Walt Disney World Impressions - A Decade Later

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Hey guys, just got back from a couple of weeks at the World + my first Disney cruise! Yay! :) Needless to say the Disney blues have kicked in, so I figured I'd rekindle the flame with posting my impressions after a decade of absence (was busy checking out the other resorts for a while there ;) ) I'm not one for trip reports, this isn't that, but more a sharing of thoughts through the eyes of someone who has been absent for way too long. Obviously, anyone is welcome to share their opinion and join the discussion as I'm curious to how members here view things. I'll break it down park by park, and then some general comments.

First, Magic Kingdom - the place was exactly as I remembered it, though I'm not sure that's a good thing to say after nearly 15 years of absence. Yes, New Fantasyland was really enjoyable, and Mermaid had me re-riding a few times during the trip, however nothing there left a lasting impression, at least not the way I'd expect an area that was completed in 2014 to do. Also once again the place that occupied Alien Encounter was closed, except this time it's just sitting empty. The latest night show, HEA, was incredible and had me in tears both times I watched it. Pirates now looks a bit awkward, with the Jack AAs standing out for all the wrong reasons along side the 40 year-old ones. A refresh is due to bring the old animatronics up to snuff. HM still has me in awe every single time, as does COP, which looked fantastic.

Epcot - My, my... This place screams retro in all the wrong places, and while the updates are good, they're few and far in between. Test Track fits into Epcot much better now in my opinion, the updated Mission: Space is a welcome breathe of fresh air, as is Soarin' (never got to experience the California film firsthand so my opinion is based just on the new version) but that's where the good stuff ends. Frozen is just wrong in World Showcase and is not impressive enough to dismiss it's placement. Half the pavilions in FW were closed, and what was there seemed so "blah". The Seas, Imagination pavilion and Innoventions are only shells of their former selves, lifeless and screaming for TLC. Sadly the same is true for ROE. I love it, truly, but my travel party said what I couldn't bring myself to say - It just pales compared to the other nighttime offerings. Also, the place is now parade-less (a theme that was consistent with every park unfortunately.) and WS is sorely lacking in interesting activities. My group also got a good nap in with TAA, though I think this one is still worthy.

Studios - Well, I suddenly found myself missing Epcot's retro staleness. This place is inexcusable for a park, and should NOT be offered for one day guests. I was done with the park after riding every ride, visiting the Launch Bay and watching EVERY show intended for my age group (including the Frozen sing-a-long mess of a show) and was done by 4pm. I just can't imagine what it's like for someone who can't do thrill rides, or has seen these shows within the past 5 years. I returned in the evening for Fantasmic! which was lovely as ever (ah, that finale music will always melt my heart). I couldn't bother myself with the Star Wars show. I hear it's good but oh well... The place is already overbearing with Star Wars, more of it just wasn't an option for me. I hope that once the land is fully operational they start shuttering all the smaller offerings and replace them with more movie magic that isn't Skywalker-related.

Animal Kingdom - What a jewel of a place. THIS is what a park should look like after a decade. Last time I was here I entered at 12pm and was done by 4:30. This time? 8am sharp for EMH, and refused to leave till the 21pm closing time and even then, I still wish I had time to explore some more. This park is amazing, and it seems as though the CMs feel it too, as this place was the most 'Disney', in terms of service and upkeep, out of all the parks. Pandora is beautifully integrated, Everest is also a great addition to the park, though to say it's a shame it's not working as intended is an understatement. The park was well maintained and vibes were excellent with the CMs, and even some of the smaller and more dated offerings like ITTBAB still have some life in them. However, it is with Rivers of Light that the place really hit a homerun for me. The music, the lights, the performers, wow. Everything done with subtlety and perfection I haven't seen elsewhere at the resort. A big round of applause for whoever's responsible for this one.

Overall I will first say that, much like in life, the truth about Disney World appears to be somewhere in the middle between team doom-and-gloom and team Pixie-dusters. The resort seems to have the same general upkeep and vibes going for it like it did back in 2003 when I last visited. The smiles were there, and generally my first impression was the best kind you should leave a paying customer with - a great one. However with further inspection, and once the nostalgia settled, I realized it's not a perfect picture. The service ranged from amazing and out-of-this-world - complimentary one-day Park Hoppers anyone? (After simply inquiring about the cost of upgrading my final day's ticket. Thanks again Stephanie if you happen to be here reading this), to downright shameful - characters asking when they go on break in front of guests and ride operators sharing with me how miserable they are today. I hate to make comparisons, but while Universal never offered me a wowing moment like Stephanie did, the overall service was much more consistent and morale seemed higher. This feeling kicked up a notch after just a moment on the Disney cruise. For anyone wondering what the doomers mean when they talk about Disney's service from "back in the day" look no further and book a cruise. This is Walt's Disney right here. EVERY cast member, from room keepers, characters and other entertainers all the way up to the captain of the ship, all of them seem to genuinely WANT you to have a magical day, despite not even once being uttered that sentence. Hellos and good mornings everywhere you turn, and a feeling that anything you wish for this crew will take care of. I wish WDW could make me feel this way again, and no, wishing a happy anniversary since my pin says so is sadly not enough.

So, with that semi-long ramble over... Chime in, I'm curious - Do you agree, disagree? Share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them. :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Disagree. Your point in time for comparison is just that a point and not necessarily the same as others as are your personal tastes for franchises. People and parks change over time. Its a far cry from my first point of reference in 1972, yet decades later I'm still a AP holder. What you fail to take into account are the investments in experiences elsewhere on property which includes places other than the parks.

2007 marked the end of a decade of McDonalds in the park, the removal of the Hand and wand from the Epcot's Spaceship Earth, and the closure of the Wonders of Life pavilion. These was were causes for celebration.

DisneyDoctor

I agree with you. Some parks need some heavy attention, like EPCOT and HS, but I think MK and AK are pretty awesome still. To me, MK is and always will be the place that draws me back. While not a lot has changed recently, it's the nostalgia that brings me back. AK is amazing now. Seriously, love AK and spend multiple days there. Now, EPCOT, on the other hand, needs some serious love. Future World is sad, and WS needs a little attention. I do think that Frozen Ever After is good for WS though. It brings more families in, and hopefully the ride brings them in and they fall in love with the ambiance, history, and culture of WS. Maybe that's too optimistic, but I can dream I suppose. Once all the construction is done at HS, that will be THE new park to visit. Star Wars and Toy Story are going to be amazing and I cannot wait! But, this is concerning to me; once the HS construction is done, EPCOT will likely be the least visited park and be the most "boring" (can't think of a good word for "boring," but I think you know what I mean) park. In my wildest dreams it never seemed that EPCOT would be the least popular park. BUT, big but here, the announcements that have come and are yet to come are promising. Come 2021 and beyond, I think Disney World will be a seriously different place. One worth visiting yearly.

I have to disagree with the OP about the Frozen Sing Along. We went to take a mid-day break and found it to be very entertaining. While the sing-along portion was not our cup of tea, the hosts made the show. They had excellent comedic timing and jokes that entertained everyone. My mid 30's BIL who has never seen Frozen even found it very amusing.

danyoung56

I have to disagree with the OP about the Frozen Sing Along....While the sing-along portion was not our cup of tea, the hosts made the show. They had excellent comedic timing and jokes that entertained everyone.

Same with me the only time I've seen it. I'm not about to sit there and sing with the crowd, but the hosts were extremely funny!

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
I have to disagree with the OP about the Frozen Sing Along. We went to take a mid-day break and found it to be very entertaining. While the sing-along portion was not our cup of tea, the hosts made the show. They had excellent comedic timing and jokes that entertained everyone. My mid 30's BIL who has never seen Frozen even found it very amusing.
I guess that's why, I came in with higher expectations. I went in KNOWING about the hosts, so I had adjusted my expectations accordingly. And while yes, they were funny and charming, I thought the show lacked any ambition besides them. This is Disney's biggest hit since The Lion King, something at least along the lines of FotLK should've been produced, especially for a park that's lacking new significant offerings.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Disagree. Your point in time for comparison is just that a point and not necessarily the same as others as are your personal tastes for franchises. People and parks change over time. Its a far cry from my first point of reference in 1972, yet decades later I'm still a AP holder. What you fail to take into account are the investments in experiences elsewhere on property which includes places other than the parks.

2007 marked the end of a decade of McDonalds in the park, the removal of the Hand and wand from the Epcot's Spaceship Earth, and the closure of the Wonders of Life pavilion. These was were causes for celebration.
Woah, hold your horses there. If you reread my post you'll find that I'm a big fan of a lot of these changes. I find most of Epcot's additions fitting and worthy (Frozen aside), just not enough of them. Heck, my problem was the park feeling stuck in time, which is quite the opposite criticism to opposing change. Same goes for Hollywood Studios, and MK. The investments in places other than the parks are fine, but that shouldn't come in place of park updates, since those are touted as the big "winnies" for a Disney vacation. I'm right there with ya on the detractions though - McDonalds out of the parks, and the removal of the hat and wand were excellent steps in the right directions, and were not missed at all by this poster. :D

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
BUT, big but here, the announcements that have come and are yet to come are promising. Come 2021 and beyond, I think Disney World will be a seriously different place. One worth visiting yearly.
Definitely agree on that, and me and my significant other have already talked in passing about a 50th anniversary visit.

DisneyDoctor

Definitely agree on that, and me and my significant other have already talked in passing about a 50th anniversary visit.
We're (me and SO) are in the same boat. We would like to go before, as we've gone every other year the last couple of years. But, it's tough justifying spending the money to go after little has changed (save for Pandora, of course). We could go see a new place, then had back to the world in 2021.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom