What can you do at Disney without spending anything at all.

DfromATX

Don't know what the OP's friends reasons were but I've heard of others not wanting to spend the money on a day ticket because they didn't appreciate the value of what they were getting or they weren't going to spend enough hours in the park to warrant the spending.

I know, I was just bein' silly. :)

CaptainAmerica

I'm preparing to get flamed for saying this, but I find this to be extremely tacky. I stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge most often so I deal with this as much as anyone outside of the monorail loop, but it's very off-putting when I'm staying at a resort and swarms of people descend just to sight-see. Most people here seem to agree that pool hopping is in poor taste, but for some reason the same people think resort hopping is perfectly fine. They're fundamentally no different. You're showing up at a resort at which you're not staying in order to use the amenities for which you're not paying.

Obviously it's different if you have dining reservations, but even then people need to learn to behave themselves. Boma diners flopped out with their shoes on the furniture in the AKL lobby is a nightly occurrence.

Chef Mickey

By the time you fly there, stay in a hotel, and eat...the cost of actually going to the parks isn't that much.

I'm an advocate of doing some "free" things (nothing is actually free) but only if you've done the parks thoroughly. I mean, in the end, we do go to Disney for the parks.

Chef Mickey

I'm preparing to get flamed for saying this, but I find this to be extremely tacky. I stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge most often so I deal with this as much as anyone outside of the monorail loop, but it's very off-putting when I'm staying at a resort and swarms of people descend just to sight-see. Most people here seem to agree that pool hopping is in poor taste, but for some reason the same people think resort hopping is perfectly fine. They're fundamentally no different. You're showing up at a resort at which you're not staying in order to use the amenities for which you're not paying.

Obviously it's different if you have dining reservations, but even then people need to learn to behave themselves. Boma diners flopped out with their shoes on the furniture in the AKL lobby is a nightly occurrence.
Totally agree...

This isn't just taboo at Disney. The Ritz in the Caymans actually polices 7 mile beach because they don't want beach squatters on the Ritz's beach front. This is because the Ritz employees dozens of people to "take care" of Ritz guests on the beaches. They also have chairs, cabanas, and umbrellas only for use by Ritz guests. If you don't have a room, they won't serve you food, allow you to participate in activities, and will ask you to leave even if you're just sitting there.

danyoung56

If someone was coming into say the AKL lobby and sitting in a lobby couch with their feet up reading a book, then I could see the problem. But someone just wandering in to take a look and enjoy the vibe? I can't see any problem with that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

What amenities are people using? I haven't seen anyone talk about using the pools or resort activities areas. The restaurants and lobby are public spaces. While I wouldn't encourage people to just show up at a hotel and take a nap in the lobby I see nothing wrong with visiting the various resorts to check them out. We have been to WDW several times over the Christmas holiday time and we always check out the decorations at a few of the resorts. WL usually has a massive Christmas tree and GF has the gingerbread house. Sometimes we might get a meal and other times we just go to check out the resorts. I have never stayed at a monorail resort without at least visiting the Poly for a cup of real Kona coffee and a walk around the grounds. It's as much a tradition for me as anything we do in the parks. I don't see anything tacky about it but to each their own.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Totally agree...

This isn't just taboo at Disney. The Ritz in the Caymans actually polices 7 mile beach because they don't want beach squatters on the Ritz's beach front. This is because the Ritz employees dozens of people to "take care" of Ritz guests on the beaches. They also have chairs, cabanas, and umbrellas only for use by Ritz guests. If you don't have a room, they won't serve you food, allow you to participate in activities, and will ask you to leave even if you're just sitting there.
There's a difference between visiting a resort to check it out and going in to try to use the amenities. If someone who's not a resort guest shows up at AKL and heads to the pool or takes up a lounge chair for the day that's clearly not acceptable just like it wouldn't be acceptable for someone to try to use the beach chairs, cabanas or umbrellas at the Ritz you mentioned.

Chef Mickey

There's a difference between visiting a resort to check it out and going in to try to use the amenities. If someone who's not a resort guest shows up at AKL and heads to the pool or takes up a lounge chair for the day that's clearly not acceptable just like it wouldn't be acceptable for someone to try to use the beach chairs, cabanas or umbrellas at the Ritz you mentioned.
Agreed, but sometimes people can do too much at Disney hotels. I'm all for going to eat at other hotels and maybe doing a quick tour of the lobby, but I feel like loitering around the premises and of course using the pool would obviously be overboard.

I stay at AKL and I know several people during my stay were talking with the cast members at the animal observatory and just taking up space in general. They were staying at Pop because they mentioned going back there to grab their cups.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed, but sometimes people can do too much at Disney hotels. I'm all for going to eat at other hotels and maybe doing a quick tour of the lobby, but I feel like loitering around the premises and of course using the pool would obviously be overboard.

I stay at AKL and I know several people during my stay were talking with the cast members at the animal observatory and just taking up space in general. They were staying at Pop because they mentioned going back there to grab their cups.
They could have been there for a meal. I think that's a grey area since it's really supposed to be for resort guests only. The pool is a black and white no.

I think all of the deluxe resorts are subject to additional non-guest visitors because they have restaurants and at places like Boardwalk or Poly entertainment. I've heard people complain about transportation being clogged up too by non-guests coming and going from the resorts.

JIMINYCR

I won't flame you. I've looked around resorts to see if I might want to stay at them at a later date, and visited them to view the Christmas decorations, all of which Disney encourages guests to do. I've even helped sell friends on booking various resorts because of what I saw during those visits when they've inquired about which ones they should book. But when it comes to guests visiting only to view the AK's animals, I tend to agree and can understand your reasoning. One of the big selling points for convincing people to book rooms at AK is that the animals are nearby for their enjoyment. People who did not choose to book a room there because of the higher cost or the resorts location still get the perk of viewing the animals. The animal viewing being a thing of value you are paying for. It would be like someone walking into the park without a ticket to just see the parade or jumping into the FP line without getting their own and getting the benefit they don't deserve.

Cosmic Commando

I can see how it would get annoying, but for the restaurants at least, Boma and Jiko probably couldn't sustain themselves just on AKL guests. So dealing with some annoying "day guests" means some of the amenities at your resort are better. Same goes for other resorts, but AKL was already mentioned.

It's such a slippery slope. One thing that I love about Disney is that you can go and see virtually anything regardless of where you are staying. But, I agree with you that part of the process of paying to stay at a specific resort is to be able to enjoy the amenities that you are paying for. I definitely don't condone someone using the pool or other resort-guest spaces if they aren't staying there. However, I also don't see the harm with someone checking out a resort (I.e., lobby or other common areas). This can give people a taste for a resort that they might want to stay at in the future. And, to be honest, some might never have the means to afford a stay at a Deluxe resort. I don't see begrudging folks a chance to check them out just to say they'd seen it. Disney resorts aren't gated communities, so there will (and should) always be an openness and accessibility for anyone. As long as people are being respectful and not taking advantage of things that are clearly intended for paying resort guests, I don't see the harm.

CaptainAmerica

My issue isn't with the people per se, it's more that they don't know how to behave like civilized human beings. I think there's something psychological where you treat a resort better when you're actually staying there. It's a possessive feeling. This is my "home" for the next eight nights... my bedroom is right down that hallway.

And, to be honest, some might never have the means to afford a stay at a Deluxe resort.
I can't afford an Escalade, but that doesn't mean I can take my neighbor's for a joyride.

As long as people are being respectful and not taking advantage of things that are clearly intended for paying resort guests, I don't see the harm.
This is the key. If people are being respectful, I wouldn't even notice them. In my experience, they're not.

Zipadeelady

If someone was coming into say the AKL lobby and sitting in a lobby couch with their feet up reading a book, then I could see the problem. But someone just wandering in to take a look and enjoy the vibe? I can't see any problem with that.
I agree. How else am I supposed to figure out which resort I want to stay at next. o_O

My issue isn't with the people per se, it's more that they don't know how to behave like civilized human beings. I think there's something psychological where you treat a resort better when you're actually staying there. It's a possessive feeling. This is my "home" for the next eight nights... my bedroom is right down that hallway.

I can't afford an Escalade, but that doesn't mean I can take my neighbor's for a joyride.

This is the key. If people are being respectful, I wouldn't even notice them. In my experience, they're not.

Fair enough, although I'm often appalled at the way people treat resorts (and other guests) at resorts they are staying at! People being people I guess.

Grimley1968

There is also the boat ride from Disney Springs over to POFQ/POR. It's not a quick trip, but it can be relaxing. Also, Boatwright's in POR is pretty nice, IMO. Of course, Boatwright's is not free. ;) The POR grounds can be nice to walk around, assuming you are not exhausted from walking around a park that day.

Be advised that Boatwright's, at least the last 2 times we went there, is ADR-only, even though it's rarely crowded.

Disney-Trains

I'm trying to understand the logic... All of the guests putting feet up in the lobby of AKL are day visitors? How would you even know?

I've never seen the animal viewing areas overly crowded at AKL (and in case it matters, I've stayed there as a guest multiple times, but I've also visited when not staying there), so I'm not sure why it would be a problem for some non-resort guests to watch the animals for a bit.

CaptainAmerica

I'm trying to understand the logic... All of the guests putting feet up in the lobby of AKL are day visitors? How would you even know?
Um, I can see them with my eyes? I'm not sure what's confusing. Crowds flood the lobby at dinner time. Those same people return to the lobby to flop out after over-eating at Boma (we call it Boma Coma). Those same people leave out the front door and return to the fiery chasm from whence they came. The most common post-meal scene involves mom and dad mesmerized by their cell phones, completely ignoring their children who are beating on each other (and the furniture) over by the TV.

I've never seen the animal viewing areas overly crowded at AKL (and in case it matters, I've stayed there as a guest multiple times, but I've also visited when not staying there), so I'm not sure why it would be a problem for some non-resort guests to watch the animals for a bit.
Apply that logic to pool hopping. It's exactly the same. Regardless, the lobby is a bigger problem than the animal viewing areas IMO. The lobby becomes a zoo (pun intended) every night at dinner time. It's loud and crowded to the point that resort guests aren't able to find a seat and relax.

patch553

Our first day/night we like to monorail loop tour and catch the orchestra at grand Floridian grab a drink then go catch wishes on the docks, its kind of a hidden gem as they pipe the music in and its never crowded

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom