Pre-Trip WE HAVE TO GO BACK! (April 2016)

Wow.

Well, this is quite a surprise!

We JUST got back from Disney on 9/26!! I hadn't been in ten years, and honestly didn't expect to be back for quite some time, but as luck would have it, it looks like we are going to be back in just SIX SHORT MONTHS!! I'm seriously still kind of in shock!

So here is a bit of back story to explain..My co worker has told me that her and her significant other are going to start trying for a baby...right now. I'm totally cool with this except that we normally vacation in September, and really any way it plays out if she were to be successful in the new few months, it would mean no vacation or any time off for me for up to 3 months. We always go to the beach, and so my brain started racking. We could go in early spring, but no, too cold, and basically it just went like that and me calculating out how many months from each month and blah blah. It got overwhelming. I knew that no matter what, I'd be pretty safe in April or May but it's not warm enough for the beach. Disney briefly came to mind but I thought "no way will i be able to talk my husband into going back this soon!" So all day today I looked up prices with the help of my mom (remember, she planned out entire vacation!) and I came home in hopes of trying to convince my husband that I think this is the best thing to do in regards to the uncertainty of my coworker being out next year. It didn't take much convincing! He was surprised that we could stay for as cheap as we could and that was it! We decided we are going to do it! I am giddy like a school girl!

I LOVE my beach trips, and the fact that I'm so excited about this is a bit surprising! So that's that! This is SUPER early in the planning process (and that step is OMG i'm still in shock!) and I know all of almost NOTHING right now except that we will be staying in a Value this time around since we are footing the bill. LOL

Anyway, that's all I've got right now. I honestly can't believe it! Stick around!

Last edited:

lostpro9het

One thing I'd like to improve upon?
Quick service meals! I feel like we hit the very very common ones, and for that reason most of the meals were just "meh"
I'd love to hear about the better Quick Service meals!
I wasn't really a fan of Cosmic Ray's plain ol' boring burger that I ate several times on the trip! Even, Columbia harbor house was just okay (and maybe it's just the gluten free options). One of the better QS meals was at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot. I had pork with BBQ sauce, and rice, and an awesome GF brownie. I think that's the one think I'd love to better at, is finding better places to eat! We don't really plan on doing any ADR style dinners, so QS is where it's at.
IMO the best QS in the whole bubble is Tangierine Cafe.

jjbuster2

One thing I'd like to improve upon?
Quick service meals! I feel like we hit the very very common ones, and for that reason most of the meals were just "meh"
I'd love to hear about the better Quick Service meals!
I wasn't really a fan of Cosmic Ray's plain ol' boring burger that I ate several times on the trip! Even, Columbia harbor house was just okay (and maybe it's just the gluten free options). One of the better QS meals was at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot. I had pork with BBQ sauce, and rice, and an awesome GF brownie. I think that's the one think I'd love to better at, is finding better places to eat! We don't really plan on doing any ADR style dinners, so QS is where it's at.
I don't know anything about gluten free so this may not actually be helping, but:
Magic Kingdom-Be Our guest was a good quick service (but you have to plan for it)
Pecos Bill's has good burgers and such and a very descent toppings bar
The Plaza-I know you said no ADR's but this is a great place to be in the AC and you can usually walk up and see if they have anything available (especially if you eat at non-standard times like a 2:00 lunch maybe) and the prices aren't much more than quick service.
EPCOT-Sunshine Season's is hard to beat but if you want something different don't forget most or all of the countries in World Showcase have a quick service place in addition to whatever table service they have.
Animal Kingdom-Yak & Yeti has a quick service also and it was good (but most things came with noodles or rice...so not really helping with the GF. Maybe they would/could leave that off.)
Hollywood Studios-I'm going to get heckled by the others for this but Toy Story Pizza Planet. I don't know if they have any GF crust but there is a salad on the menu. Our last trip the hubby and daughter fell in love with the cups of Caesar salad that came with the pizza and those two are not veggie eaters.

And the value resorts have way bigger food courts than deluxes so bigger mean more choices at least. Check our this website; they have menus and prices (and some pictures) for most/all places and keep it updated pretty regular: allears.net/dining/menu

MinnieM123

Premium Member
QS: In no particular order:

EPCOT -- Sunshine Seasons (everything is good down there), and Tangierine Cafe

MK -- Columbia Harbour House (I love the Lighthouse sandwich - hummus, tomato, and broccoli saw on toasted multigrain bread; also, I like the upstairs seating area, and I always sit at a table by the window to people watch.)

MK -- I also have to go to Cosmic Rays once every visit--it's just a fun place, and I like the toppings bar for burgers (because the more stuff you pile on, the more it drowns out the taste of the burger--why can't Disney make a decent burger??!! :banghead: And, I want them to bring back the hot cheese dispenser! :mad: )

DHS -- Oddly enough, I like a very small place (just a handful of tables outside): Starring Rolls Cafe. Menu is very limited, but I like their ham sandwiches, and their cupcakes and other pastries are delish! (During Star Wars Weekends, they have Darth Vadar, chocolate/peanut butter cupcakes. :hungry: My favorite!!! )

DHS -- The ABC Commissary is a nice air conditioned, place to get out of the sun and relax, especially if you go slightly off-peak meal times. The food is meh, but o.k. for one QS lunch during the trip.

AK -- Pizzafari (animal-designed decor inside is delightful, and I like the decor more than the food). Food is just average, and menu options are limited: individual pizzas, Italian sandwiches, etc. Note: They've been doing some construction in there this year, and I think they're converting part of the building to a TS restaurant. Not thrilled about that, as it will cut way down on the QS seating.

Lastly, if you get down to Disney Springs, be sure to get a sandwich (tasty!) at the Earl of Sandwich shop!

pirategal

Hi there! Loved your last trip report, thanks for sharing! And congrats on the planning for a new one so soon :)! It sounds like you're making some great planning decisions already, IMO.

We took our oldest just before her 3rd birthday. She's an early, energetic riser as well. We ate breakfast in the room (coffee, cereal/bars, fruit, etc) and tried to be in the parks while she was most alert. We took early afternoon breaks (right after an early lunch usually), napped, then went back out. We actually didn't keep her up for the fireworks that trip at all, but everyone is different of course. We had a few nap battles at the beginning, but overall she did fantastic.
We're going again in Feb with our oldest just 6 and our youngest almost 3....I hope to push one morning long enough to see the FoF parade in Mk! But other than that, we'll be sticking to earlier afternoon breaks.

Did Harper enjoy Peter Pan? I haven't used fastpass+ yet, but I'd vote for that ride one day. Always seems to be a long wait, and my girls love it! Though if you are there at rope drop and head to Fantasyland, you should be able to get a lot done , including Peter Pan.

Have fun planning!!:happy:

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Sunshine Seasons is by far our favorite QS spot. We get the turkey sandwich every trip. Another one we like is Boulangeirie Patissierie (spelling?) at France pavilion in Epcot. Big selection and great prices! Tortuga Tavern in Adventure LAand is good if its open (which is rare). Starring Rolls in HS is great too. Big Sandwiches. The bar at 50s Prime Time is great but not sure if that would be a good choice with Harper. Yak and Yeti QS at AK is awesome as well. We get the sweet and sour chicken, and by "we", I mean that we order it and my wife devours it and occasionally allows me to have a bite, lol. Ill post others when I think of them.

Thank you!!! I've seen Yak & Yeti mentioned several times! We will have to check that out! When we were in AK, we could smell AMAZING things right near there, and I'm wondering if that's what it was! I regretted never going to check out what that delicious smell was~!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I don't know anything about gluten free so this may not actually be helping, but:
Magic Kingdom-Be Our guest was a good quick service (but you have to plan for it)
Pecos Bill's has good burgers and such and a very descent toppings bar
The Plaza-I know you said no ADR's but this is a great place to be in the AC and you can usually walk up and see if they have anything available (especially if you eat at non-standard times like a 2:00 lunch maybe) and the prices aren't much more than quick service.
EPCOT-Sunshine Season's is hard to beat but if you want something different don't forget most or all of the countries in World Showcase have a quick service place in addition to whatever table service they have.
Animal Kingdom-Yak & Yeti has a quick service also and it was good (but most things came with noodles or rice...so not really helping with the GF. Maybe they would/could leave that off.)
Hollywood Studios-I'm going to get heckled by the others for this but Toy Story Pizza Planet. I don't know if they have any GF crust but there is a salad on the menu. Our last trip the hubby and daughter fell in love with the cups of Caesar salad that came with the pizza and those two are not veggie eaters.

And the value resorts have way bigger food courts than deluxes so bigger mean more choices at least. Check our this website; they have menus and prices (and some pictures) for most/all places and keep it updated pretty regular: allears.net/dining/menu

thank you for your suggestions! Pecos Bill's is something I really want to try! I didn't even SEE it on our last trip! *sigh* LOL!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
QS: In no particular order:

EPCOT -- Sunshine Seasons (everything is good down there), and Tangierine Cafe

MK -- Columbia Harbour House (I love the Lighthouse sandwich - hummus, tomato, and broccoli saw on toasted multigrain bread; also, I like the upstairs seating area, and I always sit at a table by the window to people watch.)

MK -- I also have to go to Cosmic Rays once every visit--it's just a fun place, and I like the toppings bar for burgers (because the more stuff you pile on, the more it drowns out the taste of the burger--why can't Disney make a decent burger??!! :banghead: And, I want them to bring back the hot cheese dispenser! :mad: )

DHS -- Oddly enough, I like a very small place (just a handful of tables outside): Starring Rolls Cafe. Menu is very limited, but I like their ham sandwiches, and their cupcakes and other pastries are delish! (During Star Wars Weekends, they have Darth Vadar, chocolate/peanut butter cupcakes. :hungry: My favorite!!! )

DHS -- The ABC Commissary is a nice air conditioned, place to get out of the sun and relax, especially if you go slightly off-peak meal times. The food is meh, but o.k. for one QS lunch during the trip.

AK -- Pizzafari (animal-designed decor inside is delightful, and I like the decor more than the food). Food is just average, and menu options are limited: individual pizzas, Italian sandwiches, etc. Note: They've been doing some construction in there this year, and I think they're converting part of the building to a TS restaurant. Not thrilled about that, as it will cut way down on the QS seating.

Lastly, if you get down to Disney Springs, be sure to get a sandwich (tasty!) at the Earl of Sandwich shop!

I actually really like the atmosphere of Cosmic Ray's, I just didn't like the food! I love how big it was, and that we had no trouble finding a table!!

We did ABC Commissary on our last trip, and we've gone every single time on my trips a long time ago! (2005,2003 & 1996) So I think this trip to DHS, I need to find a new place to eat! =]

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Hi there! Loved your last trip report, thanks for sharing! And congrats on the planning for a new one so soon :)! It sounds like you're making some great planning decisions already, IMO.

We took our oldest just before her 3rd birthday. She's an early, energetic riser as well. We ate breakfast in the room (coffee, cereal/bars, fruit, etc) and tried to be in the parks while she was most alert. We took early afternoon breaks (right after an early lunch usually), napped, then went back out. We actually didn't keep her up for the fireworks that trip at all, but everyone is different of course. We had a few nap battles at the beginning, but overall she did fantastic.
We're going again in Feb with our oldest just 6 and our youngest almost 3....I hope to push one morning long enough to see the FoF parade in Mk! But other than that, we'll be sticking to earlier afternoon breaks.

Did Harper enjoy Peter Pan? I haven't used fastpass+ yet, but I'd vote for that ride one day. Always seems to be a long wait, and my girls love it! Though if you are there at rope drop and head to Fantasyland, you should be able to get a lot done , including Peter Pan.

Have fun planning!!:happy:

That's how Harper is! She wakes up rearing and ready to go! So I'm hoping we can get to RD once or twice, ride what we can, and then maybe have FP+s in the afternoon/evening when the rides are way busier. We were GOING to do the afternoon nap thing this past trip, but then she'd fall asleep in her stoller! I didn't want to wake her to go back to resort, so we let her sleep in the stroller and used that time to get on other things she couldn't get on. Usually once she woke up, we'd THEN head back and take a swim break, but that usually lead to her being tired when it was time to go back. *sigh* it's such a guessing game with kids!!!

and yes, Harper seemed to love Peter Pan! I'd probably use another FP+ on it!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Morning folks!

Not so much planning done over the weekend. We went to the pumpkin patch on Saturday and had so much fun! Harper just loved the HUGE slide and we went down with her several times! We would get off, and she'd turn and start marching back up the giant hill. It was too cute!

Our screen saver on our computer are all pictures from our September Disney trip, and you should see Harper watch them! She gets SOOO excited! She's gasping, pointing, and looking at me smiling! It's pretty darn exciting to know that we get to take her back again in April and do it all again!

There appears to be one small snag with our upcoming trip.......

My dad is getting married. On Earth Day. Which just so happens to be while we are gone. As far as I know, they have not solidified any hard plans, but this was the date they were talking about. I'm not sure what to do. If I change my dates, I miss going the same week at my Mom and Step-Dad. I really don't want to go earlier because of Star Wars marathon, and Easter, so it's just not ideal for me to move it. I don't mean this to sound bad either, but I am 29 years old, and didn't know my Dad until a few years ago. While we have made huge strides in mending our relationship, but I just don't know how I feel about moving my vacation around for a 30 minute wedding ceremony. I really hope that doesn't make me sound like a horrible person. I have had my mind locked on going on these dates, and I don't want to change it! I'm going to text him today and try to feel him out. For all I know, they could be doing a courthouse wedding or they might choose a different date, so I might be worrying for no reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom