Walkway to MK from the GF?

MaryJaneP

Hope I'm wrong, because it would be totally awesome both for GF guests and to approximate a true walk around the world path, but I fear it will never happen. So no,haven't heard a thing.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
No, there's a waterway in the way where they park the barges for the floating night show [the name of which I'm drawing a blank on...]

kap91

Was planned decades ago but never happened. Recently the canal area between the grand fla and MK was being used as the staging area for building the new ferry docks and some mistook it for construction of a bridge to connect the two. I'd never say never but there's not much of an incentive to spend the cash to build the pathway.

stevehousse

Adding a small bridge would cost Disney pennies to build! how many billions did they just report the other day? I'm always shocked they built the entire sidewalks all the way to the canal on both sides and then just nothing???

s&k'smom

Everytime we go on the monorail past that area my husband and I always wish they had that walkway finished. It would be awesome.

kap91

Adding a small bridge would cost Disney pennies to build! how many billions did they just report the other day? I'm always shocked they built the entire sidewalks all the way to the canal on both sides and then just nothing???

A single parking space in your run of the mill parking lot can cost $1000's of dollars. Building a quarter mile path that's attractive, including a drawbridge or other way to cross the canal, electric for lights, drainage, etc. is not going to be cheap. It might not costs multiple millions but it still has to come out of some department's budget. Sure the company as a whole makes billions but it has to be spread across the resources of several movie studios, 6 worldwide resorts, a dozen tv networks, imagineering, the cruise lines, etc. I'm not saying they couldn't do it - only that nothing in a company as large as Disney can just be done on a whim - unless perhaps Iger himself decides it needs doing.

DisneyFreak23

I agree! A nice classy little bridge there would be great and maybe it would divert some of the traffic from the boats and Monorail system.

Jim B

I seem to remember there was a "walk around the World" path going around Bay lake being planned and promoted back in the early 90's. It was tied into the personalized paving bricks offering. It never came to be but I'm not sure exactly why.

MaryJaneP

I seem to remember there was a "walk around the World" path going around Bay lake being planned and promoted back in the early 90's. It was tied into the personalized paving bricks offering. It never came to be but I'm not sure exactly why.

Not sure the "real" reason has ever been or will ever be exactly stated. Since DVC "pays" for itself, it seems possible that selling personalized bricks for a walkway could seriously contribute to the "costs" of building the walkway. Of course, the TTC/CR side has the waterway bridge that stops this from being truly a walk around the world. Also saw some comments that the land between GF and MK was slated for something else (Parking?), was unsuitable for building, needed to be retained as "open space/wetlands", had too much wildlife ("gators"), and was too much of a distance. If they ever "need" another way to transport guests out of MK, the walkway idea may be reviewed. Otherwise, there do not seem to be any plans in the works to make this a reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom