Walt Disney board extends Iger's contract as Chairman and CEO through June 2018

BrerJon

I actually think the stuff Iger has done with the parks overall are better than Eisner. A lot of the stuff Eisner has been focusing on is re-doing Eisner's F-up's. Hong Kong Disneyland was a joke when it opened, DCA was a joke when it opened, Walt Disney Studios in France is still kind of a joke, you could even say there was very little to see at DHS when it first opened for the huge crowds it was getting. Then you look at some of the other stuff that was built during the late-Eisner era, such as Dino Rama at DAK, and consider how all the food service around the parks were basically decipated in the 90s/early 2000s in favor of high margin items (which WDW has focused on fixing the past decade).

I think much of this is fair comment.

We talk of Eisner in the shorthand but really should attribute the bulk of the great stuff to Frank Wells as well. The main 'golden age' of Eisner's WDW work, when you had River Country running with Typhoon Lagoon, Discovery Island, Pleasure Island, all the resorts being built, new pavilions, attractions and parks every year etc... was all the Eisner/Wells combo.

After Frank died, lots of Eisner's stuff was cheap and half-hearted, and the slow drift started to the complete lack of interest in quality that we have today.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Some positive spin on this:

Jay and Tom are gone, IMO. They were the clear co-frontrunners to replace a guy who's already had two different retirement dates, and the Board (and Bob) apparently couldn't pick either one of them. Total lack of confidence in the pair of them. They have to see the writing on the wall at this point.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-extends-ceo-bob-igers-737611
Still unresolved is who will replace Iger when he retires in 2018. Sources say, though, that Iger's plan is to name a COO next year and groom the executive for the CEO spot. Disney has been without a COO since Iger was promoted from that spot in 2005.

The likeliest candidates for COO -- and therefore CEO four years from now -- are parks and resorts chairman Thomas Staggs and CFO Jay Rasulo.

BadTigger

I'm so glad those on the internet don't run the company. Disney is MUCH more then a few parks. Since he took over as CEO the stock has increased over 200%. Let's also not forget the sheer amount of intellectual property the company has also been able to purchase, PIXAR, Marvel, LucasArts. While the choices made at the theme park level might not be to everyone's liking the company as a whole is doing a ton better now then it was under Eisner, even in his heyday.

BigTxEars

Wasn't NextGen Rasulo's baby primarily? I know he was long gone by the time the bands hit the fan, but the initial greenlighting and conceptual stuff was all his IIRC, then Staggs just rubberstamped it.

One thing I have learned in management over the years is that timelines don't really matter. If your in the chair when "it" happens or causes an issue it is on you good or bad.

ParentsOf4

I'm so glad those on the internet don't run the company. Disney is MUCH more then a few parks. Since he took over as CEO the stock has increased over 200%. Let's also not forget the sheer amount of intellectual property the company has also been able to purchase, PIXAR, Marvel, LucasArts. While the choices made at the theme park level might not be to everyone's liking the company as a whole is doing a ton better now then it was under Eisner, even in his heyday.
Stating the obvious, this a Walt Disney World fansite, not a The Walt Disney Company fansite. What many here care the most about is Walt Disney World.

Iger has been a strong company CEO. That's great; that's his job.

However, he's been a terrible CEO for Parks & Resorts.

Let's compare one of the most basic business metrics: gross margin.

Excluding Parks & Resorts, Iger's average gross margin has been 25.1%. Compare that to former CEO Michael Eisner's 17.1%.

Conversely, Eisner's Parks & Resort average gross margin was 22.0% vs. Iger's 14.7%.

Iger's "leadership" not only had resulted in fewer additions and much higher prices at Walt Disney World, but his "squeeze every penny from the 'guests'" attitude has actually resulted in a decline in margin.

I'm a fan of Walt Disney World. Outside of Parks & Resorts, I couldn't give a hoot about the rest of the company.

For anyone who is a fan of Disney's theme parks, Iger has been Disney's worst CEO ever.

Last edited:

danv3

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

Meh...an unsourced line in an article? That's not worth any more than my opinion. If the Board (read: Iger) thought Staggs or Rasulo was a strong candidate, they'd have been named successor already.

Last edited:

doctornick

I'm not so sure about that. Paramount probably would have just continued to distribute and market them as they had started with the first Thor and Iron Man and I doubt they would have done a worse, or really different, job at this than Disney.

But would the MCU have been interconnected with different studios owning the different rights? Didn't Disney/Marvel have to reacquire all the various properties that now make up the MCU?

BrerJon

But would the MCU have been interconnected with different studios owning the different rights? Didn't Disney/Marvel have to reacquire all the various properties that now make up the MCU?

Nope Disney only has the rights that Marvel had. The main difference is we may have not had movies like Wolverine 2, or the Spider-Man reboot, if it wasn't for the 'use it or lose it' clauses the licensing studios had; knowing Disney would snap rights up if they had a chance might have made them make more effort to keep them.

Last edited:

MarkTwain

Some positive spin on this:

Jay and Tom are gone, IMO. They were the clear co-frontrunners to replace a guy who's already had two different retirement dates, and the Board (and Bob) apparently couldn't pick either one of them. Total lack of confidence in the pair of them. They have to see the writing on the wall at this point.

This is what I'm suspecting, that Bob Iger's term extensions were really votes of no confidence in either of his proposed alternatives, or at least signs of doubt that anyone else will do better. I'm wondering/hoping we'll hear of some new names at some point, instead of the two that keep getting repeated by the press.

BrerJon

This is what I'm suspecting, that Bob Iger's term extensions were really votes of no confidence in either of his proposed alternatives, or at least signs of doubt that anyone else will do better. I'm wondering/hoping we'll hear of some new names at some point, instead of the two that keep getting repeated by the press.

Hmmm, interesting. If either one of them moves roles before the end of the year I think that will be a clear sign that that's what has happened.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the boardroom. I wonder what drives the decisions? Despite the public gushing for MyMagic+, maybe the board thought they don't want anyone involved in the MyMagic fiasco getting anywhere near the CEO's chair, and both Staggs and Rasulo have their fingerprints on it.

choco choco

How can people possibly be defending Bob Iger?

Do they realize that in his tenure he has yet to approve a live-action movie that wasn't based on a past franchise or existing property? Do they realize he has mandated that everything in the theme parks (right down to restaurants!) be franchise based? Do they realize he has not allowed his company to create anything of its own this millenium, and instead is only interested in regurgitating things from the past. This is not a man who cares about art. This is not a man interested in creating something of value to the world and the people in it. In fact,this is not even a man who thinks of his customers as people at all.

No, this is a man who thinks of his customers as the dog who has the Pavlovian response to stimuli. He will parade to us a stream of characters, settings, properties, stories and music from our own nostalgia, none of which he helped to create, and he will expect us to drool over them. He is feeding us our own past and we are eating it. He's Hannibal Lector feeding a patient his (the patient's) own brain. It's insulting. The condescension he has for his own audience drips from him like mud off the Swamp Thing.

I get the impression Bob Iger hates theme parks and actively thinks television and movies are beneath him. I get the impression he think the masses are easily gullible and he has snake oil. He certainly doesn't seem to have an artistic bone in his body. And yet people are defending this man to be the lead of an artistic company?

BigTxEars

How can people possibly be defending Bob Iger?

Do they realize that in his tenure he has yet to approve a live-action movie that wasn't based on a past franchise or existing property? Do they realize he has mandated that everything in the theme parks (right down to restaurants!) be franchise based? Do they realize he has not allowed his company to create anything of its own this millenium, and instead is only interested in regurgitating things from the past. This is not a man who cares about art. This is not a man interested in creating something of value to the world and the people in it. In fact,this is not even a man who thinks of his customers as people at all.

No, this is a man who thinks of his customers as the dog who has the Pavlovian response to stimuli. He will parade to us a stream of characters, settings, properties, stories and music from our own nostalgia, none of which he helped to create, and he will expect us to drool over them. He is feeding us our own past and we are eating it. He's Hannibal Lector feeding a patient his (the patient's) own brain. It's insulting. The condescension he has for his own audience drips from him like mud off the Swamp Thing.

I get the impression Bob Iger hates theme parks and actively thinks television and movies are beneath him. I get the impression he think the masses are easily gullible and he has snake oil. He certainly doesn't seem to have an artistic bone in his body. And yet people are defending this man to be the lead of an artistic company?

So not a fan I take it? :)

He kept his job based on his butt kicking stock price performance and growth of the company. I am not so sure it's about defending him really, there is just not many reasons to not keep him around from a business perspective IMO.

Like I said you get the credit or the blame up top, and he has a few successful movies to crow about. :)

I do wish live action Disney movies were better, they have put out some stinkers lately. But animation has been spot on IMO.

BrerJon

No, this is a man who thinks of his customers as the dog who has the Pavlovian response to stimuli. He will parade to us a stream of characters, settings, properties, stories and music from our own nostalgia, none of which he helped to create, and he will expect us to drool over them.

The most pivotal day in recent Disney history was the day Iger watched a parade at Hong Kong and realised the only recent characters the guests adored were from Pixar.

In that Damascene moment, he realised that the future of the company was not struggling to create properties of its own that the public may or may not go for, or in awkward sharing deals that could fall apart, but by buying successful pre-existing franchises that were compatible with Disney values outright, and the stage was set for the next decade of transformation from creative company to IP holding company.

El Grupo

Iger is good for the current stock holders and for the company in general (though there are potential long-term problems). However, it has clearly been demonstrated that Iger is very bad for Parks & resorts, which is the division of The Walt Disney Company we are primarily concerned with here.

Just curious, has Iger been very bad for P & R or is it more an issue with WDW?

The cruise ships appear to be doing quite well. DLR seems to be in much better shape (I frequented Anaheim before and after CA and DTD was added. DL had its challenges, to say the least, for a few years.). My impression is that DLP is slowly recovering. Can't speak for the other parks.

BrerJon

Well Frozen 2 will definitely come out by 2018 then

He'll have Frozen 2, Cars 3, Incredibles 2, Nemo 2, Avengers 3, Star Wars 7 and 8... then add in Shanghai, Avatar and Star Wars Toontown at DLR... By staying on a couple of years longer, Iger is going to be taking credit for a lot of stuff when he finally takes his last paycheck, and no doubt his final bonus will reflect that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom