We are thinking of moving to FL - need advice

Gail Hayden

Original Poster
The title pretty much say it all.
I need to know about good neighborhoods, (house or apt. rental areas that are nice), job market, etc.
What are electric bills like down there? Areas in the Orlando/Kissimmee/LBV area that are good. Areas to avoid?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I simply cannot stand another NE winter.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Metrowest, Hunters Creek, Celebration, Windermere, (most of)Winter Park, Waterford Lakes, Oakland, Gotha and the newer portions of Winter Garden/Ocoee are all nice areas less than an hour from WDW, all located in Orange/Osceola Counties (mainly Orange). My power bill a month comes to about $90, and thats with 2 computers continually on 24/7 (without that, I've gotten $50 power bills before). Before my last roommate moved in, my power bill was regularly $60, since I never use the AC personally (I get sick easily in cold climate... even constant exposure to AC gives me sniffles), so power really isn't "THAT" much, compared to other cities.

The only thing Orlando is really bad about is cheap broadband internet. Expect to pay in the $50/month range for high speed.

Gail Hayden

Original Poster
Thank you, mkt. Some of the apts. seem to offer high speed internet. Wonder if they mean it is just wired or if they are including it. Ah, yet another thing to ask.

mkt

Premium Member
it varies by complex. For some, it's included in the rent, but most it's just hard wired

Atta83

mkt said:
Before my last roommate moved in, my power bill was regularly $60, since I never use the AC personally (I get sick easily in cold climate... even constant exposure to AC gives me sniffles)

Your thermostat was broken so that throws up the bill some it never really turned off. I can see that type of bill for a two bedroom apartment or something. But not for a one bedroom.

I know some people who had $20 electric bills and others who have up to $50. Also, you know you save electiricty when you turn off lights when you leave and see the AC is pushed up so it does not come on that much while you are not home. It varies, you just learn when you need to run electricity like the AC, I live in Texas so when its nice outside and not hot we open the windows here. But that bill will vary like I said.

Have you been to www.rent.com and looked. You can look here and then hopefully find something then ask with the area and such. Good luck. :wave:

mkt

Premium Member
eh, at this point, I don't even use the AC. I can deal with the heat, but most recent expat northerners can't ;)

Gail Hayden

Original Poster
Atta83 said:
Your thermostat was broken so that throws up the bill some it never really turned off. I can see that type of bill for a two bedroom apartment or something. But not for a one bedroom.

I know some people who had $20 electric bills and others who have up to $50. Also, you know you save electiricty when you turn off lights when you leave and see the AC is pushed up so it does not come on that much while you are not home. It varies, you just learn when you need to run electricity like the AC, I live in Texas so when its nice outside and not hot we open the windows here. But that bill will vary like I said.

Have you been to www.rent.com and looked. You can look here and then hopefully find something then ask with the area and such. Good luck. :wave:
Hi,
Considering the bills I get here in CT, 50.00 would be like free. LOL I don't like AC and open the windows whenever possible. I do shut off lights all the time. we have at least 3 of the 4 computers running at all times.
I would love to know the price per KWH if possible.
Yes, I have looked on rent.com and my mind is boggled. The rents are soooo reasonable and they allow pets. The rents here in CT are high and they don't allow pets and many don't allow smokers.

Gail Hayden

Original Poster
mkt said:
eh, at this point, I don't even use the AC. I can deal with the heat, but most recent expat northerners can't ;)
LOL, most cannot, but, I can and I love it. I go to Disney in Sept. and think it wonderful. What I cannot stand is cold. I love fresh air and sunshine.
Thanks for the help.

WDWKat26

I just moved down here with my family in July. I absolutely love it, I live in Hunter's Creek and i'm 10 minutes away from Disney. This neighborhood is really beautiful, and the area is very nice. If you have any questions feel free to give me a buzz!

Atta83

WDWKat26 said:
I just moved down here with my family in July. I absolutely love it, I live in Hunter's Creek and i'm 10 minutes away from Disney. This neighborhood is really beautiful, and the area is very nice. If you have any questions feel free to give me a buzz!

Dont you go through tolls???I hated that so much!!!! I could of saved about 14 bucks aweek if I didnt have to do that.

Gail Hayden

Original Poster
WDWKat26 said:
Thank you for the offer, I am sure I will have more questions. :)
First, I have to secure employment. :) Just a small detail. LOL

mkt

Premium Member
where in Hunters Creek are you at? I'm gonna be living here for another 2 weeks

Gail Hayden said:
Hi,
Considering the bills I get here in CT, 50.00 would be like free. LOL I don't like AC and open the windows whenever possible. I do shut off lights all the time. we have at least 3 of the 4 computers running at all times.
I would love to know the price per KWH if possible.
Yes, I have looked on rent.com and my mind is boggled. The rents are soooo reasonable and they allow pets. The rents here in CT are high and they don't allow pets and many don't allow smokers.

I moved here from CT right after the winter of 2002, I love it the heat doesn't bother me anymore it only got to me for about a month after arriving here. My rent here is $250 less then what I payed in ct and I have a 3rd floor apt here in FL with a firework view and water view and to top it all off the place is 250 sq feet bigger then the place I had in CT.

the job market is all right down here I was one of the lucky ones that got a raise in pay to come to the orlando area but that does not happen very often.

i live in the 4 conners area (where 192 and us 27 meet) its a nice area, the only downside is alot of the homes are tourist rental communities. However there are some very nice local homes in the area as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom