WDW Trip #4 - Retro Disney (1997 edition)

Good welcome all.

I was digging around at home the other day and came across my old travel diary from years ago. Contained within is a trip report from my fourth trip to WDW, back in 1997. So, I thought I would transcribe it verbatim, and post it here for your enjoyment.

Firstly, I was 14 when I wrote this, so I think this report captures WDW quite well from the eyes of a teenager. Since I really could not remember very well my first three trips (being 2, 3 and 6 years old on them), this was the first one that really stuck in my head, and the wonder and awesomeness of the place took a really great hold. Some of you may not have visited WDW as a kid or teen, and so I believe this may give you an insight into what it really is like for a youngster.

Secondly, this trip report is nearly 16 years old. WDW has changed a lot since then. So, there's the nostalgia factor too.

Finally, as I said, I was 14 when I wrote this, so it's not a brilliant piece of work. Also, there's a whole bunch of random information. I have copied the text almost word for word, only correcting spelling/punctuation mistakes, and replacing the name of my brother with the phrase "my brother", since I do not want to use real names on here (except mine of course - hence the username!).

So are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Brilliant! I'm enjoying this, although I sense I'm a bit late to the party, as you're about to depart. You were a very good writer at 14.

In February 1997, I had just helped start the business I (happily) still work for...time flies.

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
Friday, 21 February 1997 - DAY 8

This morning, we went to the Magic Kingdom. We used our flex feature on our cards for a breakfast this morning at Boatwright's. I had a croissant, and a biscuity muffin type thing, and an American style muffin. That was for starters! For main course, I had three pancakes with maple syrup and margarine. Mum had scrambled eggs and ham. Dad had the same as Mum except he had sausage, and my brother had French toast balls. After this, we went to the Magic Kingdom for the last time. We went on the Jungle Cruise, the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. My brother and I went on the racing cars, and Mum and Dad went on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Then we went back to Dixie Landings to finish packing.

An hour later somebody came to take our baggage and look after it until we were ready to go. During the time between check out and being picked up, we went to the Market Place by boat. We came back by bus and we had a drink of water before we were picked up. He drove us up to the airport in Orlando. We check our baggage in and looked at some shops. We then went to another part of the airport by shuttle train thing. We had some snacks and some Coke. Dad got some duty free. Then we headed for the gate. Then we got on to the plane.

(Ed. much like Day 1, there's a lot of waffle here about the flight which isn't interesting in the slightest. To cut a long story short, we flew back to the UK, took a train home and that was that!)

THE END

----------------------------------------------

Well, I hope you enjoyed that blast from the past. Also included in the same diary book is a written account of the next trip to Disney we made a couple of years later (as well as an account of two Italy holidays and my Russian exchange trip). If you're interested, I can write up the next Disney trip after Christmas.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Fantasmic

Ahh you're from the UK too, the similarities are endless! LOL (we'll, apart from the fact that I'm a girl!)
Enjoyed reading your blast from the past!

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
Ahh you're from the UK too, the similarities are endless! LOL (we'll, apart from the fact that I'm a girl!)
Enjoyed reading your blast from the past!

Haha! I wonder what else we have in common! :)

Glad you enjoyed my adventure. As I was reading it, I was remembering stuff that I had forgotten!

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
Had fun reading this! Did you not go on ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter? I went in 1998 and its still my all time favorite Disney Attraction.

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
Had fun reading this! Did you not go on ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter? I went in 1998 and its still my all time favorite Disney Attraction.

No, I didn't go on the Alien Encounter. Personally, I'm not a fan of things that make me jump or leap out at me.

Glad you enjoyed the read!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom