Video Of Mr. Potato Head In Action At Dca!!!

dxwwf3

I'm sure when finished, the script will be not only longer, but will work just fine.

Now THIS is something to get excited about as far as the LCI (Living Character Iniative) goes. Personally I have small enough interest in Turtle Talk/Monsters Inc technology that I haven't even seen TT yet (MILF hasn't been open since I've been in the park, but I'm sure I'll see it if nothing else just to be in the Timekeeper building again). But this is very exciting. Sure it isn't a live CM doing the voice work, but who cares? This is a flat out amazing AA and it turned out much better than I had expected. If the actual attraction is half this innovative/exciting, I think I'm going to be in for a big surprise this summer. Up until this point, I have never been that pumped about Toy Story Mania. I am now.

Also unless you were in a rush to be somewhere, HOW COULD YOU WALK AWAY FROM THIS THING after about 30 seconds!?!? My gosh people.

Biff215

So Bird and Robot didn't do this schitck - better - over 20 years ago?

Okay, I never saw Bird and Robot in person, so I went ahead and killed 7 minutes watching the video. Is the presentation similar? Sure. Is the technology similar? Not even close in my opinion.

To say that you would rather see a screen is crazy to me. WDI has put in countless hours and dollars to make this thing a reality, all for something that is designed for us to walk past. Was it the funniest thing I have ever seen? Of course not, yet I didn't expect that either. Was I entertained? Absolutely, by both the amazing technology and the script to be honest.

The best part about this guy is that ours will actually be inside the attraction where most of the queue is like at Buzz. We'll get to enjoy him while we're waiting in that long line. I don't think DCA's will have the same advantage, as he seems to be built outside the attraction where most people will only be entering the queue.

I have to say I'm in agreement with those here who are over some of the constant criticism that is going on lately. Don't like an attraction? Go enjoy something else that you do enjoy. But critiquing an unopened attraction right down to the script of a bonus figure in the queue? That's just going too far in my opinion.

I missed this particular person during their short hiatus the last time, but now I'm missing the peace we had during that hiatus. Go critique the competition in Orlando instead, you'll find better material.

DisneyDellsDude

Looks really cool! I think if we would compare it to something, we would have to do so to the parrot that was outside PotC. I loved that guy, but this is much more entertaining to watch for the brief momemts your in the queue.

the-reason14

No offense, but you are not the be-all-end-all when it comes to deciding if something is funny (and thank goodness for that). Oh, and somehow I don't believe you . . . if it was an animated potato, you'd be complaining about the new direction Disney is taking in entertainment away from the past of AA's or some garbage like that.

Anyway, that thing is amazing! The quality of audio animatronics coming out of WDI these days in mind blowing. The motions are so fluid, it's almost kind of creepy. I love the way they did the eyes, too. Needless to say, the ear thing is cool as well--that's major programming at work. Can you imagine what it was like for the imagineers to design something like this? He's basically a head with arms, but there's so much life in it. Top notch!

I agree.

But yea, that AA looks pretty cool, the script isnt good but IMO its not bad. I mean, its just a test, and they dont do test for no reason. Either way, just makes me that more excited about it.

Skippy_

Mr. Potato head is impressive but his arms look awkward. Not only are they longer than his movie counterpart's but they are also much thicker (probably for mechanical reasons). The striped sleeves look bad, they come out of nowhere like SpongeBob's sleeves, but they are probably there to help cover up the thickness of his arms (although the original concept art for him without the sleeves looks better).

Overall, he's a nice EXTRA! Thats right, he's not even used in their queue, but like the bird that used to be at our Pirates entrance, he's only there to attract guests in.

I still think Toy Story Mania is stupid but DCA's Toy Story Midway Mania fits in way nicer with its surrounding area. The barker just adds to the atmosphere of their midway area while he'll just annoy guests in our queue line.

Overall, I think theirs is more balanced than ours, just like how our Mummy at USF is out of place, while USH's makes more sense. The Orlando versions make up some lame story to help explain why the attractions are located where they are when the only real reason they're there is to help make up development costs for the other parks by ordering 2 of everything.

DisneyAnole

It's been awhile since I saw Toy Story, but does Potatohead take out both of his ears in the movie? Seems like he'd still be able to hear with one ear.

And after he takes out his ear, I wonder if every joke is going to be about "What? I can't hear you"...

That would be a sad bit of one-dimensional comedy for a three-dimensional character.

the-reason14

Mr. Potato head is impressive but his arms look awkward. Not only are they longer than his movie counterpart's but they are also much thicker (probably for mechanical reasons). The striped sleeves look bad, they come out of nowhere like SpongeBob's sleeves, but they are probably there to help cover up the thickness of his arms (although the original concept art for him without the sleeves looks better).

Overall, he's a nice EXTRA! Thats right, he's not even used in their queue, but like the bird that used to be at our Pirates entrance, he's only there to attract guests in.

I still think Toy Story Mania is stupid but DCA's Toy Story Midway Mania fits in way nicer with its surrounding area. The barker just adds to the atmosphere of their midway area while he'll just annoy guests in our queue line.

Overall, I think theirs is more balanced than ours, just like how our Mummy at USF is out of place, while USH's makes more sense. The Orlando versions make up some lame story to help explain why the attractions are located where they are when the only real reason they're there is to help make up development costs for the other parks by ordering 2 of everything.

I cant wait for TSM at mgm, even if it doesnt fit in with the area or theme, which I can kinda see, but Im not too caught up in that. IMO, anything like it is a step in the right direction for a theme park that mainly has shows.

EpcotServo

Please remove the link to the second video in your original post. It has been hijacked and a link to another website has been added. The video belongs to me. I do not mind it being shared, but I do mind that the hijacked copy is being posted here. The correct video is -

Fixed! Sorry, didn't notice that the second one was a ganked video.
:hammer:

Thanks for the great clips by the way!
:wave:

photomatt

Fixed! Sorry, didn't notice that the second one was a ganked video.
:hammer:

Thanks for the great clips by the way!
:wave:

You all are very welcome. I had no idea my little Canon PowerShot could take decent quality video. I will go back during another preview and take more video.

Kuhio

I was a little startled when Mr. Potato Head actually pulled out his ear -- I didn't think he would/could do it. The last two videos really show off the Animatronic movements well -- the entire character is very fluid, but the mouth movements are especially well synched to the speech.

I agree that the dialogue isn't side-splittingly funny, but in-context I think it's fine -- it's meant to be corny but engaging, something that gets the attraction noticed. All in all, these videos have piqued my interest for the attraction, and I'm looking forward to seeing it (the WDW version, in any case) soon.

WDW1974

As someone (the only one?) who has witnessed Potato Head in person, I think this thread proves yet again why the Internet and sites like this will always result in disappointment.

Why do you need to see a small test now? What are you getting out of it? Just another opportunity to take a shot at Disney?

Look, I'm as critcal as can be of the Mouse when he deserves it.

But to view a small snippet of something that isn't ready to be seen by you and start ripping?

All I can say is the AA is amazing, Don Rickles is terrific as always (too bad they couldn't have used the politically incorrect version) and the attraction should be a lot of fun ... in a D-Ticket kind of way.

You guys need to relax and criticize things that deserve it. Not things you haven't even experienced yet.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I criticize because they chose to present it to the public. That makes it fair game. Nothing that unfinished (if that is the case) should have been presented to the public.

Truly talented people don't need a public jury to tell them a joke isn't funny or that an attraction doesn't have the bugs worked out yet.

Pseybert

They could have chosen to have nothing in the queue line or outside of the ride. Would you be complaining then? No. Probably not.

I find it unbelievable that you are critiquing this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom