What are some 1st's for a child's first trip to Disney?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi everyone,

As I sit and wait, I can't stop myself and have started planning our little ones 1st birthday/1st trip to Disney World. We are projecting a post Memorial Day/First week of June trip in 2015. We are hoping for a stay at the Grand Floridian since we love that resort and we want a monorail resort. I know buses and strollers do not go hand in hand. :)

We have some 1st's already:

1st hair cut - even if just a snip/trim
1st Bday cake - a bday/smash cake
Meet Mickey on Main Street
Ride Dumbo - the one ride my DH and I have not gone on as we were waiting for Colin
Ride the Carousal
Do a silhouette
Get his ears

Does anyone have any other suggestions or things I am missing to commemorate the special trip?

Thank you so much!

DisneyAubs

DD was 18 months when we went. I thought long and hard about what I wanted her very first ride to be. I decided on the teacups because I thought it would provide the best photos and would be a ride we would love to return to every trip. I was right. The pics are so adorable!!!

We have a family tradition of always having our pic made in front of the Mickey flowers, so we made sure to have a few pics there. Pick a special spot that you can return to on each trip for a picture.

Our other firsts you already have: Mouse ears, haircut, and ornament. Oh and meet Mickey of course (actually 3 times!)

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
The haircut experience is truly a winner. Our DD is now 10, her first trip at 2, and she still insists on ONLY getting her haircut at Disney (two years ago, they cut of 9 inches and she donated it). They do such a wonderful job and you will get hundreds of pictures just from that.

I would expect the new GlowEars would be real treat for a 1 year old and provide quite a few minutes/hours of entertainment when needed!

Have fun planning!!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While you've got meeting Mickey on Main Street, first character meal was also big for us. And if you're celebrating his bday there, you could get him his very first Disney cake. I've seen a handful of cakes where the bakeries have done a larger cake for the adults and a matching smash cake for the 1 yr old. This video kind of says it all :) in fact, you even get to see the full sized cake right at the end (the smash cake is totally destroyed LOL).

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
DD was 18 months when we went. I thought long and hard about what I wanted her very first ride to be. I decided on the teacups because I thought it would provide the best photos and would be a ride we would love to return to every trip. I was right. The pics are so adorable!!!

We have a family tradition of always having our pic made in front of the Mickey flowers, so we made sure to have a few pics there. Pick a special spot that you can return to on each trip for a picture.

Our other firsts you already have: Mouse ears, haircut, and ornament. Oh and meet Mickey of course (actually 3 times!)

Ahhh cute idea! I have to pick a spot! Hmmmm...I wonder where that is going to be. I will have to think about that! Love that idea!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
The haircut experience is truly a winner. Our DD is now 10, her first trip at 2, and she still insists on ONLY getting her haircut at Disney (two years ago, they cut of 9 inches and she donated it). They do such a wonderful job and you will get hundreds of pictures just from that.

I would expect the new GlowEars would be real treat for a 1 year old and provide quite a few minutes/hours of entertainment when needed!

Have fun planning!!

Thank you so much!!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
While you've got meeting Mickey on Main Street, first character meal was also big for us. And if you're celebrating his bday there, you could get him his very first Disney cake. I've seen a handful of cakes where the bakeries have done a larger cake for the adults and a matching smash cake for the 1 yr old. This video kind of says it all :) in fact, you even get to see the full sized cake right at the end (the smash cake is totally destroyed LOL).

This is amazing!!! So cute! Thank you for sharing!!!! I love doing a smash cake at Chef Mickey! Did they work with you on the timing to meet Mickey or was just how it happened? Its only going to be the 3 of us - we are putting off the big grand parents trip for a bit. We want to be selfish and experience his first trip with just our little man. Thanks again for sharing!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

This is amazing!!! So cute! Thank you for sharing!!!! I love doing a smash cake at Chef Mickey! Did they work with you on the timing to meet Mickey or was just how it happened? Its only going to be the 3 of us - we are putting off the big grand parents trip for a bit. We want to be selfish and experience his first trip with just our little man. Thanks again for sharing!

This is actually someone else's video, so I'm not sure how they worked the timing. I know when we've done bdays w/cakes at Chef Mickey's they have tried to time a character to come back around the time the cake arrives. When DD7 turned 5 at Chef Mickey's, Minnie left her spot in M&G rotation and magically appeared at our table as the candles were being lit. When I celebrated my bday there, Donald came back around for me at cake time. Now, I never asked for any of this...it just sort of happened. I think so many people celebrate bdays there that they won't guarantee it, but they certainly seem to lavish a bit more attention on those getting custom bday cakes vs. those getting the complimentary cupcake.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
This is actually someone else's video, so I'm not sure how they worked the timing. I know when we've done bdays w/cakes at Chef Mickey's they have tried to time a character to come back around the time the cake arrives. When DD7 turned 5 at Chef Mickey's, Minnie left her spot in M&G rotation and magically appeared at our table as the candles were being lit. When I celebrated my bday there, Donald came back around for me at cake time. Now, I never asked for any of this...it just sort of happened. I think so many people celebrate bdays there that they won't guarantee it, but they certainly seem to lavish a bit more attention on those getting custom bday cakes vs. those getting the complimentary cupcake.

Oh that's great to know!! Thank you! :)

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Let him pull the sword from the stone take the picture every time you go and watch him grow! Also design a tee , with Colin's first visit on it we did this and made them for ourselves too

Ahhh, the sword in the stone idea is super cute! I really like that! :) I'm all about Etsy and those shirts. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom