WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

Sharkreef11

In the poster's defense, I go to Universal for a few days first then head to Disney. I've been doing this for the past 5 years or so, with additional weekend trips to Universal. In all that time, I've only seen 3 rides ever down at Universal - Hulk, Spider-Man and HRRR. At Disney, I've seen Splash, Thunder, Space Mountain, TTA, Pirates, Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Living With The Land, Maelstrom all down on the same trip.Not trying to say Universal is better than Disney, but it is my experience, that Disney rides tend to break down more often than Universal's. Again, just my experience, and I could be unlucky at Disney, but that's the way it's been.

Holy guacamole. When was that out of curiosity? Was that recent or during a down time of the year? That's basically every meaningful ride! The only thing I see mising is Toy Story Mania but with everything else down I bet it would be impossible to get on it then.

Buried20KLeague

Question on the Premier Pass (California and Florida). It's listed price is $849 on both the Disneyland site (which seems to have tax built into the price) and the Disney World site (which seems to add tax afterwards for MYW tickets, but not AP's). Does the $849 include tax?

Either way, it seems that a regular AP is worth it for Florida if you are planning on two trips using park hopper of 3 days or more or two trips without using park hopper of 7 days or more.

Additionally, if you are going to Disneyland and already have the Regular Disney World AP, it's worth getting the Premier Pass if your Disneyland trip is 3 days or more (assuming park hopper).

I don't know that this helps answer your question or not... But ticket media in CA is not taxed, but it IS taxed in FL. So the entire amount isn't taxed either way... Just a certain portion of it that they consider WDW's cost.

I'm also assuming that you're using FL resident amounts when you provide break even info above, correct?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, until WWOHP opened in 2010, you could purchase a 7-day UO ticket for about $95 or less than $14/day. These were great and we bought several. WWOHP changed everything. Now we've purchased a Universal Preferred AP for $199 (with a discount code). That's less than the price of a 2-day park hopper ticket at WDW. When's the last time WDW offered a $199 AP? 1994

UO has the latest "buzz" with the opening of WWOHP. That's where my children and their friends want to go. UO has the "hot" product and invested a lot of money into WWOHP. (Disney could have had HP but wanted to do it on the cheap and wouldn't give J.K. Rowling creative control so she punted on Disney and transferred to Universal who were willing to do anything to win what they thought was a hot property.) I understand UO's huge price increase. They took the risk and invested big on Harry Potter. When's the last time Disney created a similar buzz at the theme parks? IMHO, it was the opening of DAK in 1998. Everyone was really excited about the opening of a 4th gate. WDW has added or upgraded a few attractions since then but, so far, none have the buzz of WWOHP. I'm a fan of WDW and hope that either FLE or Avatarland are big winners for WDW. I'm excited to see what the buzz is like once these are fully opened.
Seems like a no brainer to me that you should go to Universal. If your kids like it better and the cost of your discounted pass is 1/3 the Disney pass at $199 why would you even consider Disney. Of course this same logic would have applied before this price increase so it is not really this price increase that has turned you off. My family loves Disney and we would not at this time want to switch from WDW to Universal so I guess we are stuck paying the higher prices.

captainkidd

Holy guacamole. When was that out of curiosity? Was that recent or during a down time of the year? That's basically every meaningful ride! The only thing I see mising is Toy Story Mania but with everything else down I bet it would be impossible to get on it then.

It was either last summer or the summer before. Granted, we were there for 2 weeks, but still, yeah, it was a lot.

To be clear, this wasn't all at the exact same time. This was over the course of 2 weeks.

You know what though - That doesn't bother me half as much as the scrims on Main Street for months. Ride breakdowns happen. Sometimes it's nobody's fault. Sometimes it's a stupid guest standing on the ride. But it happens. Not to steer the thread in another direction, especially since there's already another thread on this, but those damn scrims on Main Street - No excuse for that amount of time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So Disney increases the price of WDW tickets by 3 or 4 times the rate of inflation and justifies this how? Seems to me that corporate Disney is simply using the parks to make up revenue for their other bad investments (e.g. 'John Carter').

Well inflation index really is irrevelvant to disney's actual change in costs for one thing. Second, what did they have to justify after the last 10 increases or so to guests before they would return?? What makes this one any different?

They can justify it when people line up still to pay it.. And they do.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In the poster's defense, I go to Universal for a few days first then head to Disney. I've been doing this for the past 5 years or so, with additional weekend trips to Universal. In all that time, I've only seen 3 rides ever down at Universal - Hulk, Spider-Man and HRRR. At Disney, I've seen Splash, Thunder, Space Mountain, TTA, Pirates, Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Living With The Land, Maelstrom all down on the same trip.

Not trying to say Universal is better than Disney, but it is my experience, that Disney rides tend to break down more often than Universal's. Again, just my experience, and I could be unlucky at Disney, but that's the way it's been.

It was either last summer or the summer before. Granted, we were there for 2 weeks, but still, yeah, it was a lot.

To be clear, this wasn't all at the exact same time. This was over the course of 2 weeks.

You know what though - That doesn't bother me half as much as the scrims on Main Street for months. Ride breakdowns happen. Sometimes it's nobody's fault. Sometimes it's a stupid guest standing on the ride. But it happens. Not to steer the thread in another direction, especially since there's already another thread on this, but those damn scrims on Main Street - No excuse for that amount of time.
Assuming 2 days on your trip to US/IOA you experienced 1.5 attractions down per day. If we put the remaining 12 days at WDW you experienced 1.25 attractions down per day.

captainkidd

Assuming 2 days on your trip to US/IOA you experienced 1.5 attractions down per day. If we put the remaining 12 days at WDW you experienced 1.25 attractions down per day.

You misunderstood me....

I'm talking about ALL of the times I've been to Universal, not just that particular trip. We spend about 4 days there per trip, and have been maybe 6 or 7 times now.

hokielutz

I think you need to define what is considered "down."
Could it be a ride reset, or was it just opening late? How long was the ride down??

ttalovebug

Annual passes in 2007 were $448 for regular and $579 for premium in 2007.

Additionally:

Premium Annual Passholders are eligible to receive a 20% discount and all other Annual Passholders are eligible to receive a 10% discount on select merchandise purchases at Walt Disney World Resort owned and operated merchandise locations.

And while the food discount is now 10%, it does allow you to purchase a Tables in Wonderland card which is 20% off and allows access to additional events.

There are also various miscellanious discounts across property still in effect: 15% off tours, 50% off mini golf, 30% off regular golf and others.

Lastly, I saved approximately 50% off my room at the Yacht Club last year during the Food and Wine festival.

So perhaps before you rant, you should look into what the pass continues to offer. If you don't feel that these perks justify the increase, then that's fine, but you shouldn't act like they are no longer available when they clearly are.

Just a question- do passholders really get 10% discount on food, and where? On more than one occasion I've asked if I get a discount for being a passholder, and have been rejected every time. :shrug:

devoy1701

Just a question- do passholders really get 10% discount on food, and where? On more than one occasion I've asked if I get a discount for being a passholder, and have been rejected every time. :shrug:

Yes. The locations, amounts, and qualifying times are in your passholder book that comes with your pass. I think the quick service locations that we still get discounts for include the Studio Catering Co near Honey, I shrunk the Kids in DHS, and Flame Tree BBQ in AK. And you get 10% during lunch. There might be more. I know the Tomorrowland Terrace used to be on that list but that place is rarely open anymore.

manda0125

Ap Renewal/Dining Card

Not to get too off topic but my husband and I are Annual Pass holders which expire the end of Sept. Last month we bought the Tables in Wonderland card. At the time I thought we were going to renew our AP's but with this price hike I don't know if we can swing it. If we let the AP's expire can we still use our Wonderland card?

Thanks
Manda

Clever Name

Not to get too off topic but my husband and I are Annual Pass holders which expire the end of Sept. Last month we bought the Tables in Wonderland card. At the time I thought we were going to renew our AP's but with this price hike I don't know if we can swing it. If we let the AP's expire can we still use our Wonderland card?

Thanks
Manda

Valid admission media is required when dining in theme park restaurant locations. :wave:

devoy1701

Thanks
Manda

Valid admission media is required when dining in theme park restaurant locations. :wave:

just to clarify further...if you buy a regular park admission or a MYW ticket, you can still use your TiW card...the AP was only a means of getting a discount for it. Furthermore, if you're dining at a restaurant located outside of the theme parks, you won't be needing any park tickets.

manda0125

just to clarify further...if you buy a regular park admission or a MYW ticket, you can still use your TiW card...the AP was only a means of getting a discount for it. Furthermore, if you're dining at a restaurant located outside of the theme parks, you won't be needing any park tickets.

Thanks to you both! I couldn't remember if you needed the AP just to purchase the card or you needed it in order to use it. It did say in our little booklet that you may be asked to show your AP with your dining card but no one ever asked to see it! I know in the end I'll probably end up renewing because Disney always wins over my husband's wallet:)

Thanks again!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A single day pass for a Six Flags park averages 63$ , per day, per person..

If you don't think the product that Disney offers (or universal for that matter) is worth 26$ more per day.. Then you are being unrealistic.

Hate the game, not the player.
SFOG:
General Admission $54.99 at the gate

http://www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia/tickets/index.aspx

HOWEVER...you can print a ticket at home that day for only 39.99

Tigger1988

Original yes. "top tier" not even in texas. The top tier six flags would be magic mountain on the west coast. Great adventure on the east coast.

sorry, just felt like being a little pedantic

If Great Adventure is considered "top tier" they're doing it wrong. That park is a mess, no matter how many rides they try to shove in it every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom