• #14 Main Street USA

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • #15 DonickCo

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel

You know, I'm not a part of this contest and don't claim to know anything about creating anything remotely similar to the work here, but this is supposed to be fun. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone here is here because they were chosen to be here. Maybe one entry isn't to your particular liking, but that is NO reason to say one entry is any less deserving to win than another - that's just your personal opinion. To come right out and say any one entry is less deserving over another to win is just downright rude in my opinion.

Criticism is a good thing when it's warranted, but there is no need for anyone to come out and say one entry is more or less deserving than another. It's all a matter of personal opinion. If you don't agree with the way an entry is presented, that's fine, but that's YOUR opinion.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, so ignore me if you'd like to. But, just because something is unique and different, doesn't make it "wrong". If everything was always based on the same idea, how boring would that be?

I'm going to keep my vote to myself, but I do want to say that I voted BEFORE reading any of this.

Sorry guys. Normally I don't like to get involved in this, but it just bothered me.

Wilson

Come on now, let's not let this get out of control. This is supposed to be fun. We all put our work out there and the "masses" (or the 40 of us) have spoken. It's no big deal. There's no reason to criticize Mr P for his work, he had an idea and it was well received, and there's no reason to start busting out the copyright laws. Let's just all enjoy this contest for what it is: a friendly competition wherein we can display our works, compare what we have done with what others have done, and maybe show off a little.

Repeat after me: This is fun, this is fun...

DisneyJedi

MrP had a good idea and ran with it. I don't criticize people that have a good idea and act on it. Like others have said, he went "outside the box". Wish I had thought of it. Instead I spent a couple hours sketching my rendition of Space Mt. and using a couple pics that are probably copyright. 85% of my wallpaper was done by me. There was no rule on creating these wallpapers that you could not sketch and scan your own stuff.. much like no one said you had to specifically have a pic of Space Mt in the wallpaper. I don't see a problem with MrP's wallpaper. Original and yummy looking. :)

Honestly I am just happy out of 20+ submissions, some random party chose mine to be one of the 15 for voting. :) This whole wallpaper contest has given me an excuse to be artisitic again (or at least try to be). I'm having fun. Let's not spoil a good thing with destructive criticism.

Tramp

Mr. P is right....maybe the comments could sway potential voters towards or away from a particular photo....I was guilty of using the "essence of Space Mountain" phrase but only how it applied to my feeling, not that it broke a rule...cuz it didn't...if we're gonna be creative, you can't restrict creativity.

I apologize, Mr. P, cuz what I said obviously caused you a degree of angst...you know me..I would never have intentionally done something to create a controversey like this....especially involving YOU.

...maybe the rule we need is ..."just vote...no comments."

...my apologies to all my forum friends for my part in this.

NowInc

Original Poster
Woah...now i wish i didnt sleep last night...

Ooooooook....lets see if I can try and fix this up a tad::

First off...

My only problem with Mr.P's entry is the fact that I didnt think of it first. As I stated in my above post..he has done NOTHING wrong. I never specified that it had to have a pic of the ride in it, and if i recall..there were 2 other entires that had cookies in them. It is because I personally like his entry, and think it does deserve the votes it is getting...that I will NOT remove it from the contest. Call me crazy...maybe its just my "artist" side talking....

Second...

I do not tolerate vote "swaying". Although I dont really see that in being the intent of any of the posts here at the moment, any future attempts will of course be deleted.

Third...

Lets all try and remember (I know some of you already have) that this is a FUN CONTEST. There is no prize awarded...and there is no "shame" if you dont win. If anything, if you lose...it should just make you want to work HARDER next time.

I started this whole thing up because I knew a few of you out there like to show off what you can do, and I figured this was the best way to do it. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can make this whole thing "Smoother"..please...PM me at let me know.

Any other comments made upon the above topics will most likley be ignored or deleted..so please direct all further comments to my PM box..thank you ;)

NowInc

Original Poster
*sigh*

It really shouldnt matter to you WHAT people think..it obviously hasnt swayed any votes AWAY from you. I have no, and never had any problem with your entry. In fact...the neutral party (who still will remain nameless to keep them "out of this") chose your entry FIRST for the selected 15. My "sort of agree" statment was in reference to I see where they are coming from. But as you pointed out, in that SAME post, I commented on your creativity and I *THOUGHT* I made it clear that I had no issues with it. Your entry did not just get in due to an "oversight"...I simply made that comment to show that you didnt go outside of the boundaries in the contest. I even joked with you about it in the original thread. I'm sorry if the posts by the other members bugs you, but you know what...who cares? Dont let it get to you (I know...easier said than done)...find glory in the fact that even with all the "bad publicity" your entry is getting, you are still winning. In fact, I DO hope you win...you "stepped outside the lines" in that good way...showing that you can express a mood for a ride without even using the standard imagry that pretty much everyone else used.

MrPromey

If you are joining us late, my apologies and congratulations. You have missed a bunch of long posts by myself which protest some negative comments that other members have made regarding my entry and the votes that I have received. While you may have missed out on half of the conversation, you can now rest assured that you don't have to regret reading half a dozen of my typically long winded but unusually angry minded posts. If you really want the gossip, you may be able to piece something together out of what others have quoted in their replies.

To put it short and sweet, I would like to request that nobody else vote for me. If you like my wallpaper and want to use it, by all means do so but please consider me to be out of the contest. I have gotten very upset about a contest I wasn't even trying to win and it's really, really not worth it.

To those that voted for me, I extend my apologies. I didn't intend for you to be throwing your votes away and if there were any way for me to give them back I most certainly would because there are many entries in this thread deserving of them.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I must of missed something...yet again...(darn I hate when I do that byGolly)
Kinda a disclaimer & backing myself up here:
Just to clear things up...I hope I did not sway anything, or anyone in anyway..(though thats how politcs are done here in Chi..LOL..er..uh..ehem...movin on) I just stated I like MrP's... and by saying that I did not mean everyones else blew. They are all very good. Sorry If I casued any problems by stating my personal opinions...maybe just plane ol' voting and no comments is the best way to go...if it upsets people.

BSikor

Mr.P, What are you talking about? Speaking as a person who has two degrees from a rather large Art College...you need to realize that critisism will surround any piece of work ever created. They say art is objective. I agree. Beauty and creativity are indeed in the eye of the beholder. Just because there are people who don't feel your piece is deserving, does not mean that you should pull out of the contest. I for one feel that you did a great job. I laughed out loud and shared the picture with as many people I could. It was creative, executed well, and yes captures the essence of space mountain. Who reading this has never looked up at the ride above while waiting in the que and seen the same "chocolate chip cookie" flying by over and over. It's amemory imbedded in your brain. It's a lasting memory. If anyone doens't have that memory or image of space mountain, then they obviously don't pay attention to the details.

Mr. P. you use the space mountian name and image. You captured a moment of the ride just like everyone else. Some chose the cars, or the speed as I did, Some chose the ending of the ride with the robot, etc. Never the less each person chose an image of the ride that they best recall when thinking of Space Mountain. And I applaud your effort.

People are entitled to their opinions. Many will disagree with what I am saying, this country is based off free speech, and if a few people don't care for your work, thats fine, let them feel that way. Did you create a good piece? Yes. Was it creative? Yes. Is it the leading piece? Yes. Congratulations! I think it is totally deserved. You know what...There will be another contest, and someone will try to do just like you. They will push the envelope further and think out of the box as you did, and try as hard as they can to come up with something as creative as yours.

Again, I applaud you Mr. P, and beg you to reconsider. I think every single person that sent in an entry did a wonderful job and should be happy with their work. Each and every on of you captured the essence of the ride and filled the image with creativity. Let's all keep up the good work and remember... Art is objective. One persons garbage is another persons treasure. Just beacause you don't like it, doesn't mean it bad. Its objective. I would just hate for the artist of a great piece of work, not get the credit he deserves.:sohappy:

Main Street USA

Woah!!!! :eek: OK, this is the SECOND time this has happened to me in the past week. My comments in writing apparently have been misunderstood. I in NO way said or meant to say that Mr. Promey's entry was not deserving of votes. Nor was I upset that it was winning. Nor did I intend to sway voting in any other direction.

When generally speaking to a person it is easy to detect what kind of tone and attitude a person has towards a subject. In writing it is much more difficult, and I believe everyone has mistaken my comments for anger or displeasure.

Mr. Promeys entry is deserving of whatever votes it may recieve. Simply because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All I did with my post was state my opinion, saying that I didn't vote for his for a particular reason, that reason being that the ride doesn't appear in it. WHICH IS PERFECTLY FINE. He is well within the rules of the contest, which certainly arent strict, and they aren't strict for a reason. That reason being that IT DOESNT MATTER. This is a fun contest. At least its fun for me, and I don't care if I win. The fun is creating a wallpaper of something Disney. He most definitely created something Disney, and did it well I might add.

Let's all have fun with these contests. That's why they were started to begin with. I wasn't upset when I said I thought that a wallpaper that captured the essence deserved to win. In fact, to many, his wallpaper probably DID capture the essence of Space Mountain. This again was my opinion, and it generaly means nothing. That's why I actually wrote that in the first post. I guess if I don't have anything nice to say then I should just shut my mouth. However, I thought I DID say something nice, when I complimented him on more than one occasion.

Anyway, I know I won't get anymore votes! Everyone hates me now!:hammer:

PS - Ariel, you saying that I was rude is kind of silly. These boards are here so people can state their opinions about a subject we all love. The fact that my opinion differs from yours doesnt mean its rude or wrong. You see, what I have just written in this very paragraph will probably upset you and prompt a response from you in which you state your opinion. My opinion IN NO WAY was to put down Mr. Promeys entry. In fact, I complimented it more than anything when I wrote
how creative and funny it was.

MrPromey

It wasn’t rejection or someone’s opinion that bothered me. I deal with that all day long every day at work. In fact, I’m quite used to reducing the quality of my work to meet the wants (if not needs) of a supervisor or client even when their decisions have no basis in the real world. The criticism and reasons that people (including Main Street) gave for not voting for my entry are all totally valid and I have no complaint about that at all. What I took offense with was the statement “I found it a bit disturbing that it is beating out some of the entries that did indeed use Space Mountain itself. ” because it went beyond saying why one person chose not to vote for my piece and sort of began questioning why others did. To Main Street’s credit, I was already a little unhappy with a similar remark that had been made by someone else in the thread and when I came across his post I was half asleep at work two hours earlier than normal and I may have overreacted more than a bit. I still think that the comment I quoted above which was made in the middle of judging was a poor statement to make under the circumstances.

When I first started working on this contest I was in it to win. I was working with this great picture of space mountain at night that had a green glow off to the left side and some glowing patches off in the distance. Does this picture sound familiar to anyone?.. I was about half done with it when I realized how much it had been used by everyone else so I scraped it and went for the cookie idea as a half joke. I had no plans of trying to win with this one. As a matter of fact, the simple fact that the joke had to be explained to one of our non-American friends made me pretty sure I was in no way a contender. I was just as surprised as anyone else to see people voting for me and to be honest it did make me sort of happy. I understand that people all have their own opinions and if my picture of low fat meteorites flying through space doesn’t do it for somebody that’s fine. What upset me was the fact that mine was the only one ridiculed and ridiculed by more than one person because I chose to do something less literal than most. The fact that this was the first time truly negative comments had appeared in either contest bothered me as well.

While I did think there was a chance that the coments made by Main Street (a well rspected member of the fourm) could possibly have a negative impact on my votes, I knew when I posted my reply which I later removed that I was entering into a catch-22 because I stood to either make people feel sorry for me and thus vote my way or pi$$ people off with my comments and loose votes. Either way, the results of the contest would not be fair to me or anyone else. That is a good part of the reason I asked to be removed. At that point it was more about principal than about winning. I didn’t take any digs at anyone else’s work and I didn’t feel that I was deserving of them myself. It’s a common courtesy that has mostly been observed in all other aspects of these contests. I wanted out because I was winning and after all of this, if I did win, I would in no way feel as though I had earned it. I appreciate the votes that I have gotten, including the ones that have come through after I asked people to stop voting for me but I mean it when I say that I really don’t want to win and I hope everyone can understand why.

Main Street USA

By now I've read that sentence many times and can see how it was indeed poor judgement on my behalf to post such a statement.

I guess the main reason I posted at all is because I assumed you were joking with the entry. That meant a lot of the people who were in it to win were left without votes because of an entry that was not meant to be a winner, as professed by Mr. Promey himself. I can tell by the entries that a lot of people put bigtime effort into their work, then to see them recieve little or no voting, I guess that is what disturbed me. Even so, I regret making the comment not only because of the arguing it has caused, but simply because it was unnecessary and may have caused people to shy away from a quality entry. My apologies to all........

Let us move on............when is the voting over? I can't wait to hear the next subject so I can get started!!!!!!!!!

NowInc

Original Poster
Originally posted by Main Street USA

Let us move on............when is the voting over? I can't wait to hear the next subject so I can get started!!!!!!!!!

Voting ends sat at midnight EST....i expect the next contest to start on monday ;)

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Mr. P., don't leave the contest! You have the creative genius that Walt had. He did different things. And they stood out from the rest. I think you need to stay in this contest! You showed your talent well. Remember, "It's NOT what you do, it's how the public likes it."

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Mr. P.....

Look into my eyes...you're getting sleepy......very sleepy.....

....you will stay in the contest.....and thank fievel for everything........tell him he's the best.......

ok...now awake.....

MrPromey

:rolleyes:

Guys, I appreciate it but please quit. I’m a big boy and this is exactly the kind of thing I didn’t want. Please re-read my last post. It is my hope that there won’t be any long term hard feelings by anyone from this. By fusing over me, you are making this worse for everyone and overshadowing the goal of this contest. I’ve already drawn a lot of attention to myself with my own posts which is part of why I wanted out in the first place. Again, I appreciate it but I’m not looking for anyone to reassure me of anything :)

The_CEO

Hey it looks like your GOING to win... How bad is that...... With all the WDW attractions out there we'll all have a chance.. Dont worry about it.. I mean look at mine... 0 VOTES!!! Im still determined to win! Atleast Once.! Hey I dont think Dan is going to just " pull" you out of this... All though......... If he does he'd be in 1st place right..:D hehe... Whats so bad about winning MR P. ??
~ Justin...

CalDisney

Well I thought everyones was Nice !!
even though I didnt make it this time LOL
I put my vote in for Fievel
I liked the way he showed the different stages of SM being built.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom