Warning to tall or large guests at Universal: they are modifying the seating and seatbelts

Absimilliard

Original Poster
Last April, my friend had warned me they had started to cut down the length of the seatbelts on the Dragon Challenge. I rode and can confirm that yes, the belts are now at least an inch shorter, forcing me and a lot of other guests to the two "Modified" seats so we could ride.

I recently went to Universal Studios Japan and was kicked out of Hollywood Dream (Hyper Coaster) as they claimed the bar was not down far enough. I noticed they had moved the Go/No Go stickers on the lap bar and that was why I could not ride. To give you an idea, I can fit fine (6'3, 270 lbs) on other roller coasters with the same restraints. For those who rode Mako, it use the same lap bar.

Now, my friend was kicked out of Revenge of the Mummy this weekend since they also moved the Go/No Go stickers on the ride. The end result is that riders now require an extra two "clicks" in order to be secure and I can pretty much can say it will be very borderline for me. My friend questioned a team member and turns out all these are "new safety procedures".

What is it with Universal and safety now? Complete paranoia?

21stamps

I'm wondering if the problem might be too many riders weigh a lot more then the ride was designed for. Example let say a roller coaster was designed for 10 people average weight 160. 1600 pounds, of passengers. Years later it's realized that your average is more like 180-190 pounds. Might be enough to push the coaster past what is safe so make the bars belts etc. a little small trying to keep more heavy people off the ride?

Just a thought. The average US weight has been climbing year after year in the last decade.
I actually read a really cool story about a girl who lost over 200lbs and was on a rollercoaster for the first time. She was thrilled- said it was one of her goals. Complete tear jerker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom