What do you think about Disney building a sports stadium at WDW????

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Being that there's already championship golf, ESPN Zone, All Star Sports resort, and the Atlanta Braves training camp is there, what good or bad would come out of them building a football/baseball stadium on or near Disney property where games could be played (i.e. Super Bowl). Disney could even get into acquiring their own football team.

What do you think????

4.gif
14.gif

Kamikaze

It will happen eventually.
The way TV ratings for sports are going, eventually everything will be broadcast on ESPN. Once that happens, it would be in ESPN's best interest to have a stadium of its own to host the major events in, so that the sports can come to them instead of the other way around. Since there is no way they'd build in Bristol, the next logical spot is WDW.

So yes, it will happen. Maybe not a football stadium, but definitely a hockey/basketball arena, sure.

krankenstein

The only thing I can possibly see is The Magic moving to WWOS because Florida has enough major sports teams currently. I mean, they have 3 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, 2 NHL teams, 2 NBA teams and a ton of NCAA teams in the state. Daytona is one of the biggest venues for NASCAR and it's within an hour of WDW (Plus, Disney tried NASCAR and failed horribly at it). UCF just opened a new field, no need for them to start having events on WDW property. Orlando already has a bowl (Champs Sports Bowl) which is fairly close to property. Basically, I don't see a need for expansion on that scale right now. :shrug:

KingStefan

And thats why the Rays have sent games up to WDW for the last two years, right?

Even the Tampa teams know that Orlando is a better location.

What I originally meant was that the area couldn't support another new MLB team (or another new major sports team in another sport - as krankenstein said).

Even still, they played one series each in 2007 and 2008. Do you think that is a basis for saying that if Disney built a new MLB stadium that the Rays would move out of Tropicana Field and up to Orlando? Is that what you mean? I'm not a huge sports fan, so idk, maybe you're right. But just from a business case standpoint, it doesn't seem likely to me.

TheOneVader

The only sports team to be permanently placed on Disney property was a minor league baseball team that had miserable attendance. People come to Disney from all over the world to enjoy the parks and not to support a local Orlando team. An NFL sized stadium used for only special events will not justify the cost.

GrumpyFan

Hmmm... not sure about them buying a team. They've been down that road before. They used to own the Anaheim Angels (baseball) and the Ducks (hockey), but sold both teams. So, I think they've had their share of owning teams for now. I might could see them building a mega-size sports arena, but not without a lot of cooperation with the city of Orlando, which in the current politcal environment, I can't see.

BillsFanGabe

I am a huge fan and supporter of the Buffalo Bills as you can tell by my screen name, but yeah it would be pretty sweet if Disney built a football stadium and if they owned an NFL team as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom