What Clothes?

EmmabaRose

Hi guys,

So tomorrow is the day i go shopping for clothes for my trip!! (one of the signs that it is getting close!) just wondering what kind of clothes you would suggest for being cool and comfortable in the parks? Please bear in mind I am a Brit, and we are not used to the kind of heat and humidity Florida brings. Seriously, we got excited because it was not raining for most of this week. XD

I will also definitely be looking into footwear as well. What kind of footwear is best? Have I left it too late to break them in enough for the long walks? Any tips on handling blisters?

Sorry if these have all been asked before, but I would appreciate the help narrowing down my options lol.

Pooh Lover

Shorts and lightweight shirts for sure as it is HOT in Florida. It will rain at some point so, if you plan on getting around in the rain, either plan on buying a WDW poncho that will fold up for easy packing or bring one of your own. I always either carry some kind of light sweater or jacket I keep in my backpack because it can get cold in some of the buildings and attractions. If you plan on a change of clothes for heading out for dinner, you may want to dress a little bit warmer just because the restaurants also tend to be pretty chilly. As far as shoes, you will be walking A LOT, so wear whatever you think will protect your feet and feel really good for extended periods. I always bring a couple pair of walking shoes just in case one starts a blister, I can switch and avoid any down time due to sore feet.

Upvote 0

stargrl33

I don't know what you have over there in terms of discount stores, but I bought a couple cheap rain ponchos at the dollar store that fit in my purse. It can rain at any time in Florida so it's good to be prepared, but I don't like lugging around a rain jacket.

I usually avoid black or dark clothing, and try to bring the most lightweight clothes I have. Shorts and tank tops every day, and I usually wear my bathing suit top underneath because it dries fast if I get soaked on a water ride or in a rainstorm.

I usually have a lightweight, long sleeved shirt that I either tie around my waist or around the handle of my bag in case I get stuck inside an air conditioned ride or restaurant and start to get cold.

I wear a baseball hat to keep the sun off my face. And I always have an extra hair tie on my wrist, just in case.

As for shoes, I wear flip flops because I am more comfortable walking around in those than sneakers. But a lot of other people need to wear sneakers, so it all depends on what works for you.

You can also usually find miniature portable fans that run on AA batteries that hang around your neck. Some of them double as water bottles so you can just mist yourself if you are getting too hot standing in the sun all day.

Luckily, a lot of the ride lines and attractions are indoors where it is nice and cool. But you should still drink lots of water! (that probably goes without saying.)

I also pack one pair of jeans and a sweatshirt/hoodie in case it gets chilly at night when I'm back at the hotel. It usually doesn't, but you never know.

Sorry to ramble on. I just went out and bought some new clothes for my trip after looking at pictures from my 2007 and 2010 trips. I'm wearing the same clothes in both sets of pictures, so I figured I could treat myself since apparently it's been 6 years since I bought a new pair of shorts.

Upvote 0

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
Shorts and lightweight shirts for sure as it is HOT in Florida. It will rain at some point so, if you plan on getting around in the rain, either plan on buying a WDW poncho that will fold up for easy packing or bring one of your own. I always either carry some kind of light sweater or jacket I keep in my backpack because it can get cold in some of the buildings and attractions. If you plan on a change of clothes for heading out for dinner, you may want to dress a little bit warmer just because the restaurants also tend to be pretty chilly. As far as shoes, you will be walking A LOT, so wear whatever you think will protect your feet and feel really good for extended periods. I always bring a couple pair of walking shoes just in case one starts a blister, I can switch and avoid any down time due to sore feet.

Thanks for the advice, adding rain jacket to the list! We are switching parks most days so I will probably be changing for the evening will have that covered as I have another five weeks in the states after Orlando. Thank God his house has a laundry room. XD

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Trek they have excellent arch support and are so soft, don't need to be broken in.

eiH72kEbeV_gTzKdj3QoR8O1LwbGAxe2Sz_gb0dY26SnCo4caG5WhbwXRJVuKFuwolGawkDmvQoY8t1dgczfrWuG60ymZB0D4MNQQEFozIdmJgQVDLuvf02V__YjcNa_T2yWTq10moXGqMPcO5l8E7K9le30TA2XnsmQooM=s220-c

I wear also sketchers slip on gym shoes, always brand new.
RuB-QdvOc-cp2hKDNjPWrUx-5ZVVxlmcxcekL_pIQQhQpeBz-aXzK_hde8qryLfPK8UGrTUjTKq8oOu-PhyIcInKq-kcB1eu0CtAiG-GU32L6AVRr6rdjshMUADJKG7ZSjjGiKzRgQqDQ8ogFHRPJD6bEGcOWNzAbacH=s220-c

and inside a put a new Dr. Scholl Tri-comfort insert, like walking on air $6
Y4dvz4g3GSMd0ESqoRVgC3OAn4XQbTdMzD-ZzwaYLu5HzWQUOOsBu2FjCQX_vufNUF07H-YDnorEGa02-jLeOVgFRERO_hKsGewLd8X94EFEfcA-EuwoCOs-OotfDpzSrvY-FHQ=s120-c

Never a blister, ever.

Me, in warm weather, cotton no sleeve shirts and light weight mid thigh shorts. Evening a small cap on sleeves if changing.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
I don't know what you have over there in terms of discount stores, but I bought a couple cheap rain ponchos at the dollar store that fit in my purse. It can rain at any time in Florida so it's good to be prepared, but I don't like lugging around a rain jacket.

I usually avoid black or dark clothing, and try to bring the most lightweight clothes I have. Shorts and tank tops every day, and I usually wear my bathing suit top underneath because it dries fast if I get soaked on a water ride or in a rainstorm.

I usually have a lightweight, long sleeved shirt that I either tie around my waist or around the handle of my bag in case I get stuck inside an air conditioned ride or restaurant and start to get cold.

I wear a baseball hat to keep the sun off my face. And I always have an extra hair tie on my wrist, just in case.

As for shoes, I wear flip flops because I am more comfortable walking around in those than sneakers. But a lot of other people need to wear sneakers, so it all depends on what works for you.

You can also usually find miniature portable fans that run on AA batteries that hang around your neck. Some of them double as water bottles so you can just mist yourself if you are getting too hot standing in the sun all day.

Luckily, a lot of the ride lines and attractions are indoors where it is nice and cool. But you should still drink lots of water! (that probably goes without saying.)

I also pack one pair of jeans and a sweatshirt/hoodie in case it gets chilly at night when I'm back at the hotel. It usually doesn't, but you never know.

Sorry to ramble on. I just went out and bought some new clothes for my trip after looking at pictures from my 2007 and 2010 trips. I'm wearing the same clothes in both sets of pictures, so I figured I could treat myself since apparently it's been 6 years since I bought a new pair of shorts.
Thanks! We have a couple of really good affordable clothes stores here. I fact I'm shopping at this particular mall because it has a huge Primark (which if you are ever in the Uk, look it up. Insanely cheap!)

I will probably wear sneakers as I can see myself tripping every five minutes in flip flops lol. I have small but wide feet so finding shoes that dont kill me is a nightmare.

I hadn't thought of a hat, thanks for reminding me!

And yes lots of water is a must for me. Was told by the nurse today when getting my prescription that I have to watch that, cuz the pills I am on sap your fluids like crazy, so If I don't drink it will be Disney with a migrane.... No thanks. XD

Upvote 0

EmmabaRose

Original Poster
Trek they have excellent arch support and are so soft, don't need to be broken in.

I wear also sketchers slip on gym shoes, always brand new.
RuB-QdvOc-cp2hKDNjPWrUx-5ZVVxlmcxcekL_pIQQhQpeBz-aXzK_hde8qryLfPK8UGrTUjTKq8oOu-PhyIcInKq-kcB1eu0CtAiG-GU32L6AVRr6rdjshMUADJKG7ZSjjGiKzRgQqDQ8ogFHRPJD6bEGcOWNzAbacH=s220-c

and inside a put a new Dr. Scholl Tri-comfort insert, like walking on air $6
Y4dvz4g3GSMd0ESqoRVgC3OAn4XQbTdMzD-ZzwaYLu5HzWQUOOsBu2FjCQX_vufNUF07H-YDnorEGa02-jLeOVgFRERO_hKsGewLd8X94EFEfcA-EuwoCOs-OotfDpzSrvY-FHQ=s120-c

Never a blister, ever.

Me, in warm weather, cotton no sleeve shirts and light weight mid thigh shorts. Evening a small cap on sleeves if changing.

Have fun!

Thanks for this. I think I will be getting sketchers as I have heard many good things about them!

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just me, fiancé already lives in Sc so he is prepared for the weather XD

Florida is hotter and more humid than SC (I've lived in both), but he'll certainly be more acclimated than you! Also, the weather patterns are different. My point is, even though SC gets hot, he's gonna feel hot too! <grin>

I like ponchos better than rain jackets for the parks. Plus, you can wear them on any wet rides you don't care to get soaked on (really applies only to Kali River...but I've seen people who averse to water getting dressed up for Splash Mountain.

As far as shoes, I'd get some nice hiking sandles. I like Keens, personally. Shoes that are rugged, dry off quickly / won't absorb water, etc. Also, unlike Europe, you will NOT want to wear socks with your sandles. Birks, in my experience, are a BAD choice, because if it rains and they get wet, the leather gets as slippery as an ice rink! Plus they take a while to break in. Tevas are also a good choice.

But a few pairs of shoes (at least 2) for hiking around the parks so you can alternate daily. This will help not only your feet, but the shoes.

If planning to go to one of the water parks, get some water shoes (you can buy them at Disney or a local Walmart if you can't find them over there). The ground will get very hot during the day, and it's a pain (quite literally) while waiting in line.

I'd focus on light shorts and shirts, or light dresses. If your skin / eyes are sensitive to the sun, bring a hat / sunglasses.

Not sure what else to say at this point...outside of have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Oh, bring a hat too! I've had more than one sunburn on my head where my hair parts.

My husband will always pack an extra pair of socks in our backpack in case it rains or his feet get wet.

This isn't clothing related but I always tell people to pack a night light. The beds at WDW are wretched for bumping into in the middle of the night in a dark room. Can't afford any down time while on vacation at WDW with a bum foot!

Upvote 0

luv

Florida is a thousand times more humid than the Carolinas!! It gets SO hot and humid in Orlando.

Lightly colored, lightweight (!), sleeveless shirts. Lightweight shorts.

If you can by clothes made for hot temps or clothes that are quick-dry, do that.

If you want to skip the bag check, get shorts with loads of pockets. :)

I prefer an umbrella to a poncho, but that's a personal thing. I get hot and sweaty under the poncho after a while.

Shoes - go for a walk that's a few miles in them. See if your feet feel pressure. If they do, put one of those blister block things on that spot before you dress in the morning when you're going to the parks. Whatever shoes you'll be wearing, break them in before the trip. :)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The Dr Scholl's inserts do make a world of difference for my feet with the long standing in lines and additional walking distance. I take several pairs and extra socks, to replace ones because of the chances of getting wet in rain storms. I also bring moleskin and Neosporin ointment in case of blisters. I've also been more comfortable enduring the humidity with the Jockey stay cool t shirts. My wife is going to buy a chilly pad cooling towel and chilly pad from Frogg Toggs, a friend recommended. They brought them to Disney and said they worked out fantastic for them and their kids.

Upvote 0

jrab0616

We are going to be there around the same time. I posted pics of my new shirts on my PTR: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/introductory-ptr-may-24-17.864083/

I plan on wearing these and shorts. I don't like to wear sleeveless shirts because I sunburn easily - I take sunscreen and apply frequently throughout the day especially if we're sitting outside for a meal or watching the parade.

I'll pack jeans and sweatshirt as well. Although I usually don't even take these to the park with me unless the weather report says I might need them. You just never know if it will cool off. I always pack extra socks in my backpack to take into the park. It's miserable walking around in wet socks.

I also usually wear a hat during the summer and pack poncos as well. You will more than likely get caught in a rain storm at some point on your trip.

I always just wear sneakers. I have worn Nike's the last few times we've been and I've been fine.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Do not bring new shoes you just bought. Your feet will blister. Bring your most broken in pair of shoes. For clothing light colors for all the shorts and t-shirts. Just bring the sun block. You'll need it because you want to wear shorts and t-shirts
And drink lots of fluids.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom