Walt Disney World helps U.S. Mint

trr1

Original Poster
Walt Disney World helps circulate $1 coins
By Leah Zanolla
Oct 10, 2009

Walt Disney World is working with the U.S. Mint on a program to help get one-dollar coins into circulation. Beginning October 18th, Merchandise and Food & Beverage locations in the Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square will be giving back one-dollar coins as change. There are currently several types of dollar coins being circulated by the Mint. It will be interesting to see if this program takes off and is expanded to the rest of the park, or even the rest of the country.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Walt Disney World helps circulate $1 coins
By Leah Zanolla
Oct 10, 2009

Walt Disney World is working with the U.S. Mint on a program to help get one-dollar coins into circulation. Beginning October 18th, Merchandise and Food & Beverage locations in the Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square will be giving back one-dollar coins as change. There are currently several types of dollar coins being circulated by the Mint. It will be interesting to see if this program takes off and is expanded to the rest of the park, or even the rest of the country.
We've had one- and two-dollar coins for some time now. Other than sometimes weighing the pants down a bit too much :lookaroun, they're not so bad.

wdwwdeagle

hmmm.... I wonder how long it will be until machines that turn your penny into a souvenir show up prominently displayed in Liberty Square, and coincidentally accept $1 coins....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
hmmm.... I wonder how long it will be until machines that turn your penny into a souvenir show up prominently displayed in Liberty Square, and coincidentally accept $1 coins....

18 U.S.C. § 333 : US Code - Section 333: Mutilation of national bank obligations
Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or
unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank
bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national
banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal
Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note,
or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined
under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

:lookaroun

Disneyfan1981

Ugh. I hate change...receiving it back in spades will be a pain. I can imagine paying for a $6 item and receiving a $10 and 4 coins.....:(

WDW Vacationer

So Disney has been encouraging criminal activity with its pressed penny machines for years? :shrug:
Yes. Shhh! Its a secret.

sign0006.gif

So... dollar coins?

:lookaroun

DisJosh

Interesting. But I don't need extra change weighin me down when I'm trudging around WDW. Disney will probably benefit from all the extra coinage they pick up off the floor or RnR! Not so bad if they put it towards a good cause. Lol :)

I personally don't like change but a dollar coin is pretty cool.

I bought a pair of jeans at a Hollister store and got back four, 2 dollar bills. It was awesome :D

Disneybird

We've had one- and two-dollar coins for some time now. Other than sometimes weighing the pants down a bit too much :lookaroun, they're not so bad.

Wow, let's think about this. Imagine the guys that like to wear their pants around their thighs instead of their waist already. We may soon see even more of their boxers or briefs in the MK. :eek:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Wow, let's think about this. Imagine the guys that like to wear their pants around their thighs instead of their waist already. We may soon see even more of their boxers or briefs in the MK. :eek:
Or, if they're "commando"... Even more than that! :lookaroun

MissM

So Disney has been encouraging criminal activity with its pressed penny machines for years? :shrug:
No. And there's notices on each and every pressed penny machine telling you why it's within rights. So long as you are pressing the coins for collecting purposes and are not defacing it in such a way as to pass it off fraudulently, you are permitted to use it in whatever manner you wish.

This also explains it:
Is it legal?

The United States Codes under Title 18, Chapter 17, and Section 331, "prohibits the mutilation, diminution and falsification of United States coinage." However, this statute does not prohibit the mutiliation of coins if done without fraudulent intent or use. In other words, YES, it's LEGAL!

From the Department of the Treasury, 31 CFR Part 82, Prohibition on the Exportation, Melting, or Treatment of 5-Cent and One-Cent Coins:

82.2 (1) The exportation in any one shipment of 5-cent coins and one-cent coins having an aggregate face value of not more than $100 that are to be legitimately used as money or for numismatic purposes.
82.2 (2) (b) The prohibition contained in Sec. 82.1 against the treatment of 5-cent coins and one-cent coins shall not apply to the treatment of these coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of the coins.

In other words, as long as elongated coins are used for legitimate numismatic purposes, the prohibition on treating coins (elongating them) does not apply. Collecting, trading and selling elongated coins are legitimate numismatic purposes. No more than 10,000 coins ($100 face value on pennies, 2,000 nickels is $100 face value) may be shipped at one time, assuming they are US coins. Additional protections come in under section 82.2 (2) (b) because novelty, educational, amusement, jewelry and similar purposes apply as well. There cannot be a sole purpose of profiting from the metal content, but since the elongation of the coin is the primary issue whereby the coin may gain additional numismatic value, this won't apply.

As far as $1 coins are concerned...

The United States has minted $1 coins for years. They've also been trying to eliminate $1 paper bills for years because of the cost of printing $1 bills for circulation and the lifespan of said $1 bills is so short, coins make more sense. The problem is that they have yet to decrease the $1 bill printing and haven't encouraged vending machines and retailers to use them, making most people unaware they exist. A huge retailer like Disney would be a great boon to getting people more comfortable with and more familiar with the idea of carrying $1 coins.

As already noted, Canada ONLY has $1 and $2 coins - no bills at all. It's not as big of a deal to use as it might seem. Like anything, it's just getting used to something different.

See this article for more information about how the US Government keeps trying to get more acceptance for the $1 coin: http://www.coinnews.net/2008/08/22/new-us-mint-1-coin-campaign-doomed-to-fail-4344/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom