WDW with a 2 year old- are we screwed?

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
My DH does not want us to make ADR for our trip, September 12-September 20th because he thinks it is too unreasonable to expect us to be at a certain place at a certain time on a certain day when we are traveling with a 2 1/2 year old. He says counter service is the way to go with our dd, and there is no way we can do ADRs. That being said, when we went in 2005, pre-dd, we were able to get a table at Epcot at the British place (Crown ??) pretty much as a walk-up. Do you think we will have any luck getting in for lunch or dinner at any of the restaurants that take ADRs during the week we are there? Or should we not even try? I'm going to get tired of burgers and fries pretty fast I think if we are stuck with "fast food" all week, and I know dd will too.

Oh, maybe I should mention that I do hope to hit all 4 parks that week so we won't be in the same park every day even. Maybe our luck will be better at some parks than others?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
During that time of year there is a 99% probability that you will need ADR's to eat at any table service restaurant. That time of year is during Disney's free dining promotion and virtually ever single person staying on property will be doing at least 1 TS meal per day. Now you might get lucky and find a place that has some walk up available but then again you might also trip over a paper bag full of $100 bills. I think the odds are about even for those two things. If you hubby refuses to make ADR's ahead of time you will more than likely be relegated to counter service meals. You best bet is to try and get into where you want to go to and have a CS back up option. For instance if you want to go to Rose and Crown in England and it is booked you could go to the Yorkshire County Fish Shop which is the CS restaurant right next door.

Two places that you can almost assuredly cross off your list for walk up dining is Le Cellier in Canada and Cinderella's Royal Table in the Magic Kingdom. Both of those restaurants are booked solid 180 days out year round.

EmOhYouEssE

From personal experience in May 2008, we were able to walk up to the Japenese place in Epcot (Teppon-Edo?) and have a sit down hibachi lunch. That being said, our day at Epcot World Showcase was for that alone (we did the front portion on a different day), so starting at the Mexican pavillion going clockwise, we were able to have lunch in Japan about 11:30 or 12 without a problem. When we were finished, the waiting room was packed, so I think timing is the key to anything. The only reservation I made for the split trip was at Ohana on our arrival night; and I only made that about two weeks prior.

For the ney sayers. This we Memorial Weekend, so, even the busiest times can be timed right.

Perhaps if you want lunch at a particular restaurant in WS, arrive before the masses that have just done the e-ticket attractions in the front and head to WS.

Em

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
Bummer about the free dining thing. I thought that was later in the month. Oh well, we'll see what happens I guess. We can always do sit down meals for supper since we'll be staying off-property.

yankspy

My DH does not want us to make ADR for our trip, September 12-September 20th because he thinks it is too unreasonable to expect us to be at a certain place at a certain time on a certain day when we are traveling with a 2 1/2 year old. He says counter service is the way to go with our dd, and there is no way we can do ADRs. That being said, when we went in 2005, pre-dd, we were able to get a table at Epcot at the British place (Crown ??) pretty much as a walk-up. Do you think we will have any luck getting in for lunch or dinner at any of the restaurants that take ADRs during the week we are there? Or should we not even try? I'm going to get tired of burgers and fries pretty fast I think if we are stuck with "fast food" all week, and I know dd will too.

Oh, maybe I should mention that I do hope to hit all 4 parks that week so we won't be in the same park every day even. Maybe our luck will be better at some parks than others?
Don't forget that CS has vastly improved over the years as far as options. It is possible to go a whole week doing CS and avoid Burgers and fries. As far as TS meals, try and look for lesser known places or places that do not participate in the dining plan that are still on property. I may be wrong but I believe the restaurants in the Swan and Dolphin do not participate in the dining program since those hotels are not owned by Disney. I think Bongo's in DTD falls under this category as well.

tink68

We had a hard time finding a place to eat one year so I got on my phone and called the dining #, gave them a few places that we would like to try and they were able to get us in. We just hopped on the monorail and went. It beat running around in the heat with a hungry kid. Program the number into your phone so that if you do have a hard time getting in anywhere maybe they can help. Have fun. :wave: (407)-WDW-DINE
Sheri

KingStefan

As Yoda said, it will be very hard in Sep to do walk-ins except perhaps at very large capacity places like the Biergarten.

It's probably too late to get specific requests now anyway.

My suggestion would be to call dining and give them the dates you will be there and the restuarants you are interested in, and let them find dates and times for you. They are very good at that, and will be happy to do it for you.

If you have trouble getting there with DD, or if you plans change, just call and cancel to be polite. At least then you'll have some options.

KingStefan

For those who are interested, here is a list of moderately priced TS restaurants that do not participate in DDP (according to the official Disneyworld web site):

Downtown Disney:

Bongos - LD
House of Blues - LD
Raglan Road - D
Rainforest - LD

AK: Rainforest - LD

(Edit: Formerly listed was the Plaza at the MK, but it is part of the DDP according to the DDP brochure.)

SSR: Turf Club (out of the way to get to, but really good) - LD

Swan:

Garden Grove - BLD
Kimono's (sushi) - D

Dolphin: Fresh Mediterranean Market - BL

Some moderate to expensive non-DDP places in Downtown Disney:

Portobello Yacht Club - LD
Fulton's Crab House - LD

Some expensive non-DDP places:

Epcot/France: Bistro de Paris - D *

Swan: Il Mulino - D

Dolphin:
Shula's Steak House - D
Todd English's Bluezoo - D

* Bistro de Paris only takes reservations 30 days in advance and requires a credit card guarantee. There is a penalty for cancellation too close to your reservation.

ypcat

That was off the official WDW site. The locations are in alphebetical order, and under MK it is mixed in with the T locations as opposed to the P ones.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Allow me to play devil's advocate with respect to your husband's concern. I've been to WDW multiple times with little ones and I find the TS meals easier. First, someone waits on me. No carrying trays of food items through crowds of people. Second, if you're little one gets hungry waiting for the ADR, just give 'em a snack. Third, an ADR makes you take a break. I took a trip with just me and my 4 year old son and one of the other members of these boards (twotigersmom) saw us when we were tired and having trouble deciding what to do. Part of the problem was that we hadn't taken a break to eat. Also, it's really not that big of deal if you're early or late to an ADR. So long as you're somewhat reasonable (say within a half hour of the reservation) I've never had a problem. Finally, at a lot of the TS restaurants they'll set up the booster seat or high chair for you.

KingStefan

That was off the official WDW site. The locations are in alphebetical order, and under MK it is mixed in with the T locations as opposed to the P ones.

No, what I mean is that if you go to the dining page, and find the listing for "The Plaza Restaurant", it does not say "Disney Dining Plan Restaurant" under the entry like the other DDP restaurants.

In this listing "The Plaza Restaurant is under "P", whereas "The Pinocchio Village Haus" (along with a bunch of other things beginning with "The") is listed under "T". Go figure.

"Rainforest Cafe - Downtown Disney" is under "D".:lol:

coltow

We have always made ADRs. On our first trip we only made 2, DS was 8mo. On the next trip we made about 1 each day (8days at 22mo). We pretty much know what parks we'd be at on what days and went from there. For example if you know you'l go to MK the first day you can make one for there or monorail resort. It is very nice to have that break to relax and eat a good meal.
On our last trip, DS was 2 1/2 we had 1 per day (8days) and I think 2ce we had breakfast and dinner planned ahead. We were at WL so booked 2 breakfasts at WCC.
On our next trip the boys will be 4 1/2 and 17 mo. We have dinner planned every night (8) and breakfast the last morning. We made our park plans first (some based on EMH) and then planned dinners around that.

happymom52003

Allow me to play devil's advocate with respect to your husband's concern. I've been to WDW multiple times with little ones and I find the TS meals easier. First, someone waits on me. No carrying trays of food items through crowds of people. Second, if you're little one gets hungry waiting for the ADR, just give 'em a snack. Third, an ADR makes you take a break. I took a trip with just me and my 4 year old son and one of the other members of these boards (twotigersmom) saw us when we were tired and having trouble deciding what to do. Part of the problem was that we hadn't taken a break to eat. Also, it's really not that big of deal if you're early or late to an ADR. So long as you're somewhat reasonable (say within a half hour of the reservation) I've never had a problem. Finally, at a lot of the TS restaurants they'll set up the booster seat or high chair for you.

I agree with you 100%.

Being seated in a nice, air conditioned table service restaurant with a server who brings out drinks and usually some sort of bread while you wait for your food is soooo much easier with younger kids than trying to get CS, especially when the CS places are very busy.

And you are right about the high chair/boosters too....at CS places you have to hunt one down yourself, and they are usually filthy. Also, trying to find a clean table during busy times can also be a challenge at some of the CS places.

I will admit there have been a couple of adr's we've had to cancel because of our toddler, but the vast majority of them have been fine. But thinking back on all of our CS meals with our toddler, most of them were a bit stressful!

To the OP: Why not go ahead and make some adr's so that you at least have them? You can always cancel them if you find that it is just too stressful for you. On the other hand, if you decide NOT to make any, you can't change your mind once you are there....everything will be booked. You might get lucky, but chances are you would not get in anywhere without a ridiculous wait.

Our youngest has been 12 months, 18 months, 2 years, and 2 1/2 years on our trips and we have eaten many, many, many table service meals without a problem at all. As far as your DH's worry about the timing of meals....it really is alot easier than you think. Just make your adr times around the same times you eat your meals at home. With a toddler, it is best to try to keep them on their regular sleeping/eating/napping schedule anyway while at WDW....it just keeps everyone happier! And if you feel you are ready to eat but your adr time is still an hour away, it never hurts to go to the restaruant and ask if you can be seated early. We've done this several times and have never been turned away.

You won't know until you try it, so I suggest at least giving it a try!

Jodileigh

A big point I wanted to make is that over the years, we have showed up early and late for ADR's and still gotten in. Not like hours and hours early or late, but up to an hour either way has NEVER been a problem. With free DDP, if you don't make ADR's, you most likely won't get into a lot of the sit down places. HOWEVER, table service restaurants at the resorts may be easier to get into w/out an ADR. That's just a thought if you choose not to make ADR's, but still want a change from the counter service options! One other thing, too, is to keep in mind that there are lots of counter service places that do serve things other than burgers. Flametree BBQ in AK has a WONDERFUL bbq chicken salad, as well as other options that aren't in the burger/sandwich dept!

Jodi

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney's website have never been known for their consistency.
No, what I mean is that if you go to the dining page, and find the listing for "The Plaza Restaurant", it does not say "Disney Dining Plan Restaurant" under the entry like the other DDP restaurants.

In this listing "The Plaza Restaurant is under "P", whereas "The Pinocchio Village Haus" (along with a bunch of other things beginning with "The") is listed under "T". Go figure.

"Rainforest Cafe - Downtown Disney" is under "D".:lol:

That's pathetic.:(

shoppingnut

We have been going with my nephew since he was 2 and we always made a sit down meal for every night, we just made it at the time he would normally eat at home and that is the key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom