Was I Dreaming This?

golenium

Original Poster
Maybe I totally fabricated this in my mind, but perhaps somebody else can back me up here. When I went to EPCOT Center in 1989, I distinctly remember my aunt making reservations for somewhere in World Showcase over a video phone either near or possibly under Spaceship Earth. I swear I saw a woman on a video screen taking the reservation and I thought it was the coolest thing ever! Did this really happen or did I imagine the whole thing? Help me out here :brick:

CoffeeJedi

i remember that too! i'm 99 percent sure that you're right, and it was in the Spaceship Earth post show, but it could have been in Communicore.

rainfully

The video screens were on the left of SSE as you're entering. And yes, you absolutely used them to make your dining reservations. You can still see where they used to be, there's a planter or two blocking it off.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Rainfully hit the nail right on the head. I can remember when I was younger being there and my mom making dinner reservations. If I remember correctly it was somewhat difficult as there was a good amount of guest activity in the area. Kinda noisy.:wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This was the WorldKey Information system, located in Earthstation (directly behind Spaceship Earth - what later became the Global Neighborhood)

There was also a WorldKey satellite on the main walkway to World Showcase (virtually under the Monorial beam) and also outside of Germany on the promonade and to the east of Ports of Entry, by the lagoon boat dock (each satellite had several screens, Earthstation had 10)

You could use the systems touchscreen for information and short videos of any of EPCOT Centers attractions or shows, or talk one to one via an early videophone system with a CM (host or hostess) to ask specific questions or to book a table.

ArielBelle

So what happened to this system? I remember it as a kid..and it was so amazing (I think the technology still is pretty cool, it's not like we all use videophones like the Jetsons..) I think until the technology is actually utilized, it would have been something cool to keep.

ballewclan

Why was it taken out? And that seems pretty unique and amazing considering it was 1989! I would be fascinated by it now too! Where is this type of stuff today?

speck76

ballewclan said:
Why was it taken out? And that seems pretty unique and amazing considering it was 1989! I would be fascinated by it now too! Where is this type of stuff today?

because now most people reserve dining over the phone, before they arrive to WDW....back in the day, most. if not all reservations were made on the day of the meal, from inside the park.

Kwit35

I used to think that was so cool too. I didn't even realize it was gone, I just thought they had moved it and I couldn't find it. Oh, well.
I used to think the same thing about Horizons. Maybe it is still at Epcot, they just moved it and I can't find it.

Teenchy

speck76 said:
because now most people reserve dining over the phone, before they arrive to WDW....back in the day, most. if not all reservations were made on the day of the meal, from inside the park.

Besides this important reason. I also remember alot of people going up to them and "Playing" with them. They would get a live person and then almost be shocked and just walk away. I'm sure this happen more times than you can imagine.

Horizons1

speck76 said:
none that are available....they are blocked off and covered up

Oh ok, I remember the last time I went by guest relations they had them uncovered but had planters sitting in front of them. I thought that was odd but I guess they covered them back up.

GoofyMom2

I remember those.....ah, fond memories

I remember I was there with my mother and she was trying to get a reservation for Coral Reef but we ended up going someplace else, I think Alfredo's in Italy.

When she was done she said something like, "What a nice young man on the screen.". :lol:

OK, are we all showing our age? :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom