Very Interesting Info about Partners Statue

BillsFanGabe

Original Poster
I was at WDW from Feb 16th to Feb 21st and while one night when we were at the Polynesian waiting to go eat dinner at Ohana I went over to buy a pin and a man named Hector who works at the photo place next to the pin place and he asked me a question about my Walt Disney pin and then he told me the most interesting thing that I have ever learned about Disney World. Hector at the Polynesian said that he and all of the castmembers received an e-mail a couple of days ago about something that was just discovered about the partners statue at the magic kingdom. Hector said that Walt is pointing towards his brother Roy who is sitting on one of the benches on Main Street and that Walt is directing Mickey with his hand to tell him that he has to move on with the company and go on and work with his brother Roy, after Walt had passed away. This was very informative and quite fascinating to me, I just thought that I would share with everyone. I hope that I have clarified this in the best way, if anyone is still confused just put a post up on the thread and I will be glad to answer your questions, thanks :D.

Lee

Adventurer
Ummm....nice story, and kinda fits.
But, I do believe the story came after the statue, and was made up to fit the situation at MK.

Same statue is at Disneyland but without a Roy to point to, and is generally accepted to depict Walt and Mickey looking to the future.
I guess putting Roy down there gives him something concrete to point at.

Chroniq

It's a really nice story... May become one of Disney legend (like the ring in the haunted mansion cement that wasn't). Though it is just a story, the time lines of the statue installations do not make sense. Partners statue added in 1995.. Roy and Minnie Statue added 1999. As Lee stated, Partners was designed for Disneyland where there is no Roy statue. Though Disney Legend Blaine Gibson did design both. He is still alive and 90 or 91.. Find his e-mail and ask him.

I'm sure many have heard of the urban legend about the obscene image hidden in the partners statue if you look at it the right way. I like your story better though.

jt04

It's a really nice story... May become one of Disney legend (like the ring in the haunted mansion cement that wasn't). Though it is just a story, the time lines of the statue installations do not make sense. Partners statue added in 1995.. Roy and Minnie Statue added 1999. As Lee stated, Partners was designed for Disneyland where there is no Roy statue. Though Disney Legend Blaine Gibson did design both. He is still alive and 90 or 91.. Find his e-mail and ask him.

I'm sure many have heard of the urban legend about the obscene image hidden in the partners statue if you look at it the right way. I like your story better though.

Maybe is was all planned that way a long time ago.:lookaroun

:lol:

Chroniq

Here is a copy from another site, that copied from another site of the 3 stories... Pick your favorite.. I like them all. If I knew which of the three sites that posted this was the original source I would link to them , but I don't so here is the full text.

Story 1
Ever wanted to know what Walt is pointing to...

The "Partners" sculpture in front of Cinderella's castle at the Magic Kingdom is not a "complete" sculpture on its own. It requires the "Sharing the Magic" sculpture up front near the entrance (the one with Roy and Minnie) to be considered complete.

Both sculptures were created by Blaine Gibson. Blaine Gibson was an imagineer for Disney. The first sculpture was created and given to the Magic Kingdom in 1995. He said it was not a finished sculpture. In 1999 (he's getting up there in age so it took him a while to finishe it), the Roy and Minnie sculpture was added to the entrance at the MK and he said it was finished. The story behind the sculptures is that since Roy was never that "approachable" (or not nearly as much as Walt was), he had Minnie move across the bench, holding Roy's hand to make him more approachable. The statue of Walt and Mickey is set in 1966, just before Walt died of Lung Cancer. Walt is holding Mickey's hand telling him he's taken him as far as he can take him and as far as he can go on this journey. But not to worry, Roy and Minnie have saved a seat for you on the bench up front as he points in that direction letting him know it'll be alright.

Story 2

However, the original Partners statue was created for Disneyland at the request of Marty Sklar in 1993; a 'Roy' statue was never added. A copy of the statue was added to Walt Disney World in 1995 and Sharing the Magic (the 'Roy' statue) was added in 1999. There seems to have been no connection between the two statues at the time, so I'm very interested to hear how the story presented here came about.

The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom states the following as regards the Partner's Statue and Sharing the Magic:

Quote:
Walt is rendered as the visionary, in a hero's stance, pointing toward the future and leading the way for his creation, Mickey Mouse. Roy is presented in a more modest posture, sitting on a bench looking rather unassuming and even supporting the hand of Minnie Mouse, who has approached him to make contact. Roy's statue is intended to recognize his willingness to remain somewhat in the background while working so hard to realize Walt's visions.

Story 3
After sending an email to the best contact we could think of, Disney Historian Jim Korkis, we have received an answer. Jim has very kindly granted his permission to quote his email, so I offer you the following:

Quote:
The Partners Statue first appeared at Disneyland. The final design (done by Blaine and John Hench) is to indicate Walt pointing down Main Street as if saying "Mickey, look at all the happy people coming to visit us today". The Roy statue is based on a publicity photo from the opening of Magic Kingdom and is in the exact location where Roy gave the dedication speech. Retroactively, the company has suggested that Walt is now pointing down to Roy to "continue the final dream" of the Epcot concept beginning with the first step, the opening of the Magic Kingdom. That is why Roy is holding Minnie's hand from underneath...he is supporting her hand just as he supported Walt.

I should mention the Imagineering Field Guide story is true on paper (meaning it was really written in that book).

hpyhnt 1000

Interesting stories there! I still like the idea of Walt pointing to Roy so that Mickey can continue into the future, even though the statues probably aren't connected. Still, kinda neat! :)

yankspy

Interesting stories. It seems fitting since most statues you see do have some sort of hidden meaning or a story behind it.

radiohost

I did my internship at WDW in 2006, and at Magic Kingdom.

The official story they tell you during training is that Walt is pointing towards the future, as he had done his entire life. Always looking into the future and never ever being content with what already is.

That was told to our training group when the instructor stopped us in fron of the statue.

Chroniq

This is a family site so I won't elaborate any on it.... Google it if you want to find out.. I apologize for even bringing this up on this thread....

MickeyCrazed

This is a family site so I won't elaborate any on it.... Google it if you want to find out.. I apologize for even bringing this up on this thread....

I'm so twisted, I couldn't wait for a response and already googled it. :lol:

Seems to me people are just looking for things to talk about. Even if I saw the statue from that angle in person, it wouldn't even dawn on me to think about that. The anti-Disney freaks must have pointed this one out.

WDW1974

Interesting story ... but that's all it is largely ... something made up after the fact that people latch onto and it becomes the 'story' a la Master Gracey and Mansion.

The most interesting fact is the original statue was crafted largely because DL had put up a Ferris Wheel in the Hub during a Country Fair seasonal event and adding the statue was WDI's way of insuring that mistake was not repeated.

Also, I have a feeling that neither Walt or Roy would have been very comfortable with the statues to begin with ... but that's just an opinion based on talking to people who knew them.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

TinkRBell427

I see it as, as some have already mentioned, Walt looking to the future. He "said" he wanted the parks to be ever changing and never really complete. I believe Walt has been quoted saying, "Keep moving forward...," something like that anyway. If you have seen Muppets 3-D from DHS, Mickey at the end comes out and says, "Forward," and even in Meet the Robinsons that quote appears at the end of the movie. So short story long, I believe it's Walt saying, "Forward."
Man, I feel like I'm about to write a term paper on the subject.:ROFLOL:

WDWFREAK53

For obscene gesture...look at him from the side (as if you're looking towards Tomorrowland).

I like the "pointing at Roy" story too...because there is only one seat left at the bench, and it's being held for Mickey, because Walt can't join them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom