Walking from POR?

meganw1985

Original Poster
My dad and I are in a debate. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside over July 4 weekend. He likes to get up early and go for a walk while everyone is getting ready. Beach Club was awesome for us. Anyway, he says he is going to walk from Riverside to Downtown Disney. I told him there is no way. He said something about getting on the Saratoga Springs nature trail? Somehow through Old Key West? I told him he doesn't know what he's talking about lol. I have looked at it on Google Earth, and can see no way to do it, unless going on the main highway, or through the woods/maintence areas. He argues that there is a trail. I need someone to clear up this bet lol.

jayhawkmickey

If he can just find a way through the hedge across the street from POR the golf course connects right up to the nature trail and goes straight to downtown Disney. Maybe an unmarked path or unofficial grassy gap in the trees. Personally I prefer the boats, but to each their own. Let us know if there's a way across.

RonAnnArbor

There is currently no way to get from POFQ to Old Key West let alone to Saratoga Springs...there used to be a hidden mud path south of POFQ employees would use to cut across the street to OKW, but that is now fenced off with a construction project therein. Walking anywhere on property where no sidewalk is available is strictly prohibited so good luck trying-- security will stop and pick you up, transport you to where you are going, and warn you to stop walking around.

DizneyPryncess

Hmm.Not sure about that one.But the walk down the Sassagoula river to POFQ is one thing I do early in the morning from PORS.That limbers me up for the day ahead.;)

Same here. I loved walking this path each day. My dad is a runner, and he always likes to know ahead of time that a resort will have somewhere for him to run. I suggested PO to him for this reason, since I like the path so much. If your dad wants to do a walk in the morning, I think this would work. This resort itself is such a beautiful place to walk around. :)

slappy magoo

Riverside is in and of itself a fairly big resort. Starting at the main building of Riverside, looping around the marina, then down the Sassagoula River to the parking lot on the far side of POFQ's Building #1, around and back to Riverside's main building again, looks to be a 1.7 mile walk. If that's not enough, he can do it twice.

real mad hatter

Same here. I loved walking this path each day. My dad is a runner, and he always likes to know ahead of time that a resort will have somewhere for him to run. I suggested PO to him for this reason, since I like the path so much. If your dad wants to do a walk in the morning, I think this would work. This resort itself is such a beautiful place to walk around. :)
Hmm.My dad is walking in heaven..Passed away 16 years ago..But I do walk in his foot prints..Ex POW with the Japanese..My hero.;)

meganw1985

Original Poster
My only thought here is .. :confused: do you guys not do enough walking at Disney already :confused:

My sentiments exactly! And it's not so much because he just loves to walk. My dad is an outdoorsy guy. He likes a "challenge". And since he wakes up at the crack of dawn, he thinks he needs something to do. So it's more that he thinks that he has to "go somewhere" instead of sticking around the resort. I picked Riverside with him in mind. The outdoorsy, bayou feel. I am thinking once we get there it will be good enough. At this point, he just wants to because I told him he can't lol.

meganw1985

Original Poster
WDW Security is a private security force, not a law enforcement agency, and does not have jurisdiction over RCID, State of FL, or county public roads.
They may stop when they see someone walking and discourage them from doing it and offer them a ride, but it's more of a courtesy and due to safety concerns.
WDW security is authorized by the RCID to do traffic control, and investigate accidents, they may only issue personnel violation notices to Disney and RCID employees, not the general public. That's handled by the FL State Police, and the Orange and Osceola County Sheriffs Depts.

Good to know that he won't get thrown in Disney jail :)

dopeylover

I agree with everyone I don't think it can be done. However last time we stayed at POR, my husband was training for his police exam and got up every morning to run, so I can promise you there are PLENTY of walking trails in and around POR and POFQ, and they make for a really pretty early morning stroll.

jayhawkmickey

If this is the location you're referring to, I believe you hit the nail right on the head.
It's the southeast corner of RS and it's across from the golf course.
As shown in the photo below, it doesn't appear that it would be much of a problem to cross over safely at that point. Once across, DTD, here you come.
You'll end up at the West Side parking lot, if you don't get lost that is. I'd still opt for the bus.

That's the spot, I agree bus or boat is the way to go once the bet is won.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, there are two ways, neither of which I would recommend. As has been noted, if he can get onto the Golf Course, that will connect him with OKW and SS, and from there, yes, he can walk the whole way.

Show him on Google Maps how far SS is from POR...he may not realize it.

The other, more advisable way (as opposed to trying to sneak onto a golf course, which, I can't tell from Google Maps if it's fenced off or not), is to walk down to POFQ, then along Bonnet Parkway and then cut over on DVC Way to get to Old Key West. Cut through OKW and then SS.

He'd be looking at about a 3 mile walk.

The problem with this is that not to many Disney roads have sidewalks...and I'm not too sure I'd want to be walking along in the grass along the roadside in what is still essentially swampland.

But, if your bet is "can he do it"? The answer is...yes.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Google Earth...yep it could be done ...following the golf trails which then turns into part of the nature trail which will dump you out into the West Side parking lot.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Riverside is in and of itself a fairly big resort. Starting at the main building of Riverside, looping around the marina, then down the Sassagoula River to the parking lot on the far side of POFQ's Building #1, around and back to Riverside's main building again, looks to be a 1.7 mile walk. If that's not enough, he can do it twice.

We have done this loop frequently at night. It is a lovely walk.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't understand why he would have to "sneak" into the golf course?
I wouldn't advise a route that in any way involves walking on or crossing Bonnet Creek Pkwy. or DVC Way.

Well, golf courses are not generally considered "public" thoroughfares. And, as I said, from Google Maps, it's very hard to tell if there are fences in those trees.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I understand why you would think that, but, hey, this is friendly WDW.
I've had to visit some of the WDW golf courses for various reasons, and did notice how accessible they are.
Also, having driven by that exact spot at RS, probably 1000 times, I'm 99% sure that it's not fenced in.

Oh yes, I'm sure you've been by there far more than me! (which is zero times, and I remember who you are, as now I know what a J-Code is!).

If it's not fenced, seems like an easy stroll. And, as I stated in my first post, I just said it COULD be done, but I really wouldn't want to walk those roads at Disney with no sidewalks. Just a BAD idea, completely agreed.

meganw1985

Original Poster
Yes, I think at this point it's just proving me wrong! Lol. Once I really looked at it on google earth, I think he could maybe go through the golf course easiest. It's just that won't someone stop some guy without clubs? Haha. He doesn't care how far it is, but I think he will care that it will be 100 degrees.

jkl2000

Here's another one: how about walking from POFQ to Epcot? That looks pretty doable. There's even a road called Overpass Road that goes from Bonnet Creek Parkway right into Epcot. But can you actually get INTO Epcot going that way? According to Google Maps this walk is only about 25 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom