What can replace the 20,000 Leagues lagoon in WDW's Fantasyland

NADisney

Original Poster
Since 1971- Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea quickly became one of the park's most popular attractions. Differing from the Disneyland submarines which were inspired by the United States' nuclear fleet of the 1950s, those at WDW were replicas of Captain Nemo's "Nautilus", the fanciful vessel depicted in the classic 1954 Disney film. The attraction closed in 1994 due to mechanicle problems and has never reopened since.Some small changes have taken place in the past few years ,a Disney character greeting spot and Ariel's Grotto along with King Trident's statue in the lagoon ,but with such an enormis space ,could another water attraction occupy this arena or could Fantasyland be expanded ! :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
This has been discussed....I think steve can give you a link to plans that have been talked about, and there have been a few.

Rooster

Originally posted by NADisney
Since 1971- Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea quickly became one of the park's most popular attractions. Differing from the Disneyland submarines which were inspired by the United States' nuclear fleet of the 1950s, those at WDW were replicas of Captain Nemo's "Nautilus", the fanciful vessel depicted in the classic 1954 Disney film. The attraction closed in 1994 due to mechanicle problems and has never reopened since.Some small changes have taken place in the past few years ,a Disney character greeting spot and Ariel's Grotto along with King Trident's statue in the lagoon ,but with such an enormis space ,could another water attraction occupy this arena or could Fantasyland be expanded ! :)

Welcome NADisney. My first post was exactly along these lines. So I guess I'm a sympathetic ear. There have been all kinds of rumors on the future of this area. In all my research ultimately nobody knows for sure. My personal vote is to create a Mysterious Island like at DisneySea in Tokyo. If you liked 20,000 leagues youd love this. It really looks impressive.:cool:http://www.tokyoresort.com/cps10.htm

Dizknee_Phreek

I'm with Rooster! I think a Mysterious Island would go great here! but to be honest, i think an extension of the Ariel theme could be placed here and have somewhat of a miniature Mermaid Lagoon. btw, thanks for the link to the pics, Rooster! I'd seen a map of Disney Seas in a recent Disney Magazine, but i've always wanted to see real pics! It looks really awesome! I'd love to see one of these go up in Orlando!!

also, i can see an Atlantis ride go in here. but i'd much rather see a Mysterious Island or Mermaid Lagoon.

Lance

Oh ya, Mysterious Island all the way. I think the 20,000 leagues they have in tokyo looks real good. I would love to see Mysterious Island in the MK, but that would never happen.

WDW-Imagineer

The major problem with the 20k leagues under the sea site is that it is very small and shallow. Because of these "anti-development" features, a new attraction cannot be that big. So chance of a roller coaster (journey to the center of the earth seems to be the most popular), are unfortunately quite slim. :(

DisneyFreak

I know, let's let disneyowner182 decide. He seems to have all the answers.

:lookaroun Oh good he's not around, I don't want him calling me a dork!!!!!!!!1 or anything. :cry:

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by DisneyFreak
I know, let's let disneyowner182 decide. He seems to have all the answers.

:lookaroun Oh good he's not around, I don't want him calling me a dork!!!!!!!!1 or anything. :cry:

LMAO.... I can take it if he calls me a dork!!!!!!!, but a dork!!!!!!!1 is just going too far. :cry:

NADisney

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the reply , even though Mysterious Island sounds great or Mermaid Lagoon both from Disney's Tokyo Seas park at Tokyo Disneyland , Japan. I thought it would be nice to transform the lagoon by raising the floor level , adding some flower beds and those famous Disney Topiarys ,along with a colorful clock and hundreds of "Audio-Animatronics" children. Making "It's a Small World " similar to it sister's counterpart. As for the remaing building of this famous attraction would be eliminated, then Fantasyland could be expanded with New Disney attractions like 1. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Ride 2. Pinnochio's Voyage 3. Alice in Wonderland and 4. Mr Toads Wild Ride including pushing Dumbo: The Flying Elephant back to give more space between it and Cinderella's carousel. Ariel's Grotto would take over Mickey's Toontown Fair with 1. Under the Sea - Coaster ( currently the Barnstormer)2. Mermaid Lagoon ( currently Minnie's house) 3. Ursulas' Unfortunate Soul's:a tilt-a-whirl attraction ( currently Donald's boat) 4.The Little Mermaid Adventure ( the Voyage of the Little Mermaid at the Disney-MGM-Studios -which would be located at Mickey's house) and 5. Sebastian's Orchestra (currently the WDW Railroad ) the WDW Railroad would be relocated inbetween Ariel's Grotto and Tomorrowland with a 20'000 Leagues look.
"There's really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious." WALT DISNEY

Dizknee_Phreek

WOO!!! that's some heavy duty construction there, NADisney! i'm not really sure i agree with it all, though. but ya know, i am intrigued with one thing...IF they took out It's a Small World, Pinnochio's Voyage could easily go in right there since the Pinnochio themed restuarant is right beside it, and even has a window looking out into the attraction's entrance...that's a very interesting concept, indeed! hmmmmm....
but lemme change some things that you said around...let's take out the german type cottage thing that housed the sky-lift and make an extention to more Fantasyland attractions there, instead of scraping IaSW.
i must admit though, i don't agree with you at all to scrap Toontown Fair (which i really love, even though there's not a lot to do there) and replace it with an Ariel theme. it's an interesting thought, but i would never want to see it happen! where would the Fab 5 be housed? it would just be unfair to Walt's original creations.

Al

here is what somebody who e-mailed me recently and had been on the backstage tour had to say:

On the
tour I also asked about the status of 20,000 leagues. The tour guide said
that nothing has been replaced here because of money. The bottom of the
Lagoon runs on the same level as the "utilidors" and structurally would be
very difficult to make use of the land without throwing a lot of money into
it. He said that the cost would be so great that it would hinder and would
have hindered the development of any new parks. I believe he was referring
to the Animal Kingdom, but that is my own opinion. During the tour The guide
took us to the area behind the park and we were able to see the back of "It's
a small world" and 20,000 leagues. The tunnel came right up to the back of
the lagoon area and it was quite obvious to me that it would be a major
problem. I believe that they would have to use the existing area. An
Atlantis ride makes sense to me since it is the newest film.

Hope you find this interesting!! :sohappy:

NADisney

Original Poster
True guys , the new Disney attractions i thought up would go in the old "it's a small world " building while "it's a small world " would take over the lagoon . As for the Fab Five ,they could host greeting 's at the Fantasyland theater ( the current home of the Lion King -which is to be replace in a couple of months). The chalet would be great for a classic Disney character meeting ground( Snow White , Alice , Pinocchio , Peter Pan ...) . Toontown is nice ,but has no real function except to house the Fab Five ,Know Toontown could be relocated to the Disney-MGM-Studios with the added bonus of the Jolly Trolly and Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin, which everyone has been waiting for since it's debut in Dineyland Park. :lookaroun :)
"There's really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening new doors and doing new things - because we're curious." WALT DISNEY

monorail256

glass bottomed... mr toad? what the? lol i personally hated that ride... but i also dont really care for pooh so I suppose that wouldn't be bad but not on the lagoon. I say just bring back 20,00 leagues.:D

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by monorail256
glass bottomed... mr toad? what the? lol i personally hated that ride... but i also dont really care for pooh so I suppose that wouldn't be bad but not on the lagoon. I say just bring back 20,00 leagues.:D

I don't think anybody knows what he is talking about... :confused: :hammer:

modelbuilder

Instead of destroying old rides, just update and improve them and add new ones as well. they could eliminate some of the large "hidden" parking lots in the park (add electric transit cars to bring in employees) and use this space for new lands and areas. there is quit a bit of space between the back of fantasy land and the railroad tracks back in the woods. same can be said for the large parking area east of main street and south of tomorrow land.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm not saying they should, but is the ride itself still operational? Could they bring it back online if they really wanted to?

NADisney

Original Poster
They can't ,the attraction has already been gutted back in 1998, it's just a large body of water and track. l

DigitalDisney

It looks horrible having the huge lagoon wide open with nothing to look at (especially at night). They could host some kind of a water show out on the lagoon, or maybe something along the lines of the Innoventions fountain or a very mini-Fantasmic featuring the Little Mermaid (it is a tropical lagoon, ja?). A recreation of the giant squid attack would be a cool show too!

Of course, I have no idea if these would ever happen. They're just figments of my imagination! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom