Walt Disney World Museum

artbell2

Original Poster
I was just sitting here thinking about this. It really is a shame that there isn't a massive size Walt Disney World Museum at Disney World. The possibilities would be endless on what you could exhibit there. They could have a restored model of the original Mark IV train. Instead guts of them are outside in the boneyard, if they are still there. Orginial full soundtracks to all extinct attractions. I know the economy has taken it's toll on museums across the country but this would be a no brainer because of the amount of people that WDW draws anyway. It could sit on the property.

Mike

ABigBrassBand

Why would people travel to WDW to see that, though? I mean, it would work, but I would prefer to be riding rides rather than viewing old ones. I'd imagine it could be incorporated, but they could easily put it somewhere else to get tourism there.

sweetpee_1993

The target would be people like me who have fond memories of being in the park(s) over many, many years and enjoyed things that are now long gone. My first trip was in '76. The first I actually remember is more like 1980. That's 30+ years of nostalgia. I think a museum would coincide well with the current 'Let the memories begin' theme because it triggers the nostalgia across multiple generations. For 1st timers it would demonstrate the revisitability of Walt Disney World and get people geared towards coming back again & again so they can look forward to sharing memories with each new generation to come.

I'd love to see something like that. If not as it's own entity, maybe it could be done as a space in each park as Epcot did a couple years ago.

oxodizer

I agree that a museum would be a great idea. Just look at the plethora of websites dedicated to just that: the memory of WDW past. WDW has such a rich cultural meaning and history that it would be a big draw. Matter of fact, why don't they put it in the old Virgin Megastore site? How perfect would that be.

ABigBrassBand

Oh I'm not saying it would not appeal to others, but I'm simply saying that I couldn't see it happening on WDW property...but I suppose it could work, but would have to be incorporated into the parks.

PaisleyMF

I agree that a museum would be a great idea. Just look at the plethora of websites dedicated to just that: the memory of WDW past. WDW has such a rich cultural meaning and history that it would be a big draw. Matter of fact, why don't they put it in the old Virgin Megastore site? How perfect would that be.

I will agree with you and double that, Why The Disney Family Foundation brings part of the Walt Disney Family Museum also, I can see a very very awesome Museum and give a sense of Legacy and wonder to our beloved WDW.

I can see it as Project Tomorrow...

But that's just me.

Skipper Dan

I was just sitting here thinking about this. It really is a shame that there isn't a massive size Walt Disney World Museum at Disney World. The possibilities would be endless on what you could exhibit there. They could have a restored model of the original Mark IV train. Instead guts of them are outside in the boneyard, if they are still there. Orginial full soundtracks to all extinct attractions. I know the economy has taken it's toll on museums across the country but this would be a no brainer because of the amount of people that WDW draws anyway. It could sit on the property.

Mike

I completely agree with you, I think it's a great idea, I never thought about it before. But I'd prefer to have either a larger Walt Disney museum, OR a MAJOR exhibit explaining Walt's original intentions for the word EPCOT, and that the theme park is a homage to that ideal.

MarkTwain

That's a great idea!

janoimagine

Didn't they have a traveling exhibit at one point? I know I saw it at the Smithsonian in DC, as well as our local Henry Ford Museaum. It was great, a lot of old costumes, artwork, ect. but if memory serves it was not unlike what you have in 'One Man's Dream.'

musketeer

I would love something like this. And they kind of already have such a thing, on a very small scale. I consider the exhibit at MGM with all the miniatures of ride concepts to be a museum. I LOVE that attraction.

And yes, there was a traveling museum that was mostly disneyland stuff. When it came to my area, we went to it and it was really neat.

828tnt

i'd LOVE to see it! maybe one of those big empty buildings at dtd...... not sure where else it could fit in?

C&D

Perhaps it might work; I know I would love it. But "One Man's Dream" really doesn't see much traffic so I'm wondering whether a full blown museum would be much more attended.

TheBeatles

As much as I'd like to see that, I wouldn't want to see it permanently.

If it were established for something like the 40th or 50th anniversary, then I'd enjoy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom