WDW Imagineering Project: Disney's Animal Kingdom

goofy donald

Original Poster
Welcome! for those of you who haven't read through the hub page yet please do so and it should explain any questions you have (entitled WDW Imagineering Project: The Beginning). Also (shameless plug) please subscribe to this fun exciting project the more readers the merrier and it will only help you keep up with whats going on. So lets begin our first stage of the project: Disney's Animal Kingdom!

The fourth park of the WDW empire, Animal Kingdom is a stunning new exciting look on the term 'theme park'. By far the largest Disney park, it holds a vast and diverse range of wildlife along with some of the most exciting attractions in WDW. Its an exciting adventure with new things to discover every visit and arguably hosts the best theming of any park anywhere. The key to making the park better is simply by continuing to add a few more high quality lands in the park with more for guests to do. This gets more people excited to come to the park and gets rid of the stigma people have from seeing it as a 'half day park'. Even though I could spend a whole day easily here looking at all of the wonderful exhibits and thematic elements, people want more to do and that's exactly what will be given here.

I have drawn up an expansion plan here so it gives you a rough idea about the future look of AK, however I wont give away my secrets to whats coming to these area's quite yet ;).

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb412/gridiron009/Untitled.jpg

(the red is backstage areas and parking, dark red is expansion zones, and all other colors are the lands that already exist)

First up is the Oasis! I will be going through this land by land and hyperlinks will be provided in the next post to each idea for easy access. Have a nice day and see you all soon with the new, modified OASIS!!!

goofy donald

Original Poster
Oasis

The Oasis is an entirely different entrance then anything ever seen in a Disney park. It truly and definitively holds a wow factor with its peaceful rain forest setting that eventually opens up into a broad landscape where you end up seeing the massive and glorious tree of life. I personally love this area, its an amazing way to enter a park with great theming and it gets you into the natural magic of animal kingdom right away. It is definitely not just some area to rush through so you can be first on Expedition Everest, AK requires a different mentality if your going to enjoy yourself. If you take your time and experience the peace and wonder in a leisurely stroll it is shocking how much there is to enjoy in such a small space. This is the one area in AK i wouldn't want to mess around with too much as it is great just the way it is. The only big issue I have is with the rain forest cafe. I don't really agree with chain restaurants in Disney parks, especially if there is already more then 1 on property, so I would like to have at least one of the two removed. This one fits better in its current location so I say keep the rain forest cafe at the entrance here and then we can get rid of the one at Downtown Disney (but that's for a later day:ROFLOL:). Hopefully though, along the pathway a few more animal exhibits could be added to further the effect of the Oasis as the exhibits blend into the forest.
Besides the addition of a few other animal exhibits if there is room, or possibly an area with interesting jungle fauna, this section should stay the same.

One quick note however is that the gate area and guest services will need a slight update to handle the increase in guest capacity that will occur with the new enhancements to the park. this way the magic of the oasis is undisturbed, and issues with guests are dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Sorry for the anticlimactic start but trust me they will be more in depth as we head deeper into the park with some new attractions in the near future . Next we head up the path towards the tree of life and Discovery Island!

Recap

Attractions: The Oasis exhibits and gardens

Dining: The Rainforest Cafe

Shopping: Outpost / Garden Gate Gifts

Jakester

doesnt pertain to The Oasis, but i would like to see a WOC type show on the lake by expedition everest, and a new land (do south america) between Rafikis planet watch and Asia. South America could have Many animal exhibits including a RainForest style trek. i dont know what the big e-ticket could be

But about the Oasis, Id kinda like it the way it is now. If anything, expand the Entrance Area.

goofy donald

Original Poster
Discovery Island

The central hub of Animal Kingdom, home of the park's main icon the magnificent tree of life. Its a very interesting combination and between clashing elements of peace and calm found in the discovery island trails and the almost overpowering excitement, and general overall busyness you would expect from the hub of a theme park found in the "bazaar" section of the land. although again this is another fairly compact area, I believe this time there are a few changes that can be made.

First off, i love the discovery trails and its tough to be a bug, they remain as is. Mickey's Jamin' Jungle parade will remain as well, but the route will have to change slightly, (thats for another day:zipit:).

The first addition would be to add a small circle vision 3d theater roughly the size of Oh Canada! at Epcot, that would showcase a planet earth style movie about the lives animal lead in the wild. preferably the show would follow one of two formats. It could be long, say 3-4 hours on a loop where people could come and go as they pleased or a short 15-20 minute long show that focused on one animal or ecosystem with a rapid turnover of different shows either throughout the day or periodically, every week or so. the location would be behind island mercantile on the way into camp Minnie Mickey (hopefully engulfing the DVC area in the process:sohappy:). i believe it adds a nice way to get out of the sun and enjoy nature while preparing for the next adventure in your day for those that need a break. This is one of the main thing AK is desperately missing rite now, a place with some air conditioning people can escape the heat. it would have a simple indoors, black curtained wall theater with the screens all around the circular room and leaning rails for people to relax on. the outside would fit the theme of the bazaar, bright colors, metal roof, and a nicely themed sign saying The Planet Earth Theater. It would also include a small waiting area, in the case capacity is full, that would be decorated like a theater lobby. There would be posters of animals along the walls that are featured in the movie(s), not corny movie adds but actual animal pictures, lit warmly but not bright enough that the audience watching the movie can sense people coming and going. the exit would be a small path that would lead back into island mercantile, which now has a small section near the exit for planet earth souvenirs, the dvd's, stuffed animals, etc. Member Addition: Thanks to Comics 101 for this concept. The new theater project will be scrapped and instead a full renovation of the ITTBAB theater will occur as the show, and all its components, head over to Camp Minnie Mickey. The show will be standard showtime length and will be similar to Mickey's Philharmagic only instead focusing on real wildlife footage. The Planet Earth addition to the island mercantile store will still occur however. The new show will be called Planet Earth: The spectacle of life.

My next change would be to add a full service element to the flame tree bbq. this could be accomplished by adding some more delicious bbq dishes and upping the scale of the dining experience a little through creating an addition that goes straight down to the water on discovery river with outdoor dining. this new area would be two levels (a large lower area, and a smaller upper floor and balcony for the experience soon to be mentioned) and would encompass almost all the waterfront from the dinoland usa bridge to about a third of the way up the right side of discovery island. a quick service window would remain open as well offering ribs, similar to the set up of the rose and crown at UK epcot.

third, the radio disney riverboats make a comeback, but in a much different role. they are now passenger ships that take guests to three other docks (including the home base) in the park, Asia, Africa, and Dinoland. The Asian dock would be in the area in front of Expedition Everest and the African dock would be across from the Dawa bar, while the Dinoland dock would be near the current location of the in the wild theater. also the radio disney......not happening anymore, now there will be location specific narration to each port and the adventures you can experience when you get there. each dock is specificly themed to the area it is in and they will be known as the Discovery Island world tour boats.

Finally the big finish. theres always been a night show in every park, MK gets Wishes, Epcot Iluminations, DHS Fantasmic, and now new to DAK The Circle of Life. A new night show that could be viewed from either dinoland usa, or discovery island (to support the crowds) its a mix of world of color, illuminations (- fireworks), the electric light boats (that happen at night near the MK hotels) and a variety of other techniques. a new draw bridge would be built between dinoland usa and asia to cut off access to the animals from that point and to allow the larger boats and freights to come through and prepare the show (i looked on google earth and this is currently where they are storing boats right behind the nemo theater so it works out perfectly). the animals from oasis and discovery island trails would all be brought in a little bit early on the 3 nights a week they do the show as to not be annoyed by the noise from people and the show itself, it would only broadcast from speakers in the oasis, discovery island and dino land areas again with the animals best interest in mind. the show would consist of water jets firing huge blasts in the air, projections of famous disney animal movies on mist screens and animals in the wild starting and finishing with the beautiful music from the lion kings circle of life with other Disney classic music and high tempo pieces in between. It could be included with a dining package as well at flame tree bbq, and characters will be around to watch the show with guests as well. a wonderful end to the day in my opinion and the answer to all our problems for a night show at AK. unfortunately the two biggest attractions everest and kilimanjaro will close down prior to this but they will remain open for that crucial 30 mins to an hour longer then they normally would be allowing for that last minute ride. staff would then usher people away from those areas of the park with animals, cutting off access to them via security fences and personnel. All areas except for Dinoland, camp Minnie Mickey, discovery island and the Oasis would be closed to public for the duration of the day. The park would then close approx 30 mins after the show still giving it a reasonably early closing time but not as early as before, essentially an hour to an hour and a half after sunset. Member Addition: Thank's too Tip Top Club for his help on the project. Everest will be able to remain open until close with security blocking off guests to maharajah instead a little further up the path. Extensive sound proofing and shutting the soundproof doors too be installed on the new animal exhibit for Asia will be sufficient to leave the animals without stress. this also provides a new viewing place for world of color. There will be focused speakers away from the monkey island and exhibits and towards the guest viewing area near the railing on the water this would make fro a better experience overall. As a side note, *thank you to Gator guy for the idea* an extra addition for the show would be some of the same technology used for the MMaY show. It would display different images on the side of Everest that go along with whats on the water screens.

Recap

Attractions:
Planet Earth: The Spectacle of Life
Discovery island trails
Discovery Island World Tours
Circle of Life: Nighttime Spectacular!

Dining:
Flame tree BBQ
Fire pit ribs (new quick service)
Pizzafari
Safari coffee
Safari kiosk

Shopping:
Beastly Bazaar
Island Mercantile
Disney Outfitters
Creature Comfort

thats all for now next up Dinoland USA!

mharrington

Finally the big finish. theres always been a night show in every park, MK gets Wishes, Epcot Iluminations, DHS Fantasmic, and now new to DAK The Circle of Life. A new night show that could be viewed from either dinoland usa, or discovery island (to support the crowds) its a mix of world of color, illuminations (- fireworks), the electric light boats (that happen at night near the MK hotels) and a variety of other techniques. a new draw bridge would be built between dinoland usa and asia to cut off access to the animals from that point and to allow the larger boats and freights to come through and prepare the show (i looked on google earth and this is currently where they are storing boats right behind the nemo theater so it works out perfectly). the animals from oasis and discovery island trails would all be brought in a little bit early on the 3 nights a week they do the show as to not be annoyed by the noise from people and the show itself, it would only broadcast from speakers in the oasis, discovery island and dino land areas again with the animals best interest in mind. the show would consist of water jets firing huge blasts in the air, projections of famous disney animal movies on mist screens and animals in the wild starting and finishing with the beautiful music from the lion kings circle of life with other Disney classic music and high tempo pieces in between. It could be included with a dining package as well at flame tree bbq, and characters will be around to watch the show with guests as well. a wonderful end to the day in my opinion and the answer to all our problems for a night show at AK. unfortunately the two biggest attractions everest and kilimanjaro will close down prior to this but they will remain open for that crucial 30 mins to an hour longer then they normally would be allowing for that last minute ride. staff would then usher people away from those areas of the park with animals, cutting off access to them via security fences and personnel. All areas except for Dinoland, camp Minnie Mickey, discovery island and the Oasis would be closed to public for the duration of the day. The park would then close approx 30 mins after the show still giving it a reasonably early closing time but not as early as before, essentially an hour to an hour and a half after sunset.

I don't mean to be critical so soon, but wouldn't a fireworks show (indeed any night show for this park) disturb the animals unnecessarily?

ScorpionX

The central hub of Animal Kingdom, home of the park's main icon the magnificent tree of life. Its a very interesting combination and between clashing elements of peace and calm found in the discovery island trails and the almost overpowering excitement, and general overall busyness you would expect from the hub of a theme park found in the "bazaar" section of the land. although again this is another fairly compact area, I believe this time there are a few changes that can be made.

First off, i love the discovery trails and its tough to be a bug, they remain as is. Mickey's Jamin' Jungle parade will remain as well, but the route will have to change slightly, (thats for another day:zipit:).

The first addition would be to add a small circle vision 3d theater roughly the size of Oh Canada! at Epcot, that would showcase a planet earth style movie about the lives animal lead in the wild. preferably the show would follow one of two formats. It could be long, say 3-4 hours on a loop where people could come and go as they pleased or a short 15-20 minute long show that focused on one animal or ecosystem with a rapid turnover of different shows either throughout the day or periodically, every week or so. the location would be behind island mercantile on the way into camp Minnie Mickey (hopefully engulfing the DVC area in the process:sohappy:). i believe it adds a nice way to get out of the sun and enjoy nature while preparing for the next adventure in your day for those that need a break. This is one of the main thing AK is desperately missing rite now, a place with some air conditioning people can escape the heat. it would have a simple indoors, black curtained wall theater with the screens all around the circular room and leaning rails for people to relax on. the outside would fit the theme of the bazaar, bright colors, metal roof, and a nicely themed sign saying The Planet Earth Theater. It would also include a small waiting area, in the case capacity is full, that would be decorated like a theater lobby. There would be posters of animals along the walls that are featured in the movie(s), not corny movie adds but actual animal pictures, lit warmly but not bright enough that the audience watching the movie can sense people coming and going. the exit would be a small path that would lead back into island mercantile, which now has a small section near the exit for planet earth souvenirs, the dvd's, stuffed animals, etc.

My next change would be to add a full service element to the flame tree bbq. this could be accomplished by adding some more delicious bbq dishes and upping the scale of the dining experience a little through creating an addition that goes straight down to the water on discovery river with outdoor dining. this new area would be two levels (a large lower area, and a smaller upper floor and balcony for the experience soon to be mentioned) and would encompass almost all the waterfront from the dinoland usa bridge to about a third of the way up the right side of discovery island. a quick service window would remain open as well offering ribs, similar to the set up of the rose and crown at UK epcot.

third, the radio disney riverboats make a comeback, but in a much different role. they are now passenger ships that take guests to three other docks (including the home base) in the park, Asia, Africa, and Dinoland. The Asian dock would be in the area in front of Expedition Everest and the African dock would be across from the Dawa bar, while the Dinoland dock would be near the current location of the in the wild theater. also the radio disney......not happening anymore, now there will be location specific narration to each port and the adventures you can experience when you get there. each dock is specificly themed to the area it is in and they will be known as the Discovery Island world tour boats.

Finally the big finish. theres always been a night show in every park, MK gets Wishes, Epcot Iluminations, DHS Fantasmic, and now new to DAK The Circle of Life. A new night show that could be viewed from either dinoland usa, or discovery island (to support the crowds) its a mix of world of color, illuminations (- fireworks), the electric light boats (that happen at night near the MK hotels) and a variety of other techniques. a new draw bridge would be built between dinoland usa and asia to cut off access to the animals from that point and to allow the larger boats and freights to come through and prepare the show (i looked on google earth and this is currently where they are storing boats right behind the nemo theater so it works out perfectly). the animals from oasis and discovery island trails would all be brought in a little bit early on the 3 nights a week they do the show as to not be annoyed by the noise from people and the show itself, it would only broadcast from speakers in the oasis, discovery island and dino land areas again with the animals best interest in mind. the show would consist of water jets firing huge blasts in the air, projections of famous disney animal movies on mist screens and animals in the wild starting and finishing with the beautiful music from the lion kings circle of life with other Disney classic music and high tempo pieces in between. It could be included with a dining package as well at flame tree bbq, and characters will be around to watch the show with guests as well. a wonderful end to the day in my opinion and the answer to all our problems for a night show at AK. unfortunately the two biggest attractions everest and kilimanjaro will close down prior to this but they will remain open for that crucial 30 mins to an hour longer then they normally would be allowing for that last minute ride. staff would then usher people away from those areas of the park with animals, cutting off access to them via security fences and personnel. All areas except for Dinoland, camp Minnie Mickey, discovery island and the Oasis would be closed to public for the duration of the day. The park would then close approx 30 mins after the show still giving it a reasonably early closing time but not as early as before, essentially an hour to an hour and a half after sunset.

Recap

Attractions:
Its tough to be a bug
Discovery island trails
Planet Earth theater
Discovery Island World Tours
Circle of Life: Nighttime Spectacular!

Dining:
Flame tree BBQ
Fire pit ribs (new quick service)
Pizzafari
Safari coffee
Safari kiosk

Shopping:
Beastly Bazaar
Island Mercantile
Disney Outfitters / (side note half of the outfitters location becomes the walking stick bugporium, a small its tough to be a bug gift shop hosted by an AA walking stick near the entrance that has pre recorded phrases by the original actor, david hyde pearce)
Creature Comfort

thats all for now next up Dinoland USA!
Maybe Planet Earth could replace It's Tough to be a Bug!.

goofy donald

Original Poster
I don't mean to be critical so soon, but wouldn't a fireworks show (indeed any night show for this park) disturb the animals unnecessarily?

sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my descriptions. there would be no fireworks at all be involved with the show. when I discussed comparisons to illuminations i meant the opposite of what I think you are referring to '(- fireworks)' meant minus fireworks. I agree that would disturb the animals that is why the show is based off of mist screens, water cannons and projections along with light.

goofy donald

Original Poster
Maybe Planet Earth could replace It's Tough to be a Bug!.

interesting, but I personally really enjoy the show and if it is replaced it still doesn't help with the demand for places to relax with A/C. A new location must be created and I thought instead of another gift shop or restaurant this might be a fun idea.

Tip Top Club

I love the idea of a Planet Earth attraction at DAK. And I agree that while I personally detest "It's tough to be a bug" Even I wouldn't close it down (I would make some major modifications though, as it has MASSIVE re-rideability concerns)

As for a night show, the idea is wonderful, but In it's current state the park couldn't support a night show, so I hope you have some surprises on the horizon for us!

Just FYI, Kilimanjaro Safaris does indeed close early each night (the latest it's ever open is 7:30 I think, but that's just off the top of my head) so that's not a problem, and I don't see why Everest would have to close for your night show? Any insights on that?

fantasiafan

two words: Beastly Kingdom. Anyway a Mini Disney nature film would be nice under the tree of life. Move tough to be a bug elsewhere (no clue where)

goofy donald

Original Poster
As for a night show, the idea is wonderful, but In it's current state the park couldn't support a night show, so I hope you have some surprises on the horizon for us!

Oh I most definitely do ;). I think a step in the right direction for supporting the show IMO was adding full service to flame tree in addition to the current water front areas already present and the new balcony viewing area. That's only half of the viewing space with the rest being on the Dinoland side. with all this lakefront area opened up, I feel like the night show will be well supported.

Just FYI, Kilimanjaro Safaris does indeed close early each night (the latest it's ever open is 7:30 I think, but that's just off the top of my head) so that's not a problem, and I don't see why Everest would have to close for your night show? Any insights on that?

Everest would unfortunately need to close simply based on its location. I want to continue to add around its general area (not to give anything away) and some of those additions include exhibits. The later these attractions are open and activity is present in their area, the more stress it puts on the animals. Its kind of the same argument as to why fireworks cant be used in the night show. As well its a housekeeping issue for the park that will help Disney in closing as early as possible while keeping the park open for the longest amount of time. Guests will be confined to certain sections of the park and while they are enjoying themselves, maintenance, janitorial, and animal care can work on the other areas. Everest will still be open until dusk however aprox. which is hours later then its open on some days.

Tip Top Club

You know there are some nights when Everest runs until 11:00pm right? Like for nights around Christmas and stuff. Even if you add more animals, or more other attractions in other locations, I just don't see why you would have to close a HUGE attraction that you can see would be like a banner screaming "I'M CLOSED" across the park...I'm honestly not trying to attack you, I just am trying to figure out your logic.

goofy donald

Original Poster
You know there are some nights when Everest runs until 11:00pm right? Like for nights around Christmas and stuff. Even if you add more animals, or more other attractions in other locations, I just don't see why you would have to close a HUGE attraction that you can see would be like a banner screaming "I'M CLOSED" across the park...I'm honestly not trying to attack you, I just am trying to figure out your logic.

I've actually never heard of a general admission park day that had AK let alone Everest running that late but would like to hear myself proven wrong. However this is completely besides the point. Yes on special occasions and events certain areas of the park, including Everest, may or may not be open later than usual. Again the points I listed before would be reasons as to why I would close Everest and other areas of the park earlier. The reasons for this will hopefully become clearer as we progress. I'm planning to do an Asia update after Dinoland so I think that will answer you more definitively. AK will already be left open much later then it already is as the latest sunset of the year in orlando is approx 8:30. therefore park closing on show days would be 9:30 with primary closings at 8:45, while on non show days the entire park would close at 8. This gives AK a consistent closing time with many zoos and is really all you could ask from TDO. I was also mulling around the option of one night a week during busy seasons, have evening EMH start at 8 and give a disney resort guest only show, just a thought. This project, reiterating what I said in the begging, is supposed to be as realistic as possible. Yes if it were possible I would have Everest run 24 hours a day non stop and give all the guests free access to the park but that's not what this is about. this is about creating a realistic actual representation of what Disney has the ability to accomplish. There's more to come, and without giving too much away, there will be a new e-ticket coming in the next update and that WILL remain open when the primary closing happens. stay tuned all, I should have this next update done either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom