Walt finally gets oswald back!

mrtoad

SirNim said:
*Cartman voice*

Ouhh mann... that's totally ahwesome!

I agree, that is pretty cool. I first read about him in a magazine Disney had put out when Mickey turned 60 (It was a one time issue called Mickey is Sixty!). I've always hoped for his return since then, but thinking it would never ever happen.

Pretty cool that it finally did. :)

brkgnews

Mother of Heaven, how cool is this? :D :D :D

Welcome back to the family, Oswald! I guess he is a lucky rabbit, after all.

brkgnews

Ghostbuster626 said:
I want Oswald to replace stich. Oswald's Great Escape!
Oswald's Great Escape ... From Universal :lookaroun.

Here's an extended quote from NBC sports chairman D!ck Ebersol, speaking today on a conference call from Torino, Italy...

"George Bodenheimer wanted to talk to me, he called, he said that he was wrestling with the decision of whether or not to let Al out, that Al had indeed asked out of his deal. One of the things he had to have was something from us. He wasn't going to let him go without something from us, I said, 'fine as long as it's non-financial I will be willing to discuss that with you.'"

"They (ESPN) made a list...We hold the broadcast and cable rights for the next four Ryder Cups and they wanted very much to have the cable rights, the Friday telecast rights...He wanted some rights to increase rights from the Olympics...The odd thing was, on their list they wanted the rights to 'Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.' And I had no idea what that was. So I called George back after I got the paper and I said, 'George come on, what's 'Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?' And he told me this incredible story that Walt's (Disney) first really big production as a cartoonist for the cinema had been 'Oswald the Lucky Rabbit,' before Mickey... Walt lost those rights, those rights fell into the hands of Universal Pictures sometime in the late '40's, and in recent years Disney had made several efforts to get those rights back from us. For family reasons they would like to very much have all of Walt's stuff restored to Disney...Al certainly brought, even though not cash, he brought much more value than Herm Edwards did to the Jets in terms of a 4th round draft pick."

steviej

Nicole said:
What great news. I love the One Man's Dream exhibit at MGM and having Oswald back just feels so right.

oh maybe they'll include oswald in the exhibit now, if he wasn't included before, was oswald included in the exhibit?

mrtoad

I just wanted to mention I am eager to see these when they go on the Treasures tins (I say when as I am sure the will). I am very interested to see what they are like. If any of you have not gotten the "Walt Disney Treasures - Disney Rarities - Celebrated Shorts, 1920s - 1960s" you should before it is taken out of print.

The Alice shorts are very interesting to see. Some are very strange and today would never be put out. An example is there is one where Alice and her companion who is a cat (who looks very much like Felix the Cat) are trying to save dogs from the dog catchers. The dog catchers are taking the dogs to the sausage factory and killing them and making sausages out of them. Yuck...

Anyway, I am eager to see what Oswald shorts were all about.

SirNim

Can you imagine a "Lost Treasures" WDTreasures DVD release?

All the Oswald shorts?

Destino?

And, for kicks and giggles, even though it doesn't qualify as a "lost" treasure, Donald in Mathmagic Land?

Mmm...

Sledge

Account Suspended
Very interesting story. When I first heard Disney got Oswald for Al Michaels I thought it was leading to a joke.

CaliSurfer182

Awesome! I wonder what is in store for him? I mean do you really think a 79-year-old rabbit will be all that happy about coming out of retirement to work again?

Sledge

Account Suspended
Knowing how Disney works I'm sure there will be a year long "Welcome Home" celebration for him once HCoE is over.

Nicole

steviej said:
oh maybe they'll include oswald in the exhibit now, if he wasn't included before, was oswald included in the exhibit?

Oswald is shown and discussed in the movie portion of the exhibit. There may also be a reference to him in the timeline section at the beginning.

brkgnews

I've got to hand it to Iger. He's all about mending fences. Bringing Pixar into the fold, getting Oswald back, etc. Good for him.

Simba1

BRER STITCH said:
Must feel great to be Al Michaels....

Dumped for a cartoon!

:lol:

I'm pretty sure Al wanted to move to NBC to work with John Madden (who has been his partner for the last couple years on MNF.)

netenyahoo

This is very cool news! Jim Hill has an article about this. I guess Iger wants Oswald for the Japanese market, at least at first. Someone earlier had the link to the Japanese merchandise. Now Disney can cash in on Oswald on cell phones, etc. I am sure there will be an Oswald walking around the Japanese parks soon as he is popular there. Can the american parks be far behind? I would think in 2007 there will be the Oswald Disney Treasures DVD. They have to restore them first, so I doubt it could come out this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom