What are the perks of the Disney Visa?

Nicole

Original Poster
Does anyone have a Disney Visa card? Is it like a frequent flyer card - can I earn free Disney trips/lodging, etc? Anything else you can tell me?

WDWScottieBoy

I am a Charter Cardmember (member since DAY!). You earn 1% on everything you spend and that is put into Disney Points. So if you spend $100, you get 1 point, which is equivelant to one dollar (for Disney). I have accumalated around 120 points or so already and I am using that towards my vacation in 20 days. You also get great deals. Special mailings go out to card members with Member only gifts, special sales, discounts, etc. Also, if you pay for a Disney vacation, there is no intereest for 6 months I believe on that trip. So you can go now and not have to pay for 6 months (from what I understand, I'm not sure, I always have it paid off). If you are a Disney pin collector, there are member only pins that you can purchase also. I can't think of anything else right now since I'm at work and I don't have any of the info with me, but check out http://www.bankone.com/disney/ if you want more information. I believe they have a special going on right now that if you join you get 25 or 50 points free. Hope this helps you some.

Scott

Chris

Definitely get one and use it a lot!!!!!! We are also Day 1 Charter Members and use it for EVERYTHING: every meal, every purchase, every trip aywhere. We use the card just like we would use cash or a check card and pay it off at the end of each month. So far we have 1,174 points and are planning on using them pay for a room at the Wilderness Lodge the week after Thanksgiving. If I can get enough points we will also use it to pay for a lot of our meals. It is really a good deal. In less than two years of use, we will get an almost FREE WDW vacation. (We have annual passes so the park tickets are already paid for). You can also use your points toward DCL or DL.

AllThatsJoey

I too have a disney visa (Mine says charter member but I don't think I'm a cool "since day 1" person....maybe day 250 or something :animwink: ). I was wondering, is it better to leave your points in your account or transfer them to your rewards card?

WDWScottieBoy

patelaine1953 said:
Didn't we just receive notice that any purchases through the end of July or something earn double points?

Certain things give you double points such as DIsney purchases. If you purchase $250 in one calender month on certain items you will be earning 2% instead of the 1%. That's another bonus to get it now.

PixyDust

Another Day 1 Member here.

I use our card for EVERY purchase I make. Gas, clothes, food, you name it, I use it. Even planning to use it when we build our next house. (Had a friend who had a frequent flyer VISA and used it to build his house, and he can travel free for practically forever now!)

Also, you get double points accrued when you use your card on Disney purchases (Disney store, etc).

We always transfer the points before each trip and use them in Downtown Disney. Putting the card down as your "room charge" account while at WDW helps rack up those points QUICK. We used it on a Pal Mickey and Monorail toys on our last couple of trips. Wish I had the willpower to keep the points accumulating long enough to pay for a trip - but that will never happen!

I convinced my friend to get the card when she told me they were thinking of going to WDW (their first trip ever!). She has had it long enough now to see the dollars adding up. They will be there the same week as us - the first week of October.

DisneyPhD

We love our Disney Visa and like many other people use it for everything and pay it off right away. (we also are Day one members.) The deals are getting sweeter for new people, not loyal members so I am a little ticked off at that. Recently we got a letter in the mail stating if we get double points on any money over 2500 each month for the next year. I think this is different for every member. Our average month we spend 1500, and a few we spend up to 2500, so I think they based that number on it. Also it doesn't apear that if we spend 3,000 that month we get 6,000 points. I think we would get 3,500 (double on anything over 2,500.) Oh well. the good news for us is we are building on too our house right now and every trip to home deopot is going on there. I am trying to figure out how to get my car payment on it too. (haven't got the car yet but baby #2 means mini van in the future.)

We gave a friend a code we recently got for refering friends and family too it. It got them 50 extra points to get one. All I got was a lousy pin. (but we are up to around 350 points total so far, used 200 already.)

Vernonpush

I am also a Day 1 cardholder. We are saving for our Dec. trip to The World. Using our cards for everything, paying off each month. My favorite perk is buying Disney Dollars as holiday gifts for my SO and getting reward dollars from that.

patelaine1953

I just found the letter I received about the double dream rewards dollars from Disney Visa. Just spend $150 or more on groceries, drug stores, gas, dining, dry cleaning, etc. and you'll earn double dream rewards dollars for every additional dollar you spend. This runs from 7/1/2004 to 6/30/2005. I only have $148 dream rewards dollars but add that to the $1,200 cash I have and we're going to have some fun. (I also have a large group with us this trip so will be spending money for at least a couple of them. My daughter always seems to be broke even though she works full time.)

Chris

patelaine1953 said:
I just found the letter I received about the double dream rewards dollars from Disney Visa. Just spend $150 or more on groceries, drug stores, gas, dining, dry cleaning, etc. and you'll earn double dream rewards dollars for every additional dollar you spend. This runs from 7/1/2004 to 6/30/2005.

Mine says the smae thing but the dollar amount is $2,300 per month.

WDWScottieBoy

Chris said:
Mine says the smae thing but the dollar amount is $2,300 per month.

Everyone's is different. It varies on your credit limit and how often you use it. They aren't going to make everyone's the same or it wouldn't be fair. FOr that reason, yours might be $2,300 per month while paitelaine1953 only needs to spend $150.

Since I'm only 18 and I don't use my credit card often, they told me I only need to spend $250. Even though I have a $18,500 credit limit per month, that doesn't matter. They look at your spending history to decide how much you need to spend to double up.

I hope this helps clear that up a little bit.

Chris

Thanks. That is interesting to know that they really seem to be balancing the opportunity to make more points. Good luck on earning LOTS of points and having a great vacation!

WDWScottieBoy

As a college student, I use the credit card on almost everything myself. But since I live at home, my parents buy everything on their credit cards (I can't get my dad to use his Disney Visa). Once I go full time with my job and I start spending a lot more, which I have been doing a lot lately, my points will start to rack up. My bill for the past couple months has been in the thousands, so I can't wait to start earning that 2% instead of 1% and earning my double points as well. I can't wait to see my next bill to see how many I'll have for my trip in 19 days!!!

WDWScottieBoy

tigsmom said:
Just a friendly word of caution...please don't go crazy with your card. Too many young people come out of college with huge debt levels because they got their first credit card & charged up a storm. They can't ever hope to pay them off and need to declare bankrupcy. (not saying you are doing this, just putting out the caution flag).
Charge what you need to, but try to pay off that bill monthly. (ok, no more motherly advice :lol: ) :wave:

I'd have to be a really rich college student to have a credit limit of $18,500. My dad and I share an account, I'm just the only one that uses the card. The bill comes to my house (I still live at home) and my dad pays it off every month.

WDWScottieBoy

tigsmom said:
Even more reason not to go crazy! You're very lucky to have parents who are willing to do that for you. Treat them well. :wave:

Oh I do, they are my everything. The only reason I got the card was so that I could have one with my name on it and the DAY 1 Charter Cardmember. I wasn't going to spend any of it. But when you get things in the mail saying what offers they have and how I can get paid for using it. My parents know I'm obsessed with Disney and that's one reason they did it. They know I won't ever go out and do big purchases because I pay off my part. My parents are a true blessing to me. They let me have this card also so that I can start to build up some credit and learn a life lesson on spending with credit as well. My dad is a VP for one of the top Fotune 500 companies, so he has taught me well with money and business. I'll make sure not to splurge on his money....now for my money...ah yes, that's another story. :lol:

OliveMcFly

WDWScottieBoy said:
So if you spend $100, you get 1 point, which is equivelant to one dollar (for Disney).
Wow! $1 on every $100. So to buy a Park Hopper ticket you would need to spend...$31,500? I'm really bad with math. Is that right? Not that a person would rely completely on the card to fund a vacation but, it's just a thought.

Miss Bell

I am also a Day 1 member, and do use my card for everything and pay it off at the end of each month. I don't know if I will ever get a trip out of it (too impatient,) but on this last trip I paid for almost all our meals with it, and we eat someplace nice, at least once a day. It was nice to be able to use what I would have normally spent on food on extra goodies at the park. I also, just got the double the points letter. While I'm excited about the idea of earning extra points, it seems like a double jeaopardy--if I already charge everything I buy on my Disney Visa, it seems unlikely that I am ever going to the level that is just above what I already spend to earn more points.

KevinPage

tigsmom said:
Even more reason not to go crazy! You're very lucky to have parents who are willing to do that for you. Treat them well. :wave:

Note to the Tigsmom kids, get advice from WDWScottieBoy on how to obtain a credit card with an $18,500 spending limit on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom