What are the drawback to renting points vs booking direct? Help this novice out please

Single Mommy

Original Poster
I apologize if this is a silly question but what are the disadvantages to renting points from a DVC member vs booking directly through disney (or my local travel agent)? I am looking to go June 6 - 14, 2015 and want a one bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I am a newly single divorced mom with three young kids. And through a series of miracles I have found a way to take my new little family on the dream vacation to Disney. As I've been looking and researching and planning through forums I saw posts about renting from a DVC member (or really broker websites is all I have found).

The cost savings seem worth it - and I understand I can not book a meal plan or buy tickets as a package if I book by renting from a DVC member - but what are the other disadvantages? Mostly that it is non-refundable? Anything else?

For those of you who did this - did you buy trip insurance? If so - from who? Feel free to post or reply to me privately with any advice! Thanks!

Abby

CAPTAIN HOOK

The cost savings seem worth it - and I understand I can not book a meal plan or buy tickets as a package if I book by renting from a DVC member - but what are the other disadvantages? Mostly that it is non-refundable? Anything else?
I think you've covered the most important point here - There appears to be no come back on your part if the deal falls through and unless your insurance specifically covers this, then you lose a lot of money.

Caveat Emptor = Let the buyer beware

stevehousse

You actually can add the dining plan with rented points. If you go through a broker you can get tickets too but if you do it with someone you are just renting from, then u have to purchase the tickets on your own.

Te cost yes will be better. The only downside to renting is that the rooms always aren't available like they would be if u booked directly. There is a chance your pick of hotel and room won't come through if u rent, but most of the time it does.

bubster

The advantages are that you will save money renting from a DVC member over booking directly through Disney.

Disadvantages are you may or may not have a cancellation policy with the person you are renting from and you will have no control over your reservation. The good news is that you can get a dining plan but the DVC owner will have to arrange that along with scheduling Magical Express if you need that too. Tickets can be bought at a discount going through Undercover Tourist.

Another disadvantage is where you may want to stay. Some people want to stay at BLT or Grand Floridian or an Epcot resort but sometimes it's difficult for the owners of those resorts to book there under 7 months. Owners get the opportunity to book their home resorts at 11 months. If your aren't particular about where you stay you won't be disappointed with any of the DVC resorts.

We are DVC members and have rented points from other members a few times when our own points ran low. We have never had any problems. If you are nervous about it should check out David's Vacation Club Rentals.

Good luck with planning your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom