What could Disney do better with wwohp if they wouldve won the licence?

Animaniac93-98

Why would the Potter franchise just die off in a year or two after going for 13 years already? Who's to say more spin-off books, TV shows, movies and merch won't continue after the films of the original seven books are released to DVD/Blu-ray? Like Star Wars, it will in all probability continue for awhile into the future. Nobody is going to let it die off quickly without a fight.

I just hope nothing as horrendous as the Star Wars Holiday Special will be made for Harry and friends.

stlbobby

Actually Beast Castle will fit with Disney theming and compliment the ICON. HP does not fit nor does it compliment. UNI is better with this one and I am Glad Disney passed on it. Now I could not see HP being a very productive Land after about three years. Once all the Movies are finished, you know how kids are they will move on to something else. This attraction is not like the Star Wars theming that has stood the test of time for over 20 years. I feel no one will care to much about HP when the movies are over and Uni will once again be sadly looking at why is my parks attandance so low. Uni builds for the now and not for the long run.

Really for well over 30 years. Star Wars, A New Hope to some, was released in 1977, but the marketing machine began even before that. I'm not trying to quibble, but I just think people tend to forget how old Star Wars really is, and I think it drives your point home even more, and makes me feel old.

Star Wars also masterfully captured both young and adult audiences from the beginnings. Some of the original fans were 60 when it was released others 5. Harry isn't strictly kiddy fare, but it isn't as adult friendly as Star Wars.

The original movie has a real 70's cinema sensibility to it. Remember Lucas came from the same group of filmmakers that made The Godfather, MASH, Apocalypse Now, Mean Streets, and Last Picture Show. These were Lucas' collaborators and contemporaries. This all gives the originally trilogy and authenticity that HP just doesn't have.

The other advantage Star Wars has is the time between the two trilogies was so great that two separate generations became loyal fans. When you throw in the various cartoons, comic books, books, and games it has an insanely long shelf life. It is one of the few properties that kids see as cool, even really young kids, that dates back to their parents' time.

Having said that I don't think Harry will be just a flash in the pan. With all the books and movies this will be a steady draw for years to come. I would also bet that Rowling will relent and cash in on the property once her nostalgia wears off a bit.

Even if she doesn't want to write more books herself, she can sell the rights and let others explore the world. She has tons of options, she can let it go completely, retain final editorial rights, or just let others work in the world of HP with new characters, all of which would extend the shelf life. Either way HP will be drawing fans years down the road just like Peter Pan and Lion King.

Buried20KLeague

I have had heard this as well. The way it was described to me was WDI breathed a collective sigh of relief when US got the deal.

WDI might have been happy... But I'm quite sure the bean counters were not. I don't know how they COULD be. So JKR wants to okay everything and be part of the process... Why would they care?

Funny, too, how since UNI was announced as getting HP, all the talk has been about how hard it would be because JKR was going to be involved... By all reports, it seems like it's a damn good thing she was!! Maybe WDI shouldn't have been so concerned they couldn't work with her. :shrug:

Not directed AT you, Yoda. :wave:

EDIT TO ADD: I think the original question is a little silly. Who's to say Disney would have done ANYTHING better? By all accounts, UNI has a massive hit on their hands, and probably the best ride in the world now. Hard to improve on that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why would the Potter franchise just die off in a year or two after going for 13 years already?
Does it matter? If you have a strong theme park product it will stand by itself.

Spiderman was crowned best ride in the world before the first new movie came out. Before that it was living on the legacy of the name, comics and dubious 1970's movies. The ride itself was taken for what it was.

Animaniac93-98

Does it matter? If you have a strong theme park product it will stand by itself.

Spiderman was crowned best ride in the world before the first new movie came out. Before that it was living on the legacy of the name, comics and dubious 1970's movies. The ride itself was taken for what it was.

I agree, I never said a good ride wouldn't (see Splash Mountain). I was merely saying the Potter franchise as a whole will continue to be expanded and have some staying power.

MKCP 1985

I don't see Harry Potter going away any time soon. The seventh movie in the franchise will come out soon, and then the eighth a year or so after that. There is already some noise about prequels and there is plenty of interest in the characters whose lives were snuffed along the way as well as the ones who survived to the end.

The Magic Kingdom is full of characters who've not had any new stories told for generations but that hasn't hindered their ability to draw enormous crowds. :) :shrug:

What would Disney have done with Harry Potter? By all accounts, Universal has done a solid job with the franchise. Disney would undoubtedly do a better job of crowd control. Who ever heard of spending any time at all just trying to get into an area at a Disney park?

lazyboy97o

I am not really sure why Rowling wanting control is such a big deal. Did not Lucas get control over Star Tours and Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular? The big difference I see is that Lucas was accepting of an attraction and not demanding a full on land.

A park would have been a bad idea as it would have been extremely limited on what could be offered in the future. As of now, Rowling does not seem willing to have an "expanded universe" from which new stories, attractions, shops, etc. can be derived or derived on their own.

shipley731

WDI might have been happy... But I'm quite sure the bean counters were not. I don't know how they COULD be. So JKR wants to okay everything and be part of the process... Why would they care?

Because while JK Rowling is a hell of an author, she's not a theme park designer with an idea of how to deal with capacity issues. Just my opinion.

The Empress Lilly

I doubt if WDW could've pulled Potter off this well. Tokyo, certainly. Orlando, probably not.

Sad.

Life actor movies usually don't stand the test of time well. Although the fantasy setting of HP might prolong their lifespan.
HP itself could well be here to stay - there is a genuine attraction to the books and characters.

I, for one, do not necessarily wish to see Potter in WDW.
I am happy to see it at Universal, and am delighted at the rave reviews. I will certainly check it out next trip.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Funny, too, how since UNI was announced as getting HP, all the talk has been about how hard it would be because JKR was going to be involved... By all reports, it seems like it's a damn good thing she was!! Maybe WDI shouldn't have been so concerned they couldn't work with her. :shrug:

Not directed AT you, Yoda. :wave:

EDIT TO ADD: I think the original question is a little silly. Who's to say Disney would have done ANYTHING better? By all accounts, UNI has a massive hit on their hands, and probably the best ride in the world now. Hard to improve on that.
Being able to create a series of books like Potter and translating that work into a theme park land are 2 very different skill sets. You have to do more than just build the town you imagined. Issues like capacity, guest flow, economic viability, etc all have to be planned out. From my understanding this is where Rowling and WDI came to an impasse. After what we have seen with the stores and there apparent disregard for capacity and guest flow it looks like US ignored decades worth of experience in theme park management and just gave Rowling her way. Time will tell if that was a good decision or not.

Mr Bill

We'd have a roller coaster with an animatronic dragon you see for two seconds, but when you factor in the flashing strobe light that's distracting you from the fact that the dragon isn't moving, you've only seen it for one second in total.

dweezil78

Ok, I promised my source I wouldn't share any of this...but when HP was up for grabs the Disney execs actually came up with a wish list of concepts they sent to the Imagineers to start thinking about should a deal ever pan out. I'll probably get in serious trouble for leaking this here (or at least my friend will - ha ha ), but I'm willing to take one for the team. Here goes...

TOP SECRET: HARRY POTTER RIDE CONCEPTS FROM DISNEY EXECS

1) Harry Potter and the Tower of Terror (Seriously people, no one is watching the Twilight Zone anymore. It's in black and white for crying out loud! If HP doesn't happen, Twilight is the backup. Just scratch out a few 'Zones' and viola, we're in business baby!)

2) The Hogwarts Mansion (We'll change some music, add some props, wham bam! Then we changed "Haunted" to "Hogwarts." We're literally only having to change, what, 4 letters on the signs?)

3) Journey into Wizarding with Dobby! (Two days downtime MAX, but go ahead and take a year so we can save a little. Do we even need an explanation?)

4) Dementor Encounter with Voldemort (Ok, ok - everyone hated Stitch. We blame Michael, totally his idea. This is GOLD though. I know, you're also going to ask what does this have to do with Tomorrowland? Would you people just stop asking questions you know we can't answer?)

We have a few others in mind. We think a Pirate overlay would be teh bombz, but now we've got that new movie coming out so, you know...

Love,
Disney Execs

perrych

I'm pretty certain the train would actually TAKE you to Hogwarts instead of just spewing smoke. Walt loved his trains. You might also have the option of taking a boat to Hogwarts too (like in the movies).

The womping tree would be a ride, like Dumbo or Aladdin. Something for the little kids (and big kids too!).

You would definitely have a magic show somewhere. Street "wizards" doing tricks.

I agree with others, there would certainly be a meet and greet. Certainly a picture with Hagrid. Probably a picture opportunity with Dobby.

A playground would probably be there too.

bgraham34

To be honest if Disney won the right i don't think they could have pulled off what US did. As much as we think the Disney Imagineers are great I just don't think IMHO they would have pulled it off. I might think differently when the Fantasyland expansion is complete but time will tell. And for those who said that Potter only added 1 new attraction and rethemed a few others what do you think Fantasyland is, except for the new meet and greats.

Eyorefan

Two words, Guest Flow.

Just looking at the pictures from Friday I really wonder how many of the people who stood in that line are iching to return. I'm a huge HP fan. I went to midnight book parties for the last four books. I have been to the opening night of every movie. I can't see myself waiting in that kind of line for anything.

And once you actually GET into the land, I can't see how it would be fun to walk around in a place that was that jam packed with people. From everything I have read here I belive that Universal probably did an awesome job with themeing. I believe the ride is something worth experiancing. On those counts I'm not sure Disney would have done a better job. I just wonder how "magicial" it is to stand sholder to sholder with thousands of strangers in the hot Florida sun. I don't care how themed an area is if you can't walk around it.

If Disney ever does anything right any more, they still know how to move a crowd and that is just as important as theme.

Thrill Seeker

To seriously answer this question: No. Universal was willing to put the time and effort to create a pretty much perfect land that is exactly what Potter fans have been dreaming of. Sure it's small, but to the fans of the series, that doesn't matter. All the merch is a huge plus and having the best ride ever created is also one. Universal hit this one out of the park and I can only hope that after the retheming of Marvel Island is complete (obviously their next project) that an expansion covering the rest of Lost Continent will make it even better!

RoRo

Nothing would be better, in fact if Disney did it might have done it worse. They might have made FJ an omnimover tour instead of a cutting edge attraction. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom