Walmart food shop help

Mommyk2010

Original Poster
Hi I'm planning a Walmart shop to collect for our two week trip to Disneyworld from the UK this summer with our four young boys.

We are staying off site in a villa so I'm going to be buying food for all our breakfasts and most evening meals. We will only buy counter meals at the parks at lunchtime.

My boys are always hungry so I will be taking snacks along to the parks but finding it hard knowing what will stay fresh in the heat as I'm not used to warm weather here in the UK.

What snacks can you recommend?
Any recommendations for quick American dinners would also be a huge help.
The breakfast isn't a problem as I'm going to stick to cereal and pastries for quickness so we can get to the parks early.

WWWD

If you have a backpack to carry stuff, you could get one of those soft side lunch bag/cooler (they are about the size of a brown lunch sack) and freeze candy bars or energy bars for eating in the parks. Also, you can freeze a couple bottles of water and everything will stay cold for quite awhile.

Weather_Lady

For snacks that stay fresh, I recommend:
1) fresh fruit that doesn't bruise easily -- e.g., apples, oranges
2) granola bars or loose granola packets (Emerald-brand "Breakfast on the Go" packs are a favorite of ours)
3) baby carrots or celery sticks (with hummus, if you like)

For easy meals (assuming you have a full kitchen in your villa, and no aversions to a lot of processed food):
1) Canned (UK translation: tinned) soup with sandwiches -- generally the non-condensed versions (e.g., Campbell's Chunky variety, organic soups in a box) will offer the best quality
2) Boxed (e.g., Kraft macaroni and cheese) or frozen meals (e.g., Bertolli frozen "Classic Meal for 2" pasta dishes, or P.F. Chang's "Home Menu meal for 2" - in bags in the freezer section)
3) Frozen pizzas, flatbreads, chicken nuggets, seafood, waffles, frozen "Steamable" vegetables (can be microwaved right in the bag), applesauce, fresh fruits, etc.

You can also typically find a variety of prepared salads, rotisserie chickens, fried chicken/wings, pizzas, sub sandwiches, vegetable crudite trays, etc. in the deli section, as well as bags of tossed salad "kits" with greens, dressings, etc. included, nearby in the produce section.

Last edited:

Dizmunk

We buy frozen soft pretzels and put them in ziplock sandwich bags in the morning. They are thawed by snack time and cheaper than Mickey pretzels.

WDWDreamer4

Snacks - Applesauce in squeeze pouches, raisins, granola bars, nurti grain fruit bars, animal crackers/gold fish crackers, pringles (chips that come in a can so they don't get smashed)
Dinners - Campbells makes a bunch of skillet and oven sauces that you get the meat/veggies and just add them to cook.
Hamburgers/Hotdogs, Pizza
If there is a crock pot, Campbells also makes crock pot sauces that you just add the meat and veggies - then it cooks all day and is ready when you get back.

WhatJaneSays

(If you're only making a grocery run you may want to consider going to a Publix instead of Walmart.)

Any small snack/single serve size item that isn't candy should keep just fine. Multi packs of Goldfish, potato chips, cheese or peanut butter crackers, and trail mix are easily gotten 'buy one/get one' at many grocery stores. I also recommend freezing juice boxes/pouches or bottled water to keep anything like sandwiches cold; that way when the bigger snack time rolls around everything is still nice and fresh.

As for dinners ... if you have access a grill a good cook out with burgers and hot dogs is always fun. And many grocery stores have great full meal options that are good to pick up. The Publix deli meal is my favorite option; fried chicken, two sides (all the potato salad and baked beans are good) plus Hawaiian roles. It's very American Southern and often it's on sale for $12 or less!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom