last May, we were sitting behind a family whom the Mom and Dad were arguing because they were off schedule, when they held up their schedule it read like this:
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:time Hour=
</st1:time>

<font size=" /><st1:time Hour="9" Minute="0">9:00</st1:time> Big thunder Mountain

<st1:time Hour="9" Minute="15">9:15</st1:time> <ST1:place><st1:placeName>Splash</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Mountain</st1:placeType></ST1:place>
<st1:time Hour="9" Minute="30">9:30</st1:time> Breakfast
etc….
<O:p
I kid you not their days were planned out in 15-minute intervals….

It is good to have some basic “plan of attack” but within reason and go with the flow…

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom