What does the future hold for Epcot?

Communicore

Epcot theme park is alive and well. It's EPCOT Center that does not exist. I already have the mentality that Epcot theme park is a "new phase park" and totally unrelated to EPCOT Center except for its structures. It's as if EPCOT Center told Epcot theme park to go ahead and use my buildings but you can never be me.

raven

Sadly, I could easily see myself doing it. Especially after Arrendelle has been added. I suppose I could just view it as another great addition to World Showcase with the most recent being the little known country, "African Outpost". But, I can't.

The focusing on ideas is key. Back when UoE was updated if they had focused on keeping the show grand and presenting the most recent advances in energy (lots of work is done on energy, it is a very important topic, every 15 years or so you could really have an inspired update) instead of giving us a mildly comedic, celebrity oriented show I think the pavilion would be more popular than it is now. If you focus on ideas around FW and history and culture around WS you don't get Nemo in the Living Seas and Donald Duck in Mexico.

On a more basic level, it seems to me that the size and scope of EPCOT has allowed a certain laziness to creep in with regards to how the park is managed. Oh, there are other pavilions with multiple attractions so we can use this gigantic building to store flower bins and whatnot. This here gigantic fast food restaurant can sit abandoned and be used on occasion for festivals and big wig functions since we have so many other places to eat. Certainly we don't need to have a play area that big in Imagination. The movie we use for Soarin sure looks crappy but people still stand in line for it, so I guess it is fine. American Adventure is so well done, I don't think we ever have to add permanent attractions to WS. People still like the night time show so we never have to produce a new one. We can start the babyfication of the whole park and still make it appealing to adults by offering the chance to get a mild buzz by paying $36.50 for 3 ounces of alcohol. These lumberjacks sound like they would be a good addition, I'm tired of that band anyway. Did anyone like them? MJ died. We can honor him by bringing back Captain EO for a year or two. Has it been 5 already? I think the vaguely Christmas themed topiary we put up in front of the Land pavilion should do just fine for Christmas decorations, thank you very much. No one will notice that parades are now impossible due to the walkway being over run with drunkytown kiosks. The only way I can think of to get kids in the park is franchise tie ins. Otherwise, we might have to actually do something interesting. No one will notice that we don't have flamingos anymore so I think the flamingo rotisserie idea that Phil came up with is a fine idea.
It needs more though. Besides test track and soring there's little to see and it's why the lines are so longgggg. Most other rides/ attractions has some nostalgia but way past due in future land. I was uncomfortable watching Michael Jackson knowing. Was not entertaining. Showcase is great for eating and walking and occasional shopping... No complaints there. Lol.

They've also taken the timelessness out of certain attractions. UoE in its Ellen form is infinitely more dated than the original show, which was haunting, to say the least. Never mind the scientific data, I'm just going by presentation. When the dinosaur part hit in its original version, it was eerie, transcendent, beautiful...and then it became "oh cool, dinosaurs....hi Ellen!"

The Living Seas has so much potential. The Nemo ride is just another example of the "copy-and-paste, merely sum up the movie, assembly line" dark ride WDW continues to force out. How old is the Nemo movie? What land does it sit in? Future World? I rest my case.

Another oxymoronic attraction is Captain Eo. Unless they're redoing FW as a memorial park for once great entertainers who later went nuts, this has no business being in the park.

I could go on and on.

Epcot uses those "empty buildings" nearly every week, and quite often at times they are filled for a full week. They rent them out for private parties which make money (the main reason to keep them as they are). Currently Epcot holds more functions like this than any of the theme parks. There are places in resorts to rent out but the excitement of being in a Disney Park attracts companies to hold it there.

The World Showplace building holds the largest kitchen in WDW and it's where they cater every event of this type on the entire WDW property (weddings, graduations, in-park celebrations and hard ticket events). That kitchen runs 24 hours a day.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Epcot uses those "empty buildings" nearly every week, and quite often at times they are filled for a full week. They rent them out for private parties which make money (the main reason to keep them as they are). Currently Epcot holds more functions like this than any of the theme parks. There are places in resorts to rent out but the excitement of being in a Disney Park attracts companies to hold it there.

The World Showplace building holds the largest kitchen in WDW and it's where they cater every event of this type on the entire WDW property (weddings, graduations, in-park celebrations and hard ticket events). That kitchen runs 24 hours a day.

I've got nothing against World Showplace. As a guest, I liked the second floor of imagination and Wonders of Life more when they were all open to guests and contained fun things to do.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I think time and progress destroyed Future World more then anything. It totally blows my Ming that Journey into Imagination and Wonders ofLife arrant super power attractions right now. Test Track sure took a breach but I think a dark ride to accompany it would be the best way to make the whole pavilion an attraction for the entire family, same with Mission Space. Journey into imagination needs to be restored and a Journey into your Wildest dreams thrill ride needs to be added.

raven

I think time and progress destroyed Future World more then anything. It totally blows my Ming that Journey into Imagination and Wonders ofLife arrant super power attractions right now. Test Track sure took a breach but I think a dark ride to accompany it would be the best way to make the whole pavilion an attraction for the entire family, same with Mission Space. Journey into imagination needs to be restored and a Journey into your Wildest dreams thrill ride needs to be added.

The other problem, which also is a nightmare on guest flow, is that some pavilions in FW have a ton of stuff to do and others just one. Imagination, Mission: Space, UoE, SSE and even Test Track to an extent have very little else to do in their attraction besides the ride itself. While in the Seas there is also Turtle talk, a restaurant and wildlife to see and The Land has 3 attractions and two restaurants. So if the other pavilions would add similar items there would be more to do at them and guests would be attracted to them. I know the 2nd floor of Imagination is in bad shape (I've been up there many times) but the area around the glass pyramid is in great shape. They could use that area for a quirky-type table-service if they thought about it and it would have great views. Mission: Space has an empty building directly next to it that the interior has never been completed (for sponsor lounge). that area could hold something small but it sits un-utilized save for some storage. Even the new Test Track could scale back the post show a bit and add a theater attraction or something.

The other problem is that FW opens 2 hours before WS does. All of those guests that swamp the park early in the morning overcrowd FW because there is not as much to do anymore.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The other problem, which also is a nightmare on guest flow, is that some pavilions in FW have a ton of stuff to do and others just one. Imagination, Mission: Space, UoE, SSE and even Test Track to an extent have very little else to do in their attraction besides the ride itself. While in the Seas there is also Turtle talk, a restaurant and wildlife to see and The Land has 3 attractions and two restaurants. So if the other pavilions would add similar items there would be more to do at them and guests would be attracted to them. I know the 2nd floor of Imagination is in bad shape (I've been up there many times) but the area around the glass pyramid is in great shape. They could use that area for a quirky-type table-service if they thought about it and it would have great views. Mission: Space has an empty building directly next to it that the interior has never been completed (for sponsor lounge). that area could hold something small but it sits un-utilized save for some storage. Even the new Test Track could scale back the post show a bit and add a theater attraction or something.

The other problem is that FW opens 2 hours before WS does. All of those guests that swamp the park early in the morning overcrowd FW because there is not as much to do anymore.
Its such an unbalanced flow of traffic, even if the attractions have to be more based on the world and how the world works more then it is about the future there are so many great great things they can fill that park with that park. It still blows my mind why they chose Universe of Energy over Wonders of life. Not to mention all that wonderful open space Universe of Energy has. Those screens would also be useful to fit the occasion.

HauntedMansionFLA

I agree. The original attraction was great for the future world concept. How much of the ocean have we explored? 5% or so. Disney could have gone the way of taking the theme they had and update the props and tech because the ideas are still futuristic. But instead they went for the easy way out. And while Nemo is not what I would call the biggest problem with Epcot, it sure isn't part of the solution. An expansion on the sea base alpha theme could have been fantastic.
I would love for the park to explore the ocean. EPCOT has so much potential but it will have to wait till they finish for Disney Springs, DHS and DAK. It needs a billion dollar make over. The possibilities are endless. Love the Oceans idea!

HauntedMansionFLA

Do you think Disney will start to sneak Star Wars into EPCOT to have it everywhere?

EnergyKing

If there is one thing I'm less excited about than Frozen and Avatar attractions, it is more Star Wars. God, can Disney please just, i don't know, look inside themselves, and dare I say, dream a little?

jensenrick

If there is one thing I'm less excited about than Frozen and Avatar attractions, it is more Star Wars. God, can Disney please just, i don't know, look inside themselves, and dare I say, dream a little?

*snort* Look inside themselves? At what? Sorry, don't mean to poo poo your earnest idea, but I don't think Disney is capable anymore.

jensenrick

As for what the future holds for Epcot? Well obviously -

Shots of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey!! On special during happy hour!

copcarguyp71

As a person who experienced the park in full bloom back in the 90's the fact that they use these spaces for 2% (guesstimate) of folks in the parks is really of very little comfort to me when I am $100 lighter (more or less) for walking through the front gate. They may be used in some capacity but they are definitely not part of the park that I once knew and loved and they are most definitely used to their full potential to bring the guest experience where it needs to be so for me....they are empty unused spaces.

Kit83

I first visited the park in Sept 1984 and while I loved the whole experience it did already feel outdated . Its a tough job to set a park up as showing the future when life now moves at such a pace . A park was opened in France called Futuroscope in 1987 it was desperately sad when it opened and still is . The modern world moves so fast now these parks will never achieve what they set out to do . The culture,wine and food aspects will always be popular.

I have been a couple of times since the 80's and still love the park . Drinking a pint at the Rose and crown while watching the evening show fantastic .

erasure fan1

While I don't want to see star wars at every turn in every park (like how Disney threw up princess over EVERYTHING) I do think Star Wars needs a section of the studios. While I love Star Wars, I know there are many who don't. The ones who really don't care that much (in my small circle anyway) are all for a Star Wars area because they see the potential to shift guests and alleviate pressure in all the parks because of how popular it is.

*snort* Look inside themselves? At what? Sorry, don't mean to poo poo your earnest idea, but I don't think Disney is capable anymore.

I think they are plenty capable , they just have no need or want to. Looking inside yourself for new ideas costs money and can be a risk if its not well received. For the most part, Disney has been in safe mode in all parts of their business for a very long time. I have no doubts that if Disney wanted to be known again for their innovation, they could. And that is the most frustrating part.

lunchbox1175

I love the World Showcase, but I would like it to be updated every 10 years, especially the movies. I guess I wish they had more of a museum feeling to them, where they had traveling exhibits from each country.

Fox&Hound

I wonder if they would ever consider changing future world to more countries? I don't know how that would work with Spaceship Earth but the idea of the future just is not working.

Or, do they keep adding cartoons to world showcase and future world and end up changing the name of the park down the road. Add Frozen, Ratatouille, Lion King, Aladdin, Tangled, etc to the world showcase end. Take Test track and retheme it to Cars. Retheme Mission Space to Wall-E. Tie Soarin' in to some franchise. Maybe Spaceship Earth becomes the story of Walt Disney and animation.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, or should happen, but the current model is soooo disjointed. It seems they should either go back to the vision or change it all together.

raven

Do you think Disney will start to sneak Star Wars into EPCOT to have it everywhere?

I sure hope not! Then again it's Disney and they are constantly hungry for money. So they just might put SW stuff at Epcot. In that case they might also have Spiderman scaling Cinderella Castle too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom