WDW Resort Hotel Prices

po1998

Original Poster
I've always felt the "Deluxe" resorts were ridiculously over priced(and would never consider staying at one even for one night), but I was just looking at the moderates, and IMO they are approaching an unjustifiable price. Many months of the year they are $200+ per night for a small room, nice(but not great) pools, a food court, and a bus ride to the parks.

Even POP where we have stayed the last few visits is climbing.

I've only stayed off-site once(a trip 15 years ago where we only went to the parks twice in a week), but I think I need to at least check out some of the off-site hotels that are close to the WDW boundaries, next time we go(2018 or 2019).

Weather_Lady

As someone who could make 2 months' worth of home mortgage payments for what it costs to stay in a Disney moderate hotel for 1 week, I agree. Disney hotel prices are categorically unreasonable. The only way my family can stomach the cost is by traveling during lower cost seasons with a room discount or free dining (or renting DVC points for a studio), but we are rapidly approaching the same point you are -- where the "benefits' of staying on-site (transportation and, rarely, EMH) can't justify the price, when we compare it with our daily, real-world costs and income.

That being said, as long as people continue to pay the inflated prices for food, hotels, etc., Disney will keep charging them -- and raising them! As much as I grumble about the increased prices, they haven't stopped us from going yet -- although they have certainly changed the frequency of our visits, to once every 2-3 years instead of the annual Disney vacations I used to imagine we'd take.

Last edited:

TXDisney

I agree that the pricing is pretty bad. But I don't think you realize how many people go who plan very far in advance and have longer to save. I've stayed at numerous delixe resorts and yes the pricing is outrageous. But the convenience of being close to parks and all is very close to worth the price increase. We've stayed at moderates as well and there is a drop off in quality whether it's worth it is debatable. Sometimes on paper it's hard to understand. I recommend trying a deluxe atleast once and see what you think. For instance my parents have a timeshare near WDW, so when we do a family trip it's a no brainier to stay offsite bc it's free. But my wife and I do go by ourselves or without my parents sometimes and stay onsite. I happen to love the Epcot area hotels. So that's where we stay. But my sister and her family went to WDW this last March and have never stayed onsite and have always said they would only stay at my parents timeshare when doing WDW. They only went 4 nights 5 days but I talked them into trying BC, and they loved it. Now they completely think staying onsite at a delixe is worth it. They just had to see thereselves.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I agree. If you can book far enough in advance and by chance you can get a discount, it is definitely more manageable to be able to stay on property. I have clients that book as soon as the packages for the next year come out and then they make payments. If I get them a discount and can save them money it does make it more affordable for them whether it's a value, moderate or the deluxe resorts. Many will book a value and then when the discounts come out, they look at the pricing for the moderates and most of the time they will upgrade. I can certainly understand your feelings on how expensive the resorts have become. I hear it on a daily basis.

Pam

jpeden

In the Parks
No
We almost exclusively rent DVC points - I don't mind missing out on Mousekeeping by doing this and it's how we afford Deluxe hotels. For example, our studio in Feb. 2017 at BLT is costing approximately $253/night - which is still high don't get me wrong, but that same studio rack rate through Disney was $500 a night. I can deal with no daily mousekeeping to save 50% and be on-site. While there are more restrictions than just that with DVC rentals, it works for my wife and I but I understand it's not for everyone. I'm waiting for Disney to squash the DVC rental market and I'm surprised they already haven't.

JIMINYCR

We havent ever considered staying off site or seen the value enough for us to make a change. I dont know at what point it would ever reach the level for us to say enough is enough . Staying at a themed resort we like, having access to transportation, being inside the Disney bubble, receiving CM attention, makes us just want to keep doing it the way weve always done it, despite the increases ...so we will budget wiser, look for discounts, sacrifice more at home and save more to get the vacation we want.

Tony the Tigger

If we get a deal, we stay on property. If we don't, we don't.

I'll be more likely to spring for on-prop if we are celebrating a special occasion or flying in. Still, we've never done it without either a Florida resident discount, an annual pass discount, or an Orbitz discount. If you jump on those when they are first announced, discounts can be significant. We've stayed at CBR for $116, Coronado for $127, POP for something like $75. (Btw the Orbitz discounts can be less than the AP discounts.)

Our trip next month was just planned in the last couple of weeks, so pricing was prohibitive. Staying off-site for $50/night and driving up.

Also if we bring our dog, we stay off property.

tglancy

being inside the Disney bubble

This is exactly it, at least to my wife and I. We want to get there and be immersed in Disney. It's worth it to us. That said, we also plan almost a full year in advance and budget for it. It's a lot of effort, but when we get to the hotel and get to just be in everything Disney for a week or more, it's always worth it.

Hockey89

I always stay at Deluxe and you are correct that they are so overpriced... We stay at YC/BC so we are close to two parks...You pay for location.... Our YC room was missing blades to the fans...Run down.... Compare it to the room at the Four Seasons we stayed at for our wedding...Night and day...

HurricaneHanna

You have to remember that you aren't simply paying for a room. I don't know anything about the moderates or the values but the deluxe properties at Disney offer all kinds of amenities. There are activities for children and families every day. There are beautiful lounges and lobbies to relax in. There are fitness rooms, ping pong tables, volleyball and tennis courts. The pools are very nice and have fun slides, unlimited towels, and a CM who plays games with the kids ( and servers who bring cocktails right to your lounge chair). The concierge desk is very helpful. There are multiple restaurants and bars plus a nicely stocked market. You can rent water craft or bicycles. Some days we don't ever make it to the parks because we're happy just hanging around the resort. You're also paying for location. Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk are within walking distance of two parks. You can walk to Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary. These are the reasons some of us actually disagree that they are overpriced. You aren't just paying for a room. I read all the time, people saying we only go to the hotel to sleep- well if that's the case then yes, by all means, you can probably do better elsewhere.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
For me it's the value price I'm looking at. There are certain intangibles when looking at Disney properties. Disney Transportation, EMH, Charging privileges on the MB, delivery of purchases made in the theme parks, ambiance, entertainment and activities etc..

My model has changed over the years but where I'm at right now is my max is no more than $360 for a "Monorail Resort", $320 for all other Deluxe Resorts, $240 for a moderate. If I can't find what I'm looking for I usually go "on property-non Disney". $220 Swan and Dolphin, $200 Hilton Buena Vista, Wyndham and Bonnet Creek Resorts (with parking and resort fees calculated in). Then I'll go off property Hilton Orlando, Vistana Village, Hilton Grand Vacations, Hyatt for about $200. Last resort will be the values at about $120.

If after all that - If I can't find something....I'll change my dates.

Edited to say: My problem with the "values"...just too many people. Bus lines are long, food court lines are long in the am and the evening...and maybe it's just me...but every time I've stayed at one...I somehow get the furthest building from the public areas. I think about calling a cab just to get coffee.

Last edited:

Mickey5150

Magical Express and Resort Package Delivery, those 2 reasons alone make staying at a WDW resort worth it. Grant it, I absolutely love the All-Star Sports so my dollar value doesn't have to be so high, but even at the cheapest Disney hotel the Disney magic is felt throughout.

DisneyFans4Life

The deluxe resorts are very expensive; overpriced...that's debatable. As someone else mentioned...you are getting more for your money than just a hotel room, but everyone has a different opinion on what's important to them.

We are staying at our first deluxe this October and the only reason we did it was because we were able to book it through our CM friend. Actually...any vacation we book at Disney goes through our CM friend so we get a pretty hefty discount on resorts. There are times where we will go just for the weekend and will stay off site. And when I say off site...I literally mean some podunk hotel that I can get for $45/night where I check in late at night after fireworks and leave early in the morning to get to the parks. But if we're staying for an extended period of time for a vacation, we are staying on site and we save/budget for the type of resort we want.

bunnyman

I've mainly stayed at the Deluxe resorts based on room sizes with older kids and location, location, location. Nice to have the larger rooms that either have bunk beds (i.e. WL) or sleep 5 so you get the day bed (i.e. BC). Yes, when you add in the extras you get (Magical Express, resort wide transportation, extra magic hours, etc.), it does deaden the price pain somewhat, but if those earlier discussions about resort fees become fact that's a whole other story. I would never consider paying deluxe prices without the availability of discounts (just stayed at WL for 30% off rack, plus free park-hopper with park tickets). The restaurants in the deluxe properties are nice as you have quick service, and generally a moderate and signature restaurant onsite...but I'm not exactly going to dine at Artist Point every night with a family of 4!

Hockey89

I do not disagree with how anyone budgets/plans their vacations.

My 2 cents...I could also budget/save to stay at a deluxe resort. Would I? Absolutely not...IMO it would be some of the worst bang for the buck I have ever seen from a vacation perspective.
That may be true but there is zero chance I don't stay at YC/BC so I can walk to two parks...Monorail to a third.... I hate waiting and hate the busses... The cheaper places are way too crowded...

daisyduckie

Price and the value of that price is so subjective. I place a high value on being on Disney property. Not having to drive is worth something to me. I place value on having Magical Express and not having to pay for a shuttle unless I chose to. Others may find worth in neither of those things.

BrianV

Price and the value of that price is so subjective. I place a high value on being on Disney property. Not having to drive is worth something to me. I place value on having Magical Express and not having to pay for a shuttle unless I chose to. Others may find worth in neither of those things.

Agreed. And some people are rope drop to fireworks park people and spend 7 hours at most at the hotel. For me, the hotel is a major part of the trip. To be honest, I'm almost more excited to stay at the AKL than visit the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom