WDW Spirited Quickees

Sir_Cliff

E.g., if there was someone who got a DUI with a child in the car, that child might already be an adult or older teen, and any fall out from that is just history.
Maybe I'm too forgiving, but would someone once getting a DUI with a child in the car disqualify them from being a Disney vlogger?

I guess I don't really follow any so I don't know what standard of personal behaviour is expected from them, but if that is a one-time thing is it really that scandalous? I guess maybe if they were blind drunk and/or driving erratically, but just the DUI on its own?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe I'm too forgiving, but would someone once getting a DUI with a child in the car disqualify them from being a Disney vlogger?

I guess I don't really follow any so I don't know what standard of personal behaviour is expected from them, but if that is a one-time thing is it really that scandalous? I guess maybe if they were blind drunk and/or driving erratically, but just the DUI on its own?
That's a red flag. People with a DUI are either very reckless or have a problem. A California study shows that 35% of the people with a DUI citation go on to get more citations (and that percentage would be a lot higher without the intervention of the law). Another study has those with a DUI having driven under the influence a dozen times already before they finally got caught.

The very tragic accidents of children and families dying in a car accident is from drunk drivers 30-35% of the time.

So... it's a big deal.

I don't know the fine details of vloggers' relationship with Disney, but a DUI could be cause to sever any type of relationship with them before they do worse and catastrophic things that would redound to Disney. TWDC certainly wouldn't want a headline: DRUNK DISNEY VLOGGER KILLS FAMILY OF FOUR AND THEIR OWN CHILD.

It would take real and public rehabilitation to get back in the good graces of Disney and the public for just one DUI citation. And a lot of time. If ever.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Good thing I jumped ship from that site years ago. I knew something was off since a majority of threads were mostly positive at times and less critical.
yeah... it was sunshine, rainbows, unicorns and magic

also they can be extremely on their DVC points rental forum where it has to be an EXACT format to their liking and you have to have posted so many times to use it or pay extra.

DisneyOutsider

That's a red flag. People with a DUI are either very reckless or have a problem. A California study shows that 35% of the people with a DUI citation go on to get more citations (and that percentage would be a lot higher without the intervention of the law). Another study has those with a DUI having driven under the influence a dozen times already before they finally got caught.

The very tragic accidents of children and families dying in a car accident is from drunk drivers 30-35% of the time.

So... it's a big deal.

I don't know the fine details of vloggers' relationship with Disney, but a DUI could be cause to sever any type of relationship with them before they do worse and catastrophic things that would redound to Disney. TWDC certainly wouldn't want a headline: DRUNK DISNEY VLOGGER KILLS FAMILY OF FOUR AND THEIR OWN CHILD.

It would take real and public rehabilitation to get back in the good graces of Disney and the public for just one DUI citation. And a lot of time. If ever.
America does this really weird thing where we don't care about automobile deaths and DUIs. We just accept all of it as inevitable, even though it's easily the most preventable cause of death if anyone actually cared.

Our punishments given out for DUIs are unforgivably light. We treat the act of driving as if it's a God-given right that can only be taken away under very extreme circumstances.

Sir_Cliff

So... it's a big deal.

To be honest, I shouldn't respond further as you've given a clear explanation and I don't want to seem like I am minimising driving under the influence of alcohol at all. But, I'm in Tucson right now, it's hot, and I have a bit of time to kill before venturing out again for dinner, so...

I completely understand what you're saying about the seriousness of the offence and, depending on the level of intoxication, anything from a licence suspension to jail time might be warranted. I guess my query was more along the lines of what's a reasonable punishment for someone who possibly made a mistake once in their life, albeit a serious one. Is it really that they loose their job and be shunned as is suggested would be the case if it were a Disney vlogger? I mean, surely there have been animators, Imagineers, filmmakers, and others who have actually worked for the company and had similar offences that haven't been automatically fired?

Again, I don't follow any Disney vloggers so I don't really know their relationship with their viewers (or Disney). I just would have thought you'd want to know a bit more about the exact situation before calling for the person's head.

OrlandoRising

I think that would all depend on how much outrage that vlogger's DUI generated. When Disney temporarily cut of Tim and Jenn Tracker's media access over old videos that were seen as perpetuating racist stereotypes, it seemed to be caused by a campaign to draw Disney's attention to those videos. I don't think any vlogger has enough clout or following that Disney wouldn't cut them off to avoid the slightest controversy.

Having said that, fans seem to mistake media access as Disney personally endorsing a particular blogger or vlogger and assume what that person does will be tied to Disney as a company. I don't think that's the case.

And in other areas of media coverage, it would be on an employer -- not whatever entity granted them media access -- to dole out punishment for an off-work offense like a DUI. When I covered politics and sports at different times in Chicago, I knew of some TV and newspaper reporters with DUIs. The Mayor's Office and the Cubs didn't pull their press badges over it.

_CJ

Ryan would be me. I was moderator on the disboards. I started to question the hierarchy and how things operated. Pete didn’t like that. The webmasters didn’t like that. I resigned, Pete told me I was a worthless human and then I was banned.
I remember you. I remember liking your sane moderation. I also remember when you left and thinking, well that sucks. And I stayed. But the boards worsened. The newly surfaced horrors that were going on made me finally end my engagement with any Dis product.
I hope you and frankly everyone else can move on in a much healthier and happier way from here on out.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
America does this really weird thing where we don't care about automobile deaths and DUIs. We just accept all of it as inevitable, even though it's easily the most preventable cause of death if anyone actually cared.

Our punishments given out for DUIs are unforgivably light. We treat the act of driving as if it's a God-given right that can only be taken away under very extreme circumstances.

Generally the problem is that America is built entirely for everyone to own cars. Public transportation and biking/walking just aren't feasible in a lot of places. The good thing is there's more options like Uber and Lyft now for people to get around.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Generally the problem is that America is built entirely for everyone to own cars. Public transportation and biking/walking just aren't feasible in a lot of places. The good thing is there's more options like Uber and Lyft now for people to get around.
Good thing we solved the problem of cars with Uber and Lyft!!

;)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The problem of having to drive if you have no license, yeah
That still puts cars on the road and incentivizes building around the car.

There is another solution of transportation for those without a driver's license: public transit, bicycles, and walking. But our cities and town centers need to be redesigned for that. And individual car transportation for hire, otherwise known as 'taxis', should be an uncommon solution for edge cases.

JoeCamel

That still puts cars on the road and incentivizes building around the car.

There is another solution of transportation for those without a driver's license: public transit, bicycles, and walking. But our cities and town centers need to be redesigned for that. And individual car transportation for hire, otherwise known as 'taxis', should be an uncommon solution for edge cases.
PAT baybe, wave of the future (personal automatous transport)

JoeCamel

tr.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom