Waterproof mattress pads?

Club34

this is not even debatable. put yourself in the next guests' shoes and you've answered your own question. you get the waterproof mattress cover. we have to sleep in that bed after your ds. some hodgepodge of drop clothes and doggie pads or duct tape/whatever is NOT acceptable. do the right thing. if this is a troll answer then i'm sorry but not taking the step i have outlined is trolling the hotel room. this is coming from someone who has traveled with small children in the party.

HRHPrincessAriel

this is not even debatable. put yourself in the next guests' shoes and you've answered your own question. you get the waterproof mattress cover. we have to sleep in that bed after your ds. some hodgepodge of drop clothes and doggie pads or duct tape/whatever is NOT acceptable. do the right thing. if this is a troll answer then i'm sorry but not taking the step i have outlined is trolling the hotel room. this is coming from someone who has traveled with small children in the party.
what?

Sans Souci

If you are worried about sleeping on a bed where a child may have voided his/her bladder, I'd like to remind you that WDW is a very popular honeymoon destination...

Club34

Yeah, I know. My point is don't stay in a hotel if you're worried about sleeping a bed that a parent might have put a puppy pad on. There are loads of children visiting at any point in time. Puppy Pads are large, very absorbent and more than adequate for a child who might be worn out from a day at the parks not to be awoken by the signal.

that's no reason not to follow the suggestion of the waterproof cover. a suggestion that is more reliable than the pad or could be used in conjunction with the pad. a suggestion, i might add, that the OP put in their own thread title first. i did not start this thread, so ease up. and if you want to go to the "you have no idea what people do in their rooms so don't go to disney" may i share my remote control fetish with the group? :)

Weather_Lady

Since it sounds like all of you will be in the same bed, I think anything less than a single, waterproof mattress cover will create lumps and bumps that might annoy you and your spouse (or just keep you awake, with the worry that they might not provide sufficient coverage in case of an accident), so I'd second the suggestions to throw a padded waterproof mattress cover underneath the bottom sheet -- for your son's comfort and ease of mind, and yours. Since you'll be in a DVC suite, you'll be able to conveniently launder it if it gets soiled. You will have extra sheets provided (intended for use on the foldout sofa, but they should be the right size for the queen-size beds) -- if you need more, just ask housekeeping. (*Tip: If you happen to think of it, I'd suggest removing the mattress cover before the "day 4" housekeeping takes place, or even writing your name on it with a giant Sharpie, just to prevent your housekeeper from accidentally scooping it up with the rest of the bedding. Probably not likely to happen, but that's just how my paranoid mind works...) ;)

Also, having purchased a few waterproof mattress covers for my kids in my time, I know they can be bulky to travel with. If you are flying into WDW and packing space is at a premium, I suggest ordering one from Amazon or the Walmart website, both of which offer several types of queen-sized waterproof mattress covers for less than $20, and having it delivered to your hotel a day or so ahead of time. (Just indicate the name under which your reservation was made, your reservation number and anticipated check-in date on the packing label. The front desk will hold it for you.)

Last edited:

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I believe all Disney beds have waterproof mattress pads
When I called, Steve told me that they have cotton mattress pads, but they aren't waterproof. He also said not to worry, that if the mattress got wet just call and they would switch out the mattress. I told him that was crazy and we would never put someone through that much work when it could so easily be prevented.

EvilQueen-T

I'd get a pack of disposable puppy pads. They're the exact thing you use on people but cheaper. Just put them under the sheet in his area of the bed. Worse case scenario is you have to have the sheets changed but it won't go through to the mattress itself. Or if you're driving or have extra room you could always bring or hit walmart and buy a single size air mattress for him to use.

ninjaprincesst

When my daughter was small and I was nervous about her wetting the bed I called ahead and they can put a waterptoof mattress pad on to protect the mattress and if Disney is no longer going that I have a friend who literally just stick a trash bag under the sheets where her girls are and uses some tape to keep it in place, (no one wants to get up and change mattress in the middle of the night) and I found that in the adult diaper type product section of wal mart they have some pads to go on top of the sheets that have a nice soft top but a plastic bottom so they protect the sheets without being uncomfortable and they have adhesive on the bottom to stick to the sheets so your little ones moving about in his sleep wont have the pad moving all around.. (By the way my daughter never had one accident and I bet your little one won't either)

Last edited:

LongLiveTheKing

Regarding a mattress cover or shower curtain vs puppy/nursing home pads: Do you REALLY want to deal with washing a matress cover or shower curtain (shower curtain is gonna have urine sliding off anyway potentially onto the floor), much less during your trip? The answer is no, you absolutely don't. I lived with an incontinent dog for two years (well she was a decade old dog but only during her last years became incontent in her sleep) to where it was cleaning her kennel at least half of the week, and believe, it is MUCH easier and less gross to just fold up the puppy pads from the corners (or even put them in a plastic bag for the trip to the garbage), bolt to the trash can and throw them away than it is to have to deal with this pee soaked thing you have to wash. The more liberal you are with your use of puppy pads, the less chance there's gonna be any soaking into the hotel room. Puppy pads are also cheap.

Also:

1. Consider double layering the pads. My dog with her tiny bladder sometimes soaked through a layer of them.
2. Buy latex glove for handling soaked pads
3. Try and have your kid go to the bathroom before bed. Less full bladder has a lower chance of going accidently and lowers soak through chance
4. Best case scenerio, you don't ever have to change pads and you prepped anyway.

mmnw

The other thing, we used to do, is if one of you goes to bed much later that person would help our young child use the bathroom one more time. Kind of a dream bathroom stop. That way, a lot can be eliminated and less is running through them during the rest of the night. If you chose to do that, you can go back to your old ways at home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom