What about Big Hero Six?

Siren

Original Poster
I find it interesting that no one here is discussing the success of 'Big Hero Six'. The film annihilated Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' and that is no small feat. Nolan is a world renowned film director with a devoted legion of fanbois who proudly proclaim, "In Nolan We Trust." https://www.facebook.com/InNolanWeTrust

Not to mention, the superstar studded cast with Matthew McCounaughey -- who is on fire right now, having just snagged the Oscar for Best Actor in 'Dallas Buyers Club'. Also, Anne Hathaway is a high profile Oscar winning actress -- just the year before for 'Les Miserables'. Matt Damon and Michael Caine are also top Oscar winning actors who were featured in the film.

On the other hand, 'Big Hero Six' is linked to Marvel but virtually unknown to most people, as well as the cast. There are no big Hollywood names to boost the film. It is also important to note that 'Interstellar' had all of the IMAX screens when 'Big Hero Six' only had Real D 3D and it still crushed 'Interstellar'. http://www.inquisitr.com/1597324/big-hero-6-crushes-interstellar-with-56-2-million-over-the-weekend/

There already exists an Oscar buzz for BH6. We can expect a knock down, drag out fight between 'The Lego Movie' and 'Big Hero Six'. http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/big-hero-6s-big-oscar-chances/382780/

Additionally, all of the critics and industry insiders are predicting BH6 to beat 'Dumb & Dumber To'.
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/box-office-predictions-dumb-dumber-battles-two-holdovers/

This is a major upset and everyone here is trying to act like the film doesn't exist. If the Jimmy Choo were on the other foot and 'Big Hero Six' bombed like 'John Carter' or 'The Lone Ranger' -- it would be the number one topic in the theme park community. It's funny how everyone is quick to rip Disney apart for their failures but when Disney succeeds there is silence.

With that said, BH6 still wasn't better than 'Frozen'. I saw 'Frozen' twice, which is very rare.

As an aside, I could not figure out why I just want to squeeze Baymax so tight, he is just so adorable & cute to me. And, then it just dawned on me that Baymax is the boys version of Hello Kitty!

2cdyd4w.jpg
fladfb.jpg

Awww, I love Hello Kitty so much and notice how both characters have no mouth. Hello Kitty doesn't have a mouth because she only speaks from her heart!

I would like to see a 'Big Hero Six' exhibit at Innoventions and/or a 3D/4D attraction somewhere, but I just have this nagging feeling that it will up end up like 'Up', 'Wall-E' & 'Wreck It Ralph'.

Last edited:

Siren

Original Poster
Well, people are discussing the movie in the animation section. And the success of WDFA does not justify TDO's failures with the Orlando parks. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other, and maybe that's why all you'll get from the theme park section is 'silence'.
Okay, point well taken. This forum is so massive, I could be on here forever *and* a day, with all of these sections. I've posted in the movie section before a long time ago, I just forgot about it.

We do talk about it except in the appropriate place or in comments in other threads. But the major discussion has been in the animation and tv thread. Come give us a visit. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/big-hero-6.877875/page-13
Wow!!! Great thread! I read the first post and the last couple of pages. Ugh... I am way too tardy for that party, I'll have to get in on the next film. Maybe Moana?

Indeed. It is not theme park related. Hence the sub forum.
Thank you, Marni.

I'll join in once they rip out the American Adventure for a Hero ride to serve the unwashed.
Ouch! ^^^ This is exactly what I am talking about. And, no one is discussing the meet and greet or anything -- for a brand new Disney animation that's number one I found it to be somewhat odd, but I guess not.

ZachS

I trust Nolan becaus so far I've enjoyed his movies, I wouldn't call myself a fanboi though. After Inception I think there are as many people who shy away from him as there are who see a movie because of him.

minsmk

There should be no comparing between Frozen and bh6, they are two different type of movies. Only movies like Meet the Robinsons, Wreck it Ralph, And Bolt should be used in comparison.

Now if we have to...

I like Big hero 6 much better, comparing Bh6 to WIR? I love them on the same level. Maybe Bh6 a little more (I LOVE marvel!) but here is why.

I found BH6 more relateable, I lost a close family member a few years ago. And I love seeing characters actually mourn. In Frozen? Anna and Elsa shed a few tears but then went back to their barbie doll smiles. The characters in bh6? (especially Hiro.) Reacted so naturally to the 5 stages of greif that it brought me to tears. I related to Hiro in most parts (no spoilers but you know what part if you have seen it.) his actions, reactions ect.

I also cried a whole lot more in bh6, Frozen left me unempressed from the hype. There were a lot of things I wanted to see in Frozen that never happened (Villan song, Kristoff Anna duet, Elsa having more developement.) the only thing I really hoped to see was the Hamada brothers as kids. That's it, more Tadashi maybe but that's it.

Matt_Black

Big Hero 6 beat Intersteller, it didn't annihilate it. Both made over $50 million, which ain't bad.

Now, before we talk about Big Hero 6 in the parks, it's going to need to do at least Tangled/ Wreck-It Ralph numbers, or go the Cars route and make a killing in merchandise.

TP2000

Now, before we talk about Big Hero 6 in the parks, it's going to need to do at least Tangled/ Wreck-It Ralph numbers, or go the Cars route and make a killing in merchandise.

Big Hero 6 already is in the parks. It's got a nifty 3-D preview version of the movie playing at Disneyland, in the Magic Eye Theater just below Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. With a themed meet 'n greet with Hiro and Baymax next door in the Starcade.

BigHero6.jpg

As for where it goes from here, and a permanent attraction in an American park, that's the $64,000 question. We should know the second weekend box office numbers about 18 hours from now.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Big Hero 6 already is in the parks. It's got a nifty 3-D preview version of the movie playing at Disneyland, in the Magic Eye Theater just below Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. With a themed meet 'n greet with Hiro and Baymax next door in the Starcade.

BigHero6.jpg

As for where it goes from here, and a permanent attraction in an American park, that's the $64,000 question. We should know the second weekend box office about 18 hours from now.
I already said there is a fantastic place over at hollywood studios that has been dying for a purpose beyond holiday lights...
disney-big-hero-6-san-fransokyo-nighttime.jpg

Streets_of_America_-_DHS.jpg

they could even keep the lights and maybe upgrade em... demolish lights motor action, put a showbuilding there for a eticket family dark ride and have the show building themed like the institute of technology from the film. Seriously this area is just BEGGING for this. I did an in depth brainstorm idea here.

Sped2424

Big Hero 6 beat Intersteller, it didn't annihilate it. Both made over $50 million, which ain't bad.

I could see big hero 6 doing better with the second option. Super heroes kill it in the toy market.

Siren

Original Poster
Considering Japan is right next to American Adventure, I wouldn't be shocked if they tore things up somewhere for a fake San Fransokyo or something. Jeez I hope that doesn't happen :eek:
LOL. San Fransokyo looks so awesome to me -- it would look amazing in a 3D/4D attraction.

Location wise, you're getting warm! Japan has the show building for it. Let the rumors begin and que up Japan for a BH6 Attraction. Frozen for the girls, BH6 for the boys!
I would totally love to experience both attractions. I find BH6 and Frozen to be gender neutral for the most part. BH6 has Honey Lemon -- and, she wears stilettos at the lab, as a boss should. Actually, Honey Lemon proudly wears stilettos everywhere - so I totally *heart* her.
296fya9.jpg

And then there is GoGo Tomago, who is totally cute, edgy & sassy.
359lk4n.jpg

Frozen has Sven & Olaf and the trolls for boys.

Also, Big Hero 6 and Interstellar target completely different audiences for the most part. One's success doesn't necessarily take away from the other's.
Yeah. But, there can only be one film that holds the number one spot and that was Big Hero 6 *not* Interstellar. Unfortunately, Interstellar is mostly seen as a disappointment within the film community -- but at least the numbers are decent. To be honest, I think this may be a John Carter kind of thing, because the reviews are mostly positive. Personally, I hadn't heard of Interstellar until I got to the movies -- I saw *no* advertising for the film and if it was there it failed to grasp my attention.

I trust Nolan becaus so far I've enjoyed his movies, I wouldn't call myself a fanboi though. After Inception I think there are as many people who shy away from him as there are who see a movie because of him.
I've never seen Inception, so thank goodness, lol. I feel like Nolan took the joy and humor out of Batman and made it way too dark. The first Batman movie I ever saw, was Batman & Robin in 1997 -- and my friends had to wake me up when it was over. I finally caught the original Batman movie on TV and it was the best one to me -- I was so surprised at how funny it was. What happened since then?

Apparently, Christopher Nolan has a entire forum dedicated to him and his work. http://www.nolanfans.com/

Siren

Original Poster
The notion that one cannot compare 'Frozen to 'Bh6' is so ridiculous to me. Take a look at the Academy Awards or any cinematic achievement awards ceremony -- all animated films are categorized together and judged amongst themselves. Again, *for me* BH6 is not better than Frozen.

Wow, thanks. It's so nice to see that Disney used an actual male character for the BH6 meet & greet. I think it adds a nice touch.

But remember, Interstellar had all the of the IMAX and DBox screens, so it should have made substantially more.

As an aside, Disney created a Baymax Photobomb website where visitors can add Baymax and all the BH6 characters to their photos! Awww.

sample-photo1.jpg
sample-photo2.jpg

http://baymaxphotobomb.com/

Matt_Black

Wow, thanks. It's so nice to see that Disney used an actual male character for the BH6 meet & greet. I think it adds a nice touch.

Indeed. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, since Hiro is the first Asian-American to be the lead in a Disney film, I think it's good that he's an actual person that young guests can talk to and not a big cartoon foam head. In fact, I think the film's diversity is one of it's strongest points. I was initially on the fence; after all, is it really diverse if you take six non-white characters and make one of them white and another half-white? But it works for the setting and no character comes off as a stereotype of their respective background.

Siren

Original Poster
Indeed. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, since Hiro is the first Asian-American to be the lead in a Disney film, I think it's good that he's an actual person that young guests can talk to and not a big cartoon foam head. In fact, I think the film's diversity is one of it's strongest points. I was initially on the fence; after all, is it really diverse if you take six non-white characters and make one of them white and another half-white? But it works for the setting and no character comes off as a stereotype of their respective background.
Technically, Mulan is the first Asian-American to lead a Disney film, Russell from UP is second and Hiro is the third. But, if you want to separate Disney from Pixar than Hiro would be the first Asian American male to be the lead in a Disney film. As to your question, could you elaborate a bit more because I am lost? LOL.

I agree with the rest of your post. I found the diversity to be beautiful, in part, because it was so subtle. Collectively, the group regarded themselves as "nerds", nothing more. I loved that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom