News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Well...

Bingo.

There’s lots of customers that love paying for these up charges. These cash grabs. These ridiculous fees.

“Maybe if you worked a little harder, you could afford to park”

“If you want to be in the Magic Kingdom past 6p in October - December, get a better job and buy party tickets”

And so on.

They LOVE giving Disney their money. It makes them happy. They love TWDC and TWDC loves them.
I just attend these events to remind my butler who is the boss ...

wendysue

From my observation the outrage is growing, not dying off.
Absolutely! As I stated earlier, it's not just about the parking charge...that is just the nail in the coffin. Canceled our April trip and have expressed our views to WDW. Awaiting a response, but doesn't really matter at this point.
However, no bad vibes to those that will continue to go. Have a wonderful time.

eliza61nyc

True I never have. I've lived in the midwest and traveled all over the country.
Vegas
NYC
Philadelphia
Washington DC

Are some of the more popular places that charge you to park. I grew up in NYC and there has never been free parking anywhere. lol Philly where I live now in order to park on the city streets you have to buy a resident pass for 30 dollars a year if not after 2 hours you will be ticketed and that's on the street.

Now I don't do motels as a rule, the only time I do is if I'm driving down to Orlando from Philly. That actually was one of the reason why I did like wdw hotels is because you have free parking.

NelsonRD

Vegas
NYC
Philadelphia
Washington DC

Are some of the more popular places that charge you to park. I grew up in NYC and there has never been free parking anywhere. lol Philly where I live now in order to park on the city streets you have to buy a resident pass for 30 dollars a year if not after 2 hours you will be ticketed and that's on the street.

Now I don't do motels as a rule, the only time I do is if I'm driving down to Orlando from Philly. That actually was one of the reason why I did like wdw hotels is because you have free parking.

Please tell me I read this late or wrong. You are seriously not trying to compare WDW to NYC, Philly, and DC for parking rates? In places where space is limited, or where the hotel does not own the parking structure you park in, or parking is shared, yes there are justifiable reasons to pay for parking. However, in this case, WDW charging for parking would be the same as me charing for parking in my driveway. Or, Airbnb hosts charging for parking as a separate fee. It is just ridiculous in this context.

The main outrage for me is:
- The explanation. The "everybody else is doing it" is childish, and a clear money grab. If they said "In an effort to increase security and safety in our parking lots and walkways., we will be implementing a fee to support....", would have been a more professional way to address the public on this.
- The cost. I have paid less for parking almost universally, and yes, even in NYC, DC and airports.
- The tiered pricing. That demonstrates those who pay more to stay at Deluxe resorts have more money to take from, and they have no reservation on trying to do so.

Disney thinks 2019, 2020, and 2021 are going to be so magical, they are invincible.

lazyboy97o

Bingo.

There’s lots of customers that love paying for these up charges. These cash grabs. These ridiculous fees.

“Maybe if you worked a little harder, you could afford to park”

“If you want to be in the Magic Kingdom past 6p in October - December, get a better job and buy party tickets”

And so on.

They LOVE giving Disney their money. It makes them happy. They love TWDC and TWDC loves them.
“Disney would never charge for parking! You people are just making up reasons to be angry.

They’re doing what? Woohoo! Best day ever!”

John park hopper

It's not just about the new parking fee, I hate to beat a dead horse but all indications are they have been charging a parking fee all along in their high room rate costs. To say others are doing it I say BS. Other hotels (Embassy Suites on ID) offer complimentary cooked breakfast, complimentary drinks and finger food in the evening, points for staying. transportation to WDW. Now if WDW were to offer the same as others are doing I may go along with the double charge for parking but they will not. --money grab

eliza61nyc

Please tell me I read this late or wrong. You are seriously not trying to compare WDW to NYC, Philly, and DC for parking rates? In places where space is limited, or where the hotel does not own the parking structure you park in, or parking is shared, yes there are justifiable reasons to pay for parking. However, in this case, WDW charging for parking would be the same as me charing for parking in my driveway. Or, Airbnb hosts charging for parking as a separate fee. It is just ridiculous in this context.

The main outrage for me is:
- The explanation. The "everybody else is doing it" is childish, and a clear money grab. If they said "In an effort to increase security and safety in our parking lots and walkways., we will be implementing a fee to support....", would have been a more professional way to address the public on this.
- The cost. I have paid less for parking almost universally, and yes, even in NYC, DC and airports.
- The tiered pricing. That demonstrates those who pay more to stay at Deluxe resorts have more money to take from, and they have no reservation on trying to do so.

Disney thinks 2019, 2020, and 2021 are going to be so magical, they are invincible.

Oh no, not at all. I was actually just answering a poster who said they live in the midwest and never ran across travel destinations that charge for parking. I wasn't comparing it to disney at all.

Donal Duck

EMH is for 7 Disney Springs resorts and now the Four Seasons.

60-day FP+ is only granted to the 7 DS resorts if you book a vacation package with Disney, not via the resort itself.

Could you list those 7 hotels please ?
Might change where we stay next trip to an offsite hotel.

Thanks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Magic Kingdom had 10.7 million guests in 1971-72. Where are you getting this erroneous 20.4M figure?

I think the point was to make up something to prove somekind of a point that the parks weren't getting more crowded?

Attendance in 2002 was like 43 ish? (I saw the internal numbers back then and I can't remember the exact figure)
As compared to 52 ish now?

Now I'm no math major...but that seems to be a 25% increase over a span where they added net Nothing to the parks...

...I'm no expert...but that seems "bad"

Last edited:

NelsonRD

And they're probably right. I know several families that have penciled in 2020 as their "once in a lifetime" Disney trip. Whole hog - 7+ days, deluxe, dining plan, PH+, and more.

Possibly, but I think the trend of the attraction offerings at the expense of the overall Disney experience, is not a long term sustainable business model. Let's continue this discussion in 5 years, 2023.

MuteSuperstar

This company.. I don't even know where to begin as I stare at all the Disney merchandise around my home. It's like losing someone you care about. My entire perception of Disney as a brand and corporate entity has been flipped on its head.

Welcome to the C-Suite era. These people are in business for NO ONE and NO OTHER REASON but their own personal enrichment. Make no mistake. Overpaid termites.

disneygeek90

I think the point was to make up something to prove somekid of a point that the parks weren't getting more crowded?

Attendance in 2002 was like 43 ish? (I saw the internal numbers back then and I can't remember the exact figure)
As compared to 52 ish now?

Now I'm no math major...but that seems to be a 25% increase over a span where they added net Nothing to the parks...

...I'm no expert...but that seems "bad"
MK is a train wreck these days. IMO, it's almost too busy to even enjoy. I stick to the other 3 most of the time now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I look at it differently. They are probably trying to ascertain how many people thought parking was 'part of the room rate', and is gathering data. He's not saying definitively one way or another because the powers that be have not decided yet.

Nothing was ever "included"...they would never break down fees. Annual rate increases are more effective/versatile

sgtbtlbailey

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I just chatted online with a resort reservations CM who confirmed any existing reservations will not be charged the fee. Its only for reservations MADE on or after 3/21. We are set to go in November and just made the reservation last week. He said we will not be charged for parking if we decide to rent a car vs. taking ME from the airport. Might be a small bit of good news for anyone that's already booked.

pug

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I just chatted online with a resort reservations CM who confirmed any existing reservations will not be charged the fee. Its only for reservations MADE on or after 3/21. We are set to go in November and just made the reservation last week. He said we will not be charged for parking if we decide to rent a car vs. taking ME from the airport. Might be a small bit of good news for anyone that's already booked.
Sadly I can’t book my June/July trip yet because there are not AP room discounts out yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom