What Happens To Left Behind Stuff?

Tracy girlie

We left a photo pack from Chef Mickeys once. BLT staff knew of it but were unable to locate it before we were due on Magical Express. It was mailed to our home with an extra drawing of Mickey thanking my daughter for coming to see him at breakfast. Above and beyond doesn’t even do the service the staff provided justice.
The day before we are leaving, we watch for families checking in and offer them any extra water or unopened groceries. We weren’t sure if mousekeeping was instructed to discard those kinds of things, so we figured it was the safer bet to making sure stuff didn’t get wasted or end up in trash.
Also, my dear sweet forgetful hubby has recovered everything he’s ever left at a park from lost and found. From glasses to car keys, we’ve gotten them all back within 24 hours.

lazyboy97o

Not saying it would happen at Disney ... but I'd be awfully hesitant to take some food item home or other thing you could use that was left behind by a stranger because of the off chance that someone would taint the product. There are crazies out there and who knows what they could slip into a package and reseal so you wouldnt know it was tampered with. Todays a different era where anything could happen, even at Disney.
Thank you for a proper answer.
I agree with any consumables. It could be risky.
How is this any riskier than buying something at a grocery store? If you buy something and return it sealed they will restock that item.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Disney has a lost and found and everything goes there and you can file a claim online describing the item and when they find it they will send it to you. Just last month my wife left a couple of the kids' swimming trunks and bathing suits in the room when we checked out and Disney sent them to us in the mail a couple of weeks later after finding them in the lost and found. We are still waiting on my little girl's blanket. My little boy had a blanket he was in LOOOOOOVE with when he was really little and he dropped it on Main St and when we realized it it was too late and he couldn't sleep without it or anything and so my wife really panicked and the front desk of Bay Lake Tower actually sent a CM to Wal Mart to buy a similar blanket that night just so he'd maybe be able to sleep! So then the next day we went over to the old lost and found near the T&T Center and we walked in and asked for it and they went and looked and came out with it and my son's eyes lit up and he reached for it and got it back and his thumb went right in his mouth and he went right to sleep. We've had tons of great experiences with CM's over the years but them going to buy him a blanket will always be one of the nicest things they've ever done for us. THAT is the "Disney difference".

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney closed their lost and found and at that time it has gone to an outside contractor. That is the reason for the change in procedure for filing a claim, it is all online match and generally a longer timeframe and from the threads on FB on lost and found guests luck isn’t as good. I wouldn’t necessarily put all the blame onto housekeeping.

Food doesn’t get shipped to lost and found nor toiletries. It was the practice that housekeeping could keep food items like mentioned if they wished. I left a cheap 4 draw set shipped from amazon with a note attached abandoned and free to some who wants and signed it

The common guest practice is to leave weird items not going home in laundry room with a note free. I’ve seen things like umbrellas strollers, pool toys, spray suntan lotions, ponchos. Last year my DD for many reasons was there for a month and worked out of her room. She left in laundry a monitor and a keyboard tagged free.

bUU

How is this any riskier than buying something at a grocery store? If you buy something and return it sealed they will restock that item.
Chain of custody. Every step along the way from manufacture to your purchase, the item has been under the control of someone who can be held accountable for the safety of the item. Even on the shelf in the store, the store is accountable to watching to make sure that some miscreant isn't surreptitiously violating the integrity of the product. Not so with items left behind in a hotel room. The previous occupant of the room is not a legitimate target for accountability. Legally, the liability for whatever bad happens as a result of something left behind and not properly disposed of is placed entirely on the hotel.

Walt Disney1955

Last trip, I packed some sodas in my luggage so I wouldn't purchase so many. I ended up leaving 4 behind. I'm just wondering, does Mousekeeping get to keep anything like that or does it get trashed? I used to buy shampoo for my trip, leaving almost a full bottle behind.

I don't know so much what happens with stuff that never gets claimed, all I know is that on two separate occasions our family has lost a hat (Splash Mountain) and sunglasses (either in Tiki Birds or Pirates) and both were mailed to us in a couple of weeks after we reported it on the way out. Unreal really.

Goofyernmost

If you're referring to the needle in the Pepsi can, that was confirmed to be a hoax. Furthermore, it is virtually impossible. Sorry to divert off the thread, but wanted to make sure we're not spreading false info here. Carry on. :)
I wasn't referencing anything, just that it is possible to do anything. Not likely, but, possible. To be honest I didn't even know about the needle in the Pepsi Can so I'm glad it was a hoax. Paranoia is want feeds that stuff, just like one of the reasons that the stopped using powdered soap in the rest room coincided with the anthrax scare a few years back. That may or may not have been the reason, but, that was certainly possible and easy to do and understand.

SteamboatJoe

SteamboatJoe

(most) grocery stores do not restock consumables. they will return them, but they are thrown away.
Correct. Perishables (meat, seafood, produce, dairy, deli) especially get trashed or composted. They have no idea if it was stored at proper temperatures or who/what touched it.

Source: Worked as a grocery clerk for almost 10 years.

Polydweller

As a hotelier, most jurisdictions health codes require that we dispose of any food and drink items left behind. There is no way to know if items have been tampered with, even bottles and cans. There has been a lot more tampering of products than the high profile cases that make the press suggest. So the official policy will be to dispose of any products.

NickPytlinski

my brother in law dropped his phone whilst in hollywood studios.

it had only been gone around 30 minutes when he noticed, he went to guest relation/lost n found. He described the phone.
it was there!
thats some quick work from finding the item to getting it to lost n found.

good work Disney CM's

not too sure what would happen with unclaimed phones though, not sure how often that would happen unless dropped on an indoor ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom