WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
From the Run Disney Facebook Page

In an abundance of caution, the Walt Disney World Resort has cancelled all running events on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 due to weather conditions. This includes the Walt Disney World Half Marathon and the Disney Kids Races. In addition, the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo will delay opening until 11 a.m. While we share our Guests’ obvious disappointment, the safety of our Guests and Cast is most important. Weather tracking has indicated there is an elevated risk of lightning in the area of the racecourse. In addition, there are sections of the course that do not provide immediate access to shelter. Both of these factors have influenced this difficult decision.

All registered half marathon runners will receive their half marathon medal and may choose from one of the following options:

A full refund for their race registration in the form of a Disney gift card.
Two One-Day Park Hopper tickets.
Defer registration to another runDisney half marathon race in the U.S. within the next 24 months, subject to availability.
We can offer limited availability to run the full marathon on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017 during the regularly scheduled race.

All registered runDisney Kids Race runners will receive their Kids Race medal and a full race registration in the form of a Disney gift card.

Details on the fulfillment of the above options will be communicated by 10 p.m. this evening.

Nemo14

From the Run Disney Facebook Page

In an abundance of caution, the Walt Disney World Resort has cancelled all running events on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 due to weather conditions. This includes the Walt Disney World Half Marathon and the Disney Kids Races. In addition, the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo will delay opening until 11 a.m. While we share our Guests’ obvious disappointment, the safety of our Guests and Cast is most important. Weather tracking has indicated there is an elevated risk of lightning in the area of the racecourse. In addition, there are sections of the course that do not provide immediate access to shelter. Both of these factors have influenced this difficult decision.

All registered half marathon runners will receive their half marathon medal and may choose from one of the following options:

A full refund for their race registration in the form of a Disney gift card.
Two One-Day Park Hopper tickets.
Defer registration to another runDisney half marathon race in the U.S. within the next 24 months, subject to availability.
We can offer limited availability to run the full marathon on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017 during the regularly scheduled race.

All registered runDisney Kids Race runners will receive their Kids Race medal and a full race registration in the form of a Disney gift card.

Details on the fulfillment of the above options will be communicated by 10 p.m. this evening.
Wow! I know my niece and her family will be disappointed.

jakeman

Weather: An elevated risk of lightning.
That's unfortunate.
It says the weather...
Yeah, I read that but there's different types of weather. Apologies my inquiry was as general as your response. ;)
According to runDisney on Twitter, the event is still happening assuming no lightning is present. They are providing constant updates about the status.
There's no information out there (at the time of this post) on either Facebook, Twitter, or the main RunDisney site.

However, there are folks replying on FB about the cancellation.

EDIT: It's not present on the FB page for RunDisney but there is a statement on the Marathon Weekend event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/987545204692321/permalink/1228582263921946/

Thanks @RandomPrincess for being better at the internets than I am!

Last edited:

Figment82

That's unfortunate.
Yeah, I read that but there's different types of weather. Apologies my inquiry was as general as your response. ;)
There's no information out there (at the time of this post) on either Facebook, Twitter, or the main RunDisney site.

You have to go onto the actual event's page on Facebook to see the notice. They posted signs in the hotel lobbies too. Twitter hasn't been updated yet for some reason.

I'm so gutted, but understand. I'll be running my own make-up half tomorrow once the weather clears up...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
That's unfortunate.

EDIT: It's not present on the FB page for RunDisney but there is a statement on the Marathon Weekend event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/987545204692321/permalink/1228582263921946/

Thanks @RandomPrincess for being better at the internets than I am!
It came up on my feed. Sorry I marked the wrong page.

jakeman

You have to go onto the actual event's page to see the notice. They posted signs in the hotel lobbies too. Twitter hasn't been updated yet for some reason.

I'm so gutted, but understand. I'll be running my own make-up half tomorrow once the weather clears up...
Yep. I updated my post with the link. Strange that they didn't put it on the main RunDisney page.

Whoops, didn't realize the tweet I was looking at was in fact from a couple of hours ago.
I saw that too. They really should at least direct people to the FB event page through twitter.
It came up on my feed. Sorry I marked the wrong page.
No worries! Disney's not the best at interneting. You'd think canceling an event like this would have them posting it in more than one place.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
My wife was doing the half tomorrow and is she is bummed. This is especially sad for those who are doing Dopey's and Goofy's Challenges or relying on this race for a Coast To Coast Challenge.

Kamikaze

While I understand the difficulty of dealing with 27000 HM runners and finding a place to put them if there is lighting on what is an out-and-back, well, I'll put it this way - I'm not mad: I'm absolutely inconsolable. Dopey is literally the only reason I am down here. (Topic for a different time). I imagine they are going to give out the Dopey/Goofy medals still, but they haven't even mentioned it at this point. If they don't, I'm going to absolutely lose it on someone. Hopefully they will clear that part of it up in the 10pm email they are promising.

The thing about them just giving out the medals is that did you really earn it at that point? Sure, no one else knows - but I would. So if they say they are still giving out the medals, I will get out tomorrow and do the 13.1 anyway - in the morning, in the rain. But its not even close to the same thing.

And I don't think the options they are offering as recompense are acceptable either - especially for Goofy/Dopey runners.

JoeCamel

Wow, that is huge. All the volunteers and stations along the course and the CMs that support this event will be doing other things tomorrow. Looks like rain but nothing nasty moving through to me.

Ariel484

95971797-C546-42A1-B1F1-3F23B86E4B2E.jpg
@Kamikaze

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom