What does Dragon Challenge need?

BryceM

Original Poster
A recent discussion on another topic had me thinking...

Dueling Dragons is no more. It may have taken me a few years to fully realize this, but what once was one of my favorite roller coasters has become a shell of it's former self. No longer is there that elaborate queue, the two iconic dragon statues, the dueling aspect, the amazing name. All that's left is a pair of really fun B&M Inverts that have been half themed to Harry Potter. They don't even duel anymore. And all that's left of the queue is long, dark corridors and the amazing ride entrance is now just a... Stone arch.

So my question is, what could really finalize the change from Dueling Dragons to Dragon Challenge? Right now, it's stuck in between the two. It's still the same coaster, same color, same trains but everything amazing about the experience as a whole has been removed and slapped on with a little bit of Potter take it's place.

I think some steps in the right direction would be:

1. A track re-paint. Make the Hungarian Horntail a faint gold and possibly the Chinese Fireball a lighter brown. I think these colors would contrast less with the surrounding area and it would look more natural.

2. Foliage! Maybe some tall pines around the track and fancy rock-work. Really make it a forest. Right now, the grass and water is not cutting it.

cheezbat

Your wish for Pine will come true as for the repaint the jury is still out.

I had figured down the road we'd see some serious tree work added to the area to help with all of the construction and not so nice scenery on the ride.

I hope to someday see the Forbidden Journey building covered up by mountainous rockwork too...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Your wish for Pine will come true as for the repaint the jury is still out.

This is VERY welcome new.

As I am sure you are fully aware of... B&M Invert + Trees = Sex

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
But with tall pine trees, it will look even better.

Good portion of the photo is the coaster in a ravine 30-40ft down. Seeing it at other angles shows the tall oaks and pines all around it. 170ft coaster with trees looks far different than a 125ft coaster with tree (or without should say).

BryceM

Original Poster
Good portion of the photo is the coaster in a ravine 30-40ft down. Seeing it at other angles shows the tall oaks and pines all around it. 170ft coaster with trees looks far different than a 125ft coaster with tree (or without should say).
Oh, well yes! I know Alpengeist really makes use of the terrain. I'm just saying that tall pines will truly make Dragon Challenge look amazing, instead of grass and ponds.

cheezbat

Alpengeist is the tallest inverted coaster. Knowing Dragon Challenge is considerably shorter reassures me that much can be hidden by tall trees. I look forward to the end result.

YodaMan

If they can never duel again, I hope they add some sort of "story." Forbidden Journey works well because of the plot leading up to the ride. Mayhaps if they add elements in the queue (signs, narrations, etc) that explain things, it will work better. You could "be Harry" and prepare for the first task, but have to wait for Cedric to finish his turn first. Maybe have something in the queue with Hagrid and learning about the dragons ahead. As it stands, the ride is just a mess of Potter memorabilia and an unconnected ride. Is there anything related to that? What is the connection to "being a Dragon" and dueling? It feels so removed from the attempted realism of riding a broom or flying a hippogriif.

WED99

What about an audio loop as your ride? Binaural sound or something that makes it feel like the dragon is roaring at you.

disney fan 13

DC's theming has never bothered me, and adding pine would make it even better. What bugs me is the exposed showbuilding on FJ... Seriously... Did they run out of cash or something? At the very least I would love to see some rockwork up there before Phase two opens so the whole "world" is amazing.

djlaosc

I have to agree with everyone else - repainting and landscaping!

Hungarian Horntails are black and Chinese Fireballs are Scarlet.

Here is the Dragon Task Scene from HPatGoF

So landscaping should be a stadium around the outside, or at least places where you can stand and watch, and there should be rockwork all over the bottom, and areas where you fly between rocks, and there should be a golden egg somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom