WFTV: Brawl between 3 guests at Epcot caught on video

LilWalt

Well even if I'm not the one in the fight they don't do anything to prevent me from being injured if they just stand there and watch. Most of the rides do not have much room to escape especially if it is busy.

s8film40

Disney is very non confrontational with these type of things and would almost always just prefer to pretend nothing happened as long as they are not forced to act.

I witnessed a situation between a CM and a guest. The CM wanted to get security involved but the manager on the scene refused. The manager involved literally left and hid from the situation. The CM on they're own contacted OCS and pressed charges against the guest.

Aphex

So pretty much this post is telling me to protect myself because Disney won't.
Probably not a bad way to approach life; "be prepared". Even if security COULD respond within a minutes time, a minute is a looong time to have someone wailing on you.

Generally, when out in public, I try to keep a low profile and give a wide berth to those around me. It's served me well so far. A little situational awareness goes a long way also.

Incomudro

I've got to say, that I'm disappointed in that I was always under the assumption that WDW whisked troublesome people away in a second.
That some security force emerged out of utilidoors and snatched the offenders away like shadowy creatures that emerge at the end of the movie Ghost.
Off you go, never to be seen again...

Victor Kelly

Some are much worse than others. The one closest to me has had brawls between gangs of teenagers, and at least one shooting.

I see you are by me, So yes, Sic Flags America has a lot of problems as does Kings Dominion. Hershey Park is not as bad. But if a park has metal detectors, I stay clear. Wands ok, but if I have to go through airport level security I don't like it. I have been in security long enough to know stuff can be smuggled in and how to do it. And just that level of security tells me there will be problems.

Victor Kelly

Sometimes fights or other incidents can go on for awhile without any CM's being able to do much about it, or security even arriving at all. In this situation from Disneyland back in April, the CM's were helpless to resolve anything, and without the aid of security, they had to pretty much stand aside & let the idiocy calm itself down. When chaos has the numbers & the upper hand, sometimes all you can do is let chaos run it's course.

Edit: And if you notice around 2:05 into the video, a guest in a black jacket tries to seek safety by hiding from the fight behind two CM's. Yet the CM's eventually just walk away, allowing the blonde-haired aggressor to run up & try to clobber the woman seeking safety. Security never arrived.

Which basically enforces and validates what I said about force. You take them down hard and fast without a shred of mercy. This is what I had to learn the hard way. You use all you have to stop the assaulter.

nelsonj3

Disney is very non confrontational with these type of things and would almost always just prefer to pretend nothing happened as long as they are not forced to act.

I witnessed a situation between a CM and a guest. The CM wanted to get security involved but the manager on the scene refused. The manager involved literally left and hid from the situation. The CM on they're own contacted OCS and pressed charges against the guest.
Wow. That's sad. My Dad is retired and decided to work part time at WDW just for fun. However, they put him in PACC (parade and crowd control). He had one guest threaten to fight him just because he asked them to move out of a traffic area. He finally decided to stop working there because he didn't need the money, just wanted something to do.

Aphex

Based on the video, it looks like this whole thing could have been diffused right of the bat with a friendly smile and an apology by the offending party; assuming this actually was about line jumping.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Based on the video, it looks like this whole thing could have been diffused right of the bat with a friendly smile and an apology by the offending party; assuming this actually was about line jumping.

Exactly. Cooler heads should have prevailed.... alas people these days of all walks of life refuse to back down.

Aphex

alas people these days of all walks of life refuse to back down.

...and, as it would appear, over some extremely petty stuff. I know, it's easy for me to call whatever happened petty when I wasn't there. Part of me wants to think that surely there's more to this than a simple case of line jumping? Not that we'll ever know the details.

Like anyone, my heart goes out to any of the children who were around when this happened.

Victor Kelly

There is no line jumping in these types of mass sheeple release queues. Yeah, who may have been behind you is now in front of you. Only the dimwhitted do not understand this queue concept cause and effect. It is a bad idea, but in reality we have to deal with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom