Wait times at FastPass+ (January 2016)

Hello!
We will be going to WDW from January 8th-13th, 2016. I was curious to know if that during this time we will actually need to use our FastPasses+? What would the typical wait time for rides that are more popular be during this timeframe?
For example, what is the wait time for Tower of Terror? Expedition Everest? Space Mountain? And other very popular rides?

I see that we are going during Marathon weekend, which is a concern. Will we face a more than 30 minute wait time on popular rides during our visit?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Hello!
We will be going to WDW from January 8th-13th, 2016. I was curious to know if that during this time we will actually need to use our FastPasses+? What would the typical wait time for rides that are more popular be during this timeframe?
For example, what is the wait time for Tower of Terror? Expedition Everest? Space Mountain? And other very popular rides?

I see that we are going during Marathon weekend, which is a concern. Will we face a more than 30 minute wait time on popular rides during our visit?
FP+ is recommended for popular rides/shows/meet and greets anytime of year! We always go at slower times and waits for popular rides like 7DMT, Soaring , TSMM, Test Track, A&E meet and greet and many more popular rides etc can still exceed 60 -90 min! Also that is marathon weekend so it is pretty busy that particular weekend in January. You may see some with less waits but I would not take that chance and would book FP+ regardless. You don't have to use them and won't lose anything if you don't. Also with it you may walk right on. Why wait 30 min if you don't have to. :)

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
FP+ is recommended for popular rides/shows/meet and greets anytime of year! We always go at slower times and waits for popular rides like 7DMT, Soaring , TSMM, Test Track, A&E meet and greet and many more popular rides etc can still exceed 60 -90 min! Also that is marathon weekend so it is pretty busy that particular weekend in January. :)
Thank you so much for your reply! This Marathon weekend thing has got me nervous. It's my first time back at Disney in over 10+ years and it's the first time for my SO, so I'm worried our 5 days in the parks won't be enough because of long wait times. I will definitely make FastPass+ reservations as soon as I'm able. I find it odd that I can make dining reservations mid-July, but that Disney reps are telling me vacation packages won't be released until August...makes no sense!:banghead:

Upvote 0

lyssehm

I would definitely go ahead and schedule them. If the wait is short and you don't need them, you can always change them to something else while you are in the park. Better safe than sorry (and in a long line).

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
I guess another question I have about the wait times...so if it's 60-90 minutes just to meet Anna & Elsa, I have to stand there for an hour or longer just to meet them?! Or can I get a 'ticket' for my place in line and then go back in an hour? Just thinking about standing in line for an hour when I could be doing so many other things...ick!

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
I would definitely go ahead and schedule them. If the wait is short and you don't need them, you can always change them to something else while you are in the park. Better safe than sorry (and in a long line).
So I can't schedule them until like October though, right? I can't even book my vacation package yet because they haven't released them yet :hungover:

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Thank you so much for your reply! This Marathon weekend thing has got me nervous. It's my first time back at Disney in over 10+ years and it's the first time for my SO, so I'm worried our 5 days in the parks won't be enough because of long wait times. I will definitely make FastPass+ reservations as soon as I'm able. I find it odd that I can make dining reservations mid-July, but that Disney reps are telling me vacation packages won't be released until August...makes no sense!:banghead:
Even if you have no wait times 5 days is no where near enough anyway so just either way be prepared to not do all you want to do And you will not be dissapointed. Also the park hours are shorter in the fall/winter so be prepared for that as well. So I stress using FP+ as it will save you time like I mentioned even if waits are short with FP+ It will be even shorter so you can get more done than not using FP+. We always stay over 10 days and it's still never enough time to get everything in. That's why we go almost every year! Haha Don't stress, use FP+, take advantage of especially evening EMH as the rides have shorter waits later into
the night etc. You will have a wonderful time! :)

Upvote 0

lyssehm

I think it is 60 days before your trip. But if you do it as soon as you're able, you'll likely have great times and picks available.

I guess another question I have about the wait times...so if it's 60-90 minutes just to meet Anna & Elsa, I have to stand there for an hour or longer just to meet them?! Or can I get a 'ticket' for my place in line and then go back in an hour? Just thinking about standing in line for an hour when I could be doing so many other things...ick!

I'd suggest fastpassing that if you really want to meet them. The "ticket" to go back is usually what they do for people who are unable to wait in lines for whatever reason. You could also just get in that line first thing in the morning, but there would still be a little wait. It is REALLY popular and people run to get there.

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Even if you have no wait times 5 days is no where near enough anyway so just either way be prepared to not do all you want to do And you will not be dissapointed. Also the park hours are shorter in the fall/winter so be prepared for that as well. So I stress using FP+ as it will save you time like I mentioned even if waits are short with FP+ It will be even shorter so you can get more done than not using FP+. We always stay over 10 days and it's still never enough time to get everything in. That's why we go almost every year! Haha Don't stress, use FP+, take advantage of especially evening EMH as the rides have shorter waits later into
the night etc. You will have a wonderful time! :)
I kept pushing for 8 days minimum, but the family said they'd get sick of each other before then :p
I will definitely be using FP+ now, thank you!

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
I think it is 60 days before your trip. But if you do it as soon as you're able, you'll likely have great times and picks available.

I'd suggest fastpassing that if you really want to meet them. The "ticket" to go back is usually what they do for people who are unable to wait in lines for whatever reason. You could also just get in that line first thing in the morning, but there would still be a little wait. It is REALLY popular and people run to get there.
I have convinced my SO we have to meet them, so it looks like we'll be using a FP+ now to get to them. It's so crazy how long people are willing to wait! It just blows my mind. I'm not impatient...but I don't think I could do it like some can. I can just imagine myself first thing in the morning running through MK as soon as it opens to find A&E. I don't have the energy, haha.

Upvote 0

LWB

? I can't even book my vacation package yet because they haven't released them yet :hungover:

You can't book a package yet, but you can book a room-only reservation right now. That way you've got a reservation on property when your 180 day window opens up. Then whenever the packages are released, have your room-only reservation changed over to a package. We were there in January this year for the marathon and that's what I needed to do to be able to book my dining at 180 days. If I had waited for a package, I would have missed a lot of the dining I wanted because it was well after 180 days when the packages were released!

I would definitely recommend using the FP+ even in January!!! We saw many reasonable lines and didn't wait near as long as we have visiting the parks at other times of the year - but - you would still see crazy long lines for things like A&E, mine train etc. It's worth it to use the FP+ even if it makes a 15 minute line non-existent! Any less time that I have to spend in line is appreciated.

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
You can't book a package yet, but you can book a room-only reservation right now. That way you've got a reservation on property when your 180 day window opens up. Then whenever the packages are released, have your room-only reservation changed over to a package. We were there in January this year for the marathon and that's what I needed to do to be able to book my dining at 180 days. If I had waited for a package, I would have missed a lot of the dining I wanted because it was well after 180 days when the packages were released!

I would definitely recommend using the FP+ even in January!!! We saw many reasonable lines and didn't wait near as long as we have visiting the parks at other times of the year - but - you would still see crazy long lines for things like A&E, mine train etc. It's worth it to use the FP+ even if it makes a 15 minute line non-existent! Any less time that I have to spend in line is appreciated.

Unfortunately we were told that we would just have to cancel the room reservations when the packages are released, so it was pointless because we'd get a new booking number and have to re-book everything. I talked to about 5 different Disney cast members about this and they sadly all said the same thing ):

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Unfortunately we were told that we would just have to cancel the room reservations when the packages are released, so it was pointless because we'd get a new booking number and have to re-book everything. I talked to about 5 different Disney cast members about this and they sadly all said the same thing ):
Even if you have a new room reservation number after its changed to a package that does not effect your dining reservations at all. Once they are made they will never get canceled as they are not tied specifically to your room reservation number. The only reason your room has anything to do with it is to know your staying on property so you can book 180+ 10 when you hit the 180 day mark.
So if that is what she told you, she miss informed you. You frankly could have a room booked just to book dining 180+10 and then several days later cancel the room and it would not affect the dining reservations you made at all because they are not tied to each other in any way. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom