WDW Photographers Gallery (all images welcome)

kimberlymautz

NO NO NO... not a competition here, I don't want anyone to be afraid of posting anything.

no matter who is here, we all started somewhere... the above image is far from a good image. I'm lucky, in 2012 digital technology has driven down the cost of film equipment that 15 years ago I would have had to sell my car to buy. In terms of detail and color, medium format paired up with a good film takes a lot of work out of my hands. Sure I compose and determine my exposure, but there are no color adjustments or anything here... what you see here came straight from the camera. A 30 second scan and I was done.

Haha, no worries! I was only kidding. The pictures I took were from almost 2.5 years ago, and I just started getting into photography within the last year or so. I wish I knew how to work with film, definitely jealous of your skills. :D

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Haha, no worries! I was only kidding. The pictures I took were from almost 2.5 years ago, and I just started getting into photography within the last year or so. I wish I knew how to work with film, definitely jealous of your skills. :D

the debate will go on and on... people hold different opinions, but I've said this to other people... the easiest part of photography is learning how to use the camera. At the end of the day the concepts are pretty simple: aperture, shutter speed, ISO (or film speed depending on your medium) and that is it. The hard part comes with taking image that matter or are strong.

as for the film skills, trust me... it's not all that hard. I have an external light meter that takes readings, I'd be lost without it.

NowInc

Regarding the quality of the equipment..honestly...yeah it does make a difference..but its not essential. We've discussed this in excess here on the forums...and in the end..its how you know to use the tools you have. Not that my stuff is "professional" by any means..but all my photos I've posted on here are taken with a kit that cost me less than 1000 dollars (and that was when it was all new). a D3100 (lowest model DSLR nikon currently sells), a 35mm 1.8 ($199 new), and an 55-200 (I think I got mine on sale for under $300). Its not AWESOME in low light by any means..but that doesn't mean it can't be worked with.

Disney Trip Oct 2012 by DreGGs, on Flickr

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Regarding the quality of the equipment..honestly...yeah it does make a difference..but its not essential. We've discussed this in excess here on the forums...and in the end..its how you know to use the tools you have. Not that my stuff is "professional" by any means..but all my photos I've posted on here are taken with a kit that cost me less than 1000 dollars (and that was when it was all new). a D3100 (lowest model DSLR nikon currently sells), a 35mm 1.8 ($199 new), and an 55-200 (I think I got mine on sale for under $300). Its not AWESOME in low light by any means..but that doesn't mean it can't be worked with.

Disney Trip Oct 2012 by DreGGs, on Flickr

Agreed... and at the end of the day all you need is a tripod to make up the difference.

ISO performance comes down to the ability of hand holding the camera, so it really comes down to do you mind trudging a tripod around or spending 4x more on a camera/lens combo that would allow you to handhold.

NowInc

Personally...I never use a tripod in the parks. All my shots are hand held..but I also shoot in burst mode. So for every picture you see..I've got about 5 taken in a sequence..and choose the best one.

kimberlymautz

I have the D3100 and I love it. You're right about the night time photos though, they are definitely hit or miss. I'm hoping that since I'll have that plus my point and shoot I'll get some good night time photos. I just love Disney at night, so I'm crossing my fingers. :)

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Personally...I never use a tripod in the parks. All my shots are hand held..but I also shoot in burst mode. So for every picture you see..I've got about 5 taken in a sequence..and choose the best one.

I'm just alluding to the reality that there is an alternative to spending 3K on an FX body. Even a low end camera can be effective if you shoot at the ideal ISO (100 or 200 on different bodies) with a tripod. It's a much cheaper alternative. You may not be able to handhold and get real clean images with a 3100 at high ISO's but you could just shoot with a tripod and there you go. It's a pain the butt to carry one around but if I had to carry extra weight or be handcuffed by noise (and a lack of funds to spend money on a pro body) then it's not a bad option.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I have the D3100 and I love it. You're right about the night time photos though, they are definitely hit or miss. I'm hoping that since I'll have that plus my point and shoot I'll get some good night time photos. I just love Disney at night, so I'm crossing my fingers. :)

I think if your ultimate destination for the photos is facebook or flickr (or any other internet source) the 3100 should be more than enough. You really only start seeing issues with ISO when you're talking about printing the work.

NowInc

I'm just alluding to the reality that there is an alternative to spending 3K on an FX body. Even a low end camera can be effective if you shoot at the ideal ISO (100 or 200 on different bodies) with a tripod. It's a much cheaper alternative. You may not be able to handhold and get real clean images with a 3100 at high ISO's but you could just shoot with a tripod and there you go. It's a pain the butt to carry one around but if I had to carry extra weight or be handcuffed by noise (and a lack of funds to spend money on a pro body) then it's not a bad option.

Oh i completely agree. My choice to not bring a tripod is more of a personal one because I am mentally broken in as to try my best to not be in anyones way. I bring my tripod to parks and other small events, and even then I feel like I am blocking someone all the time. I know for a fact that If I "get over" my complex, I could get astounding night photos even with the D3100. For now I stick to post (Lightroom and Photoshop.....i know.....i know) to help "fix" the shortcomings of using it handheld.

NowInc

I think if your ultimate destination for the photos is facebook or flickr (or any other internet source) the 3100 should be more than enough. You really only start seeing issues with ISO when you're talking about printing the work.

Yeah. I have printed a few of mine in large format. The daytime shots at ISO 100-400 are excellent. But anything over that and the noise starts really showing..even if you try to remove it in post. I will always stand by the D3100/D3200 as being the best choice for learning a DSLR. The guide mode included in those models REALLY does help explain what each function does. Yeah..the camera has (many) shortcomings, but again..for learning...best value for your dollar IMO.

NowInc

Trust me..I know what its like. As I said above, I shoot in burst most. So I have a lot more "miss" than I do "hit". I bring close to 10 16gb SD cards with me (hey...they're cheap now!), and typically burn through 2 each day. Out of the THOUSANDS of pictures I take, I only use about...600(ish). I always say its better to have too many than not enough, and more than a few times have I been surprised at a shot I got "by accident" during burst shooting.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Yeah. I have printed a few of mine in large format. The daytime shots at ISO 100-400 are excellent. But anything over that and the noise starts really showing..even if you try to remove it in post. I will always stand by the D3100/D3200 as being the best choice for learning a DSLR. The guide mode included in those models REALLY does help explain what each function does. Yeah..the camera has (many) shortcomings, but again..for learning...best value for your dollar IMO.

oh yeah, agree 100%

It's an amazing value for the price, especially since the primes are SO CHEAP. I'd never buy a kit, those lenses are garbage compared to the 30 and 50 1.8's, especially at just over a 100 a lens.

I agree with the printing as well... but I'd have to say a minority of 3100 owners are pushing prints past 8x10. So for cash, it's a great deal and a great starting point.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Oh i completely agree. My choice to not bring a tripod is more of a personal one because I am mentally broken in as to try my best to not be in anyones way. I bring my tripod to parks and other small events, and even then I feel like I am blocking someone all the time. I know for a fact that If I "get over" my complex, I could get astounding night photos even with the D3100. For now I stick to post (Lightroom and Photoshop.....i know.....i know) to help "fix" the shortcomings of using it handheld.

I think I've gotten really GOOD at setting up, capturing and moving. But yes, I agree with the being in the way aspect.

I'm on the lookout for a new tripod now but I don't want to spend 350 bucks on one, my tripod now is perfectly fine for my DSLR but my MF camera weighs like 10 lbs so it's fine at the base level but extending the legs make me question the stability in terms of a sharp image, not the camera dropping or anything.

Allen C

... My choice to not bring a tripod is more of a personal one because I am mentally broken in as to try my best to not be in anyones way. I bring my tripod to parks and other small events, and even then I feel like I am blocking someone all the time.

For night shots at WDW I always try to take advantage of EMH. Most park guests are usually at the rides/attractions at this time and I can set up my tripod almost anywhere without getting in anyone's way. The best time is after Wishes, Illuminations, or Fantasmic.

dmgiven

We loved watching this guy do his art during EMH when we were there in 2009.

8116922995_e3f15b643c_z.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom