What could be coming to EPCOT next!

OvertheHorizon

I have always loved Epcot. It is my favorite park at WDW. But it needs love. If I could wave a magic wand, these are the changes I would make for starters:

1) Repaint the Communicore buildings.
2) Move those cold, sterile, stone markers out of the park entry and put flowers back.
3) Imagination needs re-imagined... Disney is one of the most creative companies in the world. It ought to be a slam dunk.
4) Energy needs an update, with more on alternate energy sources, since that will be our future
5) Begin a program of adding countries to World Showcase (India, Brazil and Russia mentioned above would be a good start).
6) I believe both the Germany and Japanese pavilions were initially built with space to add an attraction. Should be relatively easy to build out those spaces with something new.

As far as Future World, Disney has to think about their overall concept. The original plan had corporate sponsors for all of the FW pavilions. But they are falling by the wayside. Only 3 pavilions have sponsors now, and how long will those last? I have no problem with Future World pavilion subject matter being presented in a family friendly way with characters from Disney movies. Others have mentioned Edu - tainment, and doing that with Disney film characters should be easy.

ctrlaltdel

Here's the thing: Future World should be easily fixable. We are in the midst of the greatest technological advancement in human history. There's a ton of cool stuff that they could upgrade and show off. Just make it the world's greatest science museum with the coolest tech. Get kids interested in science by showing them the awesome real-world applications of this new tech. It could really be something if (a big if) Disney just invests in it.

G WDW

Future world (specifically Innoventions) should actually be futuristic *gasp*. It feels incredibly dated and irrelevant. My past few visits to EPCOT, I have gone on Test Track and Soarin', and then headed to WS to explore the countries and eat. Mission Space definitely needs help. I find it dated and not very fun at all. I think the Seas with Nemo and Friends is completely fine for the time being, and I don't think adding new countries to WS is the most pressing thing (although I think it should be done eventually, and would be great). Coasters/dark rides in all the countries sounds awesome, but most likely won't happen because A.) There isn't enough space without expansion for each country to have a ride & B) WDW is not putting in 11 new rides, especially since they would not be marquee attractions like Soarin'. I think the three areas most in need of help are: 1) Ellen's Energy and the Energy Pavillion 2) Captain EO/ Figment (I always forget what that area is called, probably because I haven't been there in more than five years). 3.) Innoventions. They could do some really great things in Innoventions that would be 'edu-tainment'. I'm really hoping WDW does something great and makes EPCOT the park it can, and should be, especially since it's time for an upgrade (MK got Fantasyland, AK is in the process of Pandora, HS is getting a big rehaul and TS & SWL, so EPCOT should come after HS)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here's the thing: Future World should be easily fixable. We are in the midst of the greatest technological advancement in human history. There's a ton of cool stuff that they could upgrade and show off. Just make it the world's greatest science museum with the coolest tech. Get kids interested in science by showing them the awesome real-world applications of this new tech. It could really be something if (a big if) Disney just invests in it.

Key word there is INVEST Disney does not invest in anything but IP purchases and stock repurchase programs to boost the stock price (which are no longer working as the DIS price is dropping like a rock).

Buckle up folks it's gonna be a bumpy ride (and a sucktastic one for parks fans).

prberk

There are tons of things I'd personally love to see. A new country or two with attractions not attached to Disney IP would be great. Putting something new where the pavilion formerly known as Wonders of Life sits would be great. A strong update to Universe of energy and pretty much anything at all done to improve the Imagination pavilion would thrill me.

... But you didn't ask what I wanted. You asked what I thought was next and sadly, if I had to guess, I'd say another alcohol stand somewhere in World Showcase. :(

Mr. Promey!! I have missed you. Perhaps we have been just missing each other, but I have missed your comments around here.

Glad to see you posting again!

Sadly, I don't think much has changed in what would be a topic on what they should do for EPCOT since the times when you and I were most active the first time around (in the early 2000s).

Kman101

What's coming?

97umd.jpg

RSoxNo1

Imagination pavilion has to be first. Then Energy. Both areas have worlds of potential. Can't believe they haven't been revamped yet. Insult to our intelligence really. And our wallet/purses/***** packs...etc
I'd bet that Energy is first. I suspect it draws less so they can get capacity over there first before closing down Imagination.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I think if you have money allocated to Epcot it needs to be to add a new ride to a shuttered or new location. The rest of the rides should undergo maintenance as soon as that ride opens and then everything should be reevaluated as to whether you should redo an existing attraction (aside from just refurb).

HauntedMansionFLA

Future World East:

Test Track and Mission Space are in good shape.
Energy adventure needs major updating. There is never more than a 5 minute wait for this ride.
Innoventions East needs some worth seeing. It would be nice if they would put something in educating the younger generation Walt's original vision for EPCOT.
The Festival Center could go back to having a ride or two in it.
I'm not sure what Odyssey Center.

Future World West:

Sounds like Living With the land is getting updated right now.
Soarin' is getting updated.
Get rid of EO and replace it with something fresh and clever.
Update Figment - people love the character.
Update ImageWorks.

Other:

Update SpaceEarth
Fix broken fountains / music
Repaint FutureWorld

Probably a billion dollar makeover but EPCOT has so much potential. This park can really take the pressure off the Magic Kingdom. It will be interesting to see what happens when Frozen takes over and much of a shift you see the crowds move over to please their children. This is a golden opportunity Disney has but they have to deal with DHS first.

captainmoch

Don't shoot me, but... I'd love for the Ratatouille ride from DLP to come to the French pavilion. But I think we should get WoL, Energy, Innoventions West, and Imagination revamps first. Imagination should keep Figment as he's still a popular merch-selling character, WoL could potentially get Inside Out, and I'd say get rid of Energy entirely and put something completely new and interesting in it's place, and I like the idea of a robotics pavillion themed to Big Hero 6 in Innoventions West.

ProfSavage

Here's what I would love to see added to WS:
India-they have the world's second highest population and should be included. They could build a recreation of the Taj Mahal with a restaurant/shopping and possibly a film about India and or some kind of ride based on one of their folklore.

I always imagined what an amazing ride for India would be be, based one something from the Vedas or the Bhagavad Gita with some of the AAs and other tech used in Mystic Manor...

Brer Panther

Here's what I'd do...

- The old name, EPCOT Center, returns.
- Spaceship Earth is given new narration from Morgan Freeman, and gone is the stupid screen-based finale.
- Not sure what to do with Innoventions...
- Ellen's Energy Adventure becomes an updated version of the original Universe of Energy attraction hosted by Jim Parsons (no, he would not be in character as Sheldon).
- Wonders of Life becomes a new pavilion about weather, with a simulator attraction, a theatrical show, and play area.
- Mission: SPACE is replaced by an updated version of Horizons.
- Soarin' Over the World opens, of course...
- The live guides for Living With the Land are brought back.
- The Land also receives FOOD! A Salute to Good Nutrition, an updated Kitchen Kabaret hosted by Fud Wrapper.
- Nemo and friends flee EPCOT for Disney's Animal Kingdom. The Living Seas gets its old name back. The dark ride becomes a new version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea using Tokyo's ride technology.
- The space between The Land and The Living Seas is used for a new pavilion, SPACE: The Final Frontier, featuring a dark ride, restaurant, and shop.
- Dreamfinder returns to EPCOT in a new version of the Journey Into Imagination attraction. Upstairs ImageWorks reopens. Not sure what I'd do about Captain EO.
- Mexico's Gran Fiesta Tour is updated so that instead of a search for Donald, the ride becomes about the Three Caballeros taking us on a tour of Mexico and informing us of its history.
- A new at the moment unnamed attraction opens in Norway, similar but not identical to Maelstrom.
- A new Russia pavilion replaces the African Outpost, featuring a Mount Elbrus roller coaster, a Peter and the Wolf live show, and a trackless dark ride based on The Firebird.
- Germany gains a new version of the Rhine River Cruise.
- Italy gains a boat ride, too, and maybe a show.
- The American Adventure remains unchanged, the sole addition being a new ice cream shop called Uncle Sam's.
- A Mount Fuji coaster was once planned for the Japan pavilion, but KODAK’s partnership with the parks prevented that. Now that KODAK is no longer in the picture, Mount Fuji can finally rise above Japan. Also here is an attraction called Bullet Train Pass, a simulator through a Japanese city.
- Morocco is now home to an indoor suspended coaster called Flying Carpets Over Morocco. This is not an Aladdin-themed experience.
- The France pavilion is now home to The Marvelous Mind of Jules Verne, a theatrical “revolving theater” show based on the stories of Jules Verne.
- The United Kingdom pavilion gains a new theater-in-the-round show in which guests are cast as King Arthur's knights of the round table.
- Egypt takes the place of the Canadian building used for the Food and Wine Festivals.
- Canada gains a version of Grizzly River Run. Name aside, the ride has little in common with its Californian counterpart.

But in all honesty, I'm guessing that after Frozen Ever After and Soarin' Over the World, the next addition to EPCOT will be something Inside Out replacing Captain EO. I still think that eventually, Dreamfinder will make it back to the pavilion. Hopefully soon.

Figaro928

Forget replacing WOL pavilion... Instead I think Inside out would do GREAT in Captain Eo's spot. Turn the theatre into a kid's "imagination land"

Inside-Out-80.png

It could be crazy, kookie, and easily be made interactive. It would get Inside Out into the parks in a way that would make sense without having to redo/re open a whole pavilion.

PLUS, how cute would it be to see Figment and Bing Bong share a scene?!!?

DOUBLE PLUS, Keep all the kid stuff concentrated to one area. :p

UpAllNight

Any movement on the subject concerning all that money allocated to this park? Surprised there aren't any rumblings.

I asked the question in the DHS thread a few days back and got 0 response which tells me a) people have no information to give/ they can give or B) The rumour was incorrect and people are hoping any talk of it gets buried and forgotten about.

Danno0209

A problem I see with any updates with future world is today's progress of technology. By the time they can get a new attraction up and running it's already out of date and far from futuristic. Back at its inception technology moved at a much slower pace and they were able to have futuristic items for at least a couple years. Anymore it's so hard to predict what is next and much of it is just modifications to technologies we currently have. That being said I think a rethink of future worlds direction is needed. Perhaps showcase "technology" of the past, show how far we've come in such a short time? This would allow a younger generation to see how it was and understand some of the struggles.
As for WS...maybe some rides but they need to go with the country showcased and involve some education and history of that country. No overplayed Frozen!

ULPO46

A problem I see with any updates with future world is today's progress of technology. By the time they can get a new attraction up and running it's already out of date and far from futuristic. Back at its inception technology moved at a much slower pace and they were able to have futuristic items for at least a couple years. Anymore it's so hard to predict what is next and much of it is just modifications to technologies we currently have. That being said I think a rethink of future worlds direction is needed. Perhaps showcase "technology" of the past, show how far we've come in such a short time? This would allow a younger generation to see how it was and understand some of the struggles.
As for WS...maybe some rides but they need to go with the country showcased and involve some education and history of that country. No overplayed Frozen!
Exactly! Or just showcase the latest in technology. The whole future concept is a little outdated and as you said, by the time anything gets done, it's completely out of date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom