Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I think I remember reading some complaints about the portion sizes at Woody's Roundup BBQ, but nothing else.
The only other family-style dining I’ve done at Disney is breakfast at Garden Grill. There the portions are generous and difficult to finish, but not unmanageable.

JIMINYCR

First, it’s a systemic issue. The issue isn’t what I, as an individual, feel about food waste, but what Disney, as a company, is doing to generate that waste.

Second, I did try to prevent unnecessary food being brought to the table when I returned to the Revue. It didn’t work, which is why I was served a whole cake to myself (and not permitted to take the remaining three quarters of it away in a box).
You ask for a solution to the problem of how a first timer can avoid wasted food. I gave you several viable solutions that would work and you don’t consider any of them . You go back to your scenario in which none of my points were used by you. Sorry you were over served and couldn’t get a doggy bag. So now you know what to expect when dining there and you’ll ask for smaller portions.
You apparently want your view to be accepted by all and not consider another alternative.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
You ask for a solution to the problem of how a first timer can avoid wasted food. I gave you several viable solutions that would work and you don’t consider any of them . You go back to your scenario in which none of my points were used by you. Sorry you were over served and couldn’t get a doggy bag. So now you know what to expect when dining there and you’ll ask for smaller portions.
You apparently want your view to be accepted by all and not consider another alternative.
I didn’t create this thread seeking solutions for what I, or other individuals, might do to avoid wasting food. I created this thread to draw attention to unnecessarily wasteful practices on the part of Disney itself. I’ve made that pretty clear.

And even if I were seeking advice, your solutions, as I’ve already pointed out, wouldn’t work. There was no “smaller portion” to be had of the cake; it was either a whole cake to myself or no cake at all. This reinforces my point that the issue lies with Disney for being so extravagantly wasteful in the first place. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of guests to preempt the situation.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I do find it weird that—in a forum where people are generally itching to condemn Disney for pretty much the smallest of real or imagined faults—there is so much pushback against the idea that the company would do well to waste less food. This is a rare issue that would seem to cross generational, cultural, and ideological lines—after all, we’re all told from our youngest years that it’s bad to waste food—yet here we are, almost ten pages later, with people absolutely bristling at the suggestion that unmanageably large portions might instead be reduced to merely generous ones. Seconds would be available to those few who might ask for them; the wait staff in any case make multiple trips to tables to restock drinks. Nothing I’m saying is particularly radical.

Lilofan

I do find it weird that—in a forum where people are generally itching to condemn Disney for pretty much the smallest of real or imagined faults—there is so much pushback against the idea that the company would do well to waste less food. This is a rare issue that would seem to cross generational, cultural, and ideological lines—after all, we’re all told from our youngest years that it’s bad to waste food—yet here we are, almost ten pages later, with people absolutely bristling at the suggestion that unmanageably large portions might instead be reduced to merely generous ones. Seconds would be available to those few who might ask for them; the wait staff in any case make multiple trips to tables to restock drinks. Nothing I’m saying is particularly radical.
Won't work and may upset guests and cast. If served family style smaller portions do you think you are the only one that wants it? If smaller portion bowls get put out by cast , 6 guests at table , the first 2 help themselves to big portions and by the time you get the smaller portions bowls, slim to none food left. Good luck trying to flag down a cast member right away when they are busy serving smaller portions to other tables. Not going to happen.

JIMINYCR

I didn’t create this thread seeking solutions for what I, or other individuals, might do to avoid wasting food. I created this thread to draw attention to unnecessarily wasteful practices on the part of Disney itself. I’ve made that pretty clear.

And even if I were seeking advice, your solutions, as I’ve already pointed out, wouldn’t work. There was no “smaller portion” to be had of the cake; it was either a whole cake to myself or no cake at all. This reinforces my point that the issue lies with Disney for being so extravagantly wasteful in the first place. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of guests to preempt the situation.
Then why ask me how first timers can avoid wasted food.
I agree there is wasted food but your solution of holding portions won’t work. As it is whenever Dis changes anything they get flamed for poor value, altering long held policies and being greedy only looking to increase profits. THATS exactly the response you will get from guests if they cut back portions. Saving food isn’t a priority to guests on vacation. They want full bellies and portions that exceed their outlay of cash. Nothings going to change here.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Then why ask me how first timers can avoid wasted food.
It was a rhetorical question. I think it’s pretty absurd to expect guests to anticipate that a family-style meal they’re experiencing for the first time will generate obscene amounts of waste.

I agree there is wasted food but your solution of holding portions won’t work.
It seems to work at Garden Grill, where the portions are abundant without being anywhere near as overwhelming as they are at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

FWIW, our family are big fans of LTT…of all the meats, the roast pork is the least eaten by us and the pot roast the most popular…when we place our order, we ask our server to please leave off the pork and give us a double portion of pot roast. They have always accommodated our request and it’s our way to cut down on waste. It’s not that we don’t like the pork, we just prefer the pot roast better.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
FWIW, our family are big fans of LTT…of all the meats, the roast pork is the least eaten by us and the pot roast the most popular…when we place our order, we ask our server to please leave off the pork and give us a double portion of pot roast. They have always accommodated our request and it’s our way to cut down on waste. It’s not that we don’t like the pork, we just prefer the pot roast better.
This is a great approach for repeat visits!

lewisc

Hoop is a dinner show. Serving "seconds" at the same time as the first serving is more efficient. Large servings create "value". People who are offended seeing wasted food need to avoid the restaurant.

Food isn't cooked to order. Serving smaller portions would result in the wasted food being leftover in the kitchen rather then at table. Leftover food in the kitchen could theoretically sent to food banks.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Food isn't cooked to order. Serving smaller portions would result in the wasted food being leftover in the kitchen rather then at table. Leftover food in the kitchen could theoretically sent to food banks.
Wouldn't that be preferable to the current arrangement?

People who are offended seeing wasted food need to avoid the restaurant.
Why frame it in these terms? Doesn't everyone dislike seeing food go to waste?

Lilofan

Wouldn't that be preferable to the current arrangement?

Why frame it in these terms? Doesn't everyone dislike seeing food go to waste?
We as a family are aware of food being wasted but it doesn't stop us from being a repeat guest. If you want to talk waste, the garbage dumpsters daily by the supermarket near my gym are overflowing with discarded food , bread etc. I've seen the local homeless daily going dumpster diving . Even with that the homeless still panhandle at the traffic lights so they can buy their beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets at the Shell gas station where I get gas.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
If you want to talk waste, the garbage dumpsters daily by the supermarket near my gym are overflowing with discarded food , bread etc. I've seen the local homeless daily going dumpster diving . Even with that the homeless still panhandle at the traffic lights so they can buy their beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets at the Shell gas station where I get gas.
If I wanted to talk waste as a larger phenomenon, I wouldn't do so here, in the dining subforum of a Disney fansite.

Yes, I know there is plenty of waste outside Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue. That doesn't change my point.

_caleb

The food issue is just one example of the consumerist mentality. “Give me more than I could possibly use because it makes me feel like I’m getting my money’s worth.”

MissingDisney

If I wanted to talk waste as a larger phenomenon, I wouldn't do so here, in the dining subforum of a Disney fansite.

Yes, I know there is plenty of waste outside Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue. That doesn't change my point.
What exactly are you wanting here? People to agree with you? Boycott HDD? Boycott Disney because they waste food? Maybe I'm missing something. People have provided examples how it's an issue across-the-board at restaurants and grocery stores but you keep coming back to Disney. What's the point? They waste food. We get it. If you want to order less go for it. We eat all they bring us and then some for my kids so we don't have this issue. HDD is probably a fraction of what gets tossed every night from all the buffets. But if show up for a late seating at a buffet location and the bins are empty because they don't want any waste, that's gonna be an issue too.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
What exactly are you wanting here? People to agree with you? Boycott HDD? Boycott Disney because they waste food?
No. I wanted to highlight an issue and hear people’s thoughts on it. Both of those aims have been fulfilled.

Do you expect me to remain silent when I disagree with what others post here?

People have provided examples how it's an issue across-the-board at restaurants and grocery stores but you keep coming back to Disney.
It’s strange you would fault me for this in a subforum devoted to WDW dining.

This is a thread about Hoop-Dee-Doo specifically. I created it because I experienced a level of waste there that I, personally, have never seen at any other Disney dining experience. If you or others want to discuss the problem of waste more generally, feel free to create new threads in the relevant (sub)forums.

Last edited:

lewisc

Huge portions. A few are complaining about waste. Isn't a bigger issue the amount of food being consumed rather then focusing on food not being consumed (wasted,)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom