Was the 1996-97 Pink Cake Castle partly inspired by Tim Burton's "Batman"?

FettFan

Original Poster
I'm watching Batman right now...and towards the end, the Joker hijacks Gotham City's 200th Birthday parade, which includes him riding on a float shaped like a giant pink birthday cake.
1344636699_NewPicture12.jpg

Which...might seem familiar if you visited WDW during it's 25th Birthday celebration...
25cake.jpg

Other than the obvious pink-and-white color scheme....you also have the candle lightposts with a blue-and-white color scheme, and the giant numbers out front signifying the age.

So...was this just a coincidence? Or did someone at WDI watch Batman before sitting down to the drawing board?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'm watching Batman right now...and towards the end, the Joker hijacks Gotham City's 200th Birthday parade, which includes him riding on a float shaped like a giant pink birthday cake.

Which...might seem familiar if you visited WDW during it's 25th Birthday celebration...
25cake.jpg

Other than the obvious pink-and-white color scheme....you also have the candle lightposts with a blue-and-white color scheme, and the giant numbers out front signifying the age.

So...was this just a coincidence? Or did someone at WDI watch Batman before sitting down to the drawing board?
Hideous. IMO - a million times worse than the wand and BAH combined!

epcotisbest

25cake.jpg

No.

epcotisbest

I love the Cake Castle! Had the honor of seeing it in person and was in total awe. I believe one of Dinsey's best moments! It's a shame so many people hated it.
I agree. We were awed by it as well. Of course, I had seen the castle many times before and after the pink cake. Some people who only went once and did not see the actual castle in all its glory I'm sure could have been disappointed.

mouse_luv

So when you first walked up main street and saw the pink castle cake, what about it was hideous?
It was gawdy and I didn't like it. Then again, I'm more of a purist when it comes to design. Although, I must say I did like when the castle was decorated to celebrate DLR's 50th.

epcotisbest

It was gawdy and I didn't like it. Then again, I'm more of a purist when it comes to design. Although, I must say I did like when the castle was decorated to celebrate DLR's 50th.
See, I had just the opposite reaction. I thought it was a nice change and something different. Of course, I am sitting here wearing a tie that many would consider quite gaudy, yet I love it.

Reade's Dad

I think it was the fakeness of it that people hate...that it kind of resembles a spacewalk.
20120108737pmbirthday-cake-bounce-house.jpg

Had the overlay looked like an actual, professional cake, it would have probably been better received.
6a0120a5924ef0970b019103246084970c-pi
Sorry that doesn't look like a cake...it looks like a cake decorated to resemble a castle , where as the Disney castle looks like a candy cake

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom