Walt Disney Family Museum

bradandsarabr

Original Poster
Any one here been to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco? I have a few hours to kill while out west for business in a couple of weeks. Was wondering what people here think.

spock

Any one here been to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco? I have a few hours to kill while out west for business in a couple of weeks. Was wondering what people here think.

I've been once. I thought it was awesome, but I'm a huge Walt Disney fan. It is really well done. It is presented chronologically, so each room goes progressively throughout his life and career. The lobby area is really cool because it is jam packed with different awards that he got throughout his career, including the famous Oscar and 7 little Oscars for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I've seen pictures of that but it was neat getting to see it in real life. The best part of the whole museum in my opinion is the huge Disneyland model toward the end. In fact, the room that that model is in is the coolest part of the whole thing. The only thing I didn't like about the museum is they don't let you take pictures, except in the lobby. Otherwise, I strongly recommend it!!

MKCP 1985

agreed with Spock- I had business in Napa last April and spent 2 hours at the WDFM before heading north. It was awesome and on my next trip am going to give myself an extra hour. Its that good.

They don't allow pictures, or I'd have burned up my memory card in there! :lol:

RozFan

I thought it was really well done but was not too impressed with the staff.
  • Side note: Do you call them CM's? They are not part of the TWDC.

The staff seemed really disinterested in being there and when I asked a question at the gift shop the attendant sighed and said, "I guess I can go look".

WHAAAT??!!??

I did get to meet Diane Disney and Pete Doctor though, which was super cool!:D

TP2000

The Walt Disney Family Museum is amazing. I went for the first time last year and had planned on spending two hours, but ended up spending four hours there. We only left because we wanted to get over to the Legion of Honor for a special exhibit there before they closed.

If you can spend a few hours, it will be well worth it.

Just a word of warning for Disney World fans however... this is a museum dedicated to the timeline of Walt Disney's life. Disneyland is covered extensively, and the Disneyland room even features a massive motorized model of the entire park as it existed in Walt's mind. But Disney World is barely mentioned, except for a brief wall display near the end regarding the "Florida Project" circa 1966. The New York World's Fair gets a bigger mention than Disney World. The museum ends with Walt's death in 1966, and since Disney World didn't open until five years later in '71 it's really not brought up at this fabulous Walt museum.

TP2000

I thought it was really well done but was not too impressed with the staff.
  • Side note: Do you call them CM's? They are not part of the TWDC.

The staff seemed really disinterested in being there and when I asked a question at the gift shop the attendant sighed and said, "I guess I can go look".

They aren't CM's, as the museum has absolutely nothing to do with the Disney Company or specifically Disney's theme park division. Diane Disney Miller has stated she and her husband placed the museum up in Northern California specifically to avoid the SoCal "scene" of Disney owned properties and companies.

The employees at the museum are just that, museum employees. There's an entire industry devoted to hiring and staffing docent, security and customer service positions in big museums. A large city like San Francisco, with many fine museums, would have an entire sub-culture of people and companies that do nothing but staff museum gift shops, ticket booths, exhibit security, etc.

rob0519

The Walt Disney Family Museum is amazing. I went for the first time last year and had planned on spending two hours, but ended up spending four hours there. We only left because we wanted to get over to the Legion of Honor for a special exhibit there before they closed.

If you can spend a few hours, it will be well worth it.

Just a word of warning for Disney World fans however... this is a museum dedicated to the timeline of Walt Disney's life. Disneyland is covered extensively, and the Disneyland room even features a massive motorized model of the entire park as it existed in Walt's mind. But Disney World is barely mentioned, except for a brief wall display near the end regarding the "Florida Project" circa 1966. The New York World's Fair gets a bigger mention than Disney World. The museum ends with Walt's death in 1966, and since Disney World didn't open until five years later in '71 it's really not brought up at this fabulous Walt museum.

We just got back from a trip to the west coast and spent about 3 hours at the museum. It is located on the Presidio, which is an old Army base for those of you that may not know. I will try to put some pictures of the outside of the building up in a photo album when I get some time.

I totally agree that you need to be a fan of Walt Disney, not just WDW to appreciate the exhibits. It was incredible to see how Walt combined people and animation so early in his career. The gift shop has some incredible books, that I wish would be available at WDW as well.

One other warning, the admission fee is $20.00 per adult.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom