Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 36
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 34

FerretAfros

I think in the early concept art that Herb Ryman did it was called World of Tomorrow.
That's correct. The well-known early concept art that is used in the image on the cover of the board game calls it "Land of Tomorrow" (for some reason, I also had "World of Tomorrow" stuck in my memory, but this says Land)
77033bfd591e3772b827c29158521229.jpg

However, other early Herb Ryman art also uses the Tomorrow Land name that became permanent
twahub.jpg

At the very latest, by the time that the Disneyland TV show debuted on October 27, 1954 they had settled on the single-word Tomorrowland, which was referenced in the show's opening sequence. "True Life" had also been dropped from the name of Adventureland by that point, despite appearing in many early images. I've never seen any evidence of either land's early name making it into the park

The board game appears to have been developed before the park actually opened, which could explain the discrepancy. However, given that it lists Davy Crockett before Mickey Mouse, it can be assumed that the cover wasn't made until early/mid-1955, his episodes of the TV show didn't begin to air until December 1954, despite his huge popularity by the park's opening

lazyboy97o

That's correct. The well-known early concept art that is used in the image on the cover of the board game calls it "Land of Tomorrow" (for some reason, I also had "World of Tomorrow" stuck in my memory, but this says Land)
World of Tomorrow is the name used on the first overview sketch that Herb Ryman drew. So it went World of Tomorrow, Land of Tomorrow, Tomorrow Land and then finally Tomorrowland.

George Lucas on a Bench

I wish I could have gone. It depresses me sometimes, thinking about it and watching the YouTube videos of what I was never able to experience. It looked like a great attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom