Value Resorts at Disney...

So... I'm chalking this one up to "lesson learned."

Been to WDW 6 times, stayed on-site 5 of those 6. However, never at a Value Resort.

Don't think I'll do it again. Staying at All Star Music. Nice hotel, wonderful restaurant, great pool. Negatives? Room is very small, but we're hardly in it much, so we cope. Noise. We brought a mini air purifier that hums so we drown most of it out.

Biggest complaint? The BUSSES! How in the WORLD does Disney think that one bus every 15-20 minutes will move the 100's of folks waiting in the All Star lines coming home from parks and DTD??? The bus stops at all 3 VALUE Resorts... Been here 3 days and every bus has been packed and with people left behind. So my $100 a night means packed buses and longer waits?

Can't tell you how many people I heard fussing and complaining. Then again, maybe Disney wins in the end, because the next time these people come - and most WILL come back - they will spend MORE money to stay in a nicer resort.

Hhhmmmm..... Think I have been hoodoo'd.

=-)

irishmom58

It's you and thousands of your closest friends!
We primarily always stay at a value resort, depends on time of year, and crowds. We stayed at Ft Wilderness cabins after Thanksgiving last year and although crowds were down, we got tired of the shuttle to Outpost, then boat to monorail, and monorail to park. Waste too much time on trains and busses.
Head out a little early to get the bus in the morning, and leave the park a little earlier. We've seen all the fireworks a million times over, and would rather beat the crowds back to the hotel.

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

The number of stops is the most important thing: CBR has the most of any resort and Pop has just one.

Strange, one of our best bus service was CBR and Animal Lodge. So far worst was Boardwalk. I've never stayed at a value, wife says that is why she won't go there, but her brother and wife said it's not bad, but I don't think they're doing value anymore since they were bumped up to AKL last trip.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

WDW does not need an Imagineer to manage the buses. They need to utilize the systems that are in place. Put a kiosk at every bus place (parks, resorts, TTC, etc). Run your Magic Band, select destination. The system knows how many people are waiting for a bus and to/from where. The system can route buses accordingly. Its not rocket science. POR and POFQ were my worst experience. At MK they have separate stops. 100+ people in line for POR, 4 people in line for POFQ. 3 buses came and went for POFQ before a POR bus shows up. I hop the 4th bus that comes to POFQ. We get to POFQ, walk to our room, unload, clean up a little, and walk to the lobby area. As we get there, the family in front of us was just getting dropped off. This was 45 minutes later after already waiting 15 minutes watching 4 buses go to the POFQ stop.

If you can't fix the problem with technology, fix it with a DCP kid with a clipboard and walkie talkie.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is it still the case that if you're staying on property, you can drive your car to any resort hotel to park when going to the parks? This would really only apply to Epcot (Y & B, S & D) or MK (Poly, Cont, GF). With the elimination of paper parking passes, not sure if you'd be able to scan your MB at the resort entrance or not.

As for the busses, the only time I've had a problem was on Marathon weekend going to MK around the end of the race..we got dumped at TTC and had to monorail (the ferries were ridiculously crowded) into the park. I also tend to see more busses for Epcot, AK and DHS than I do for MK, so, when going to MK, if I can't get a dedicated bus within 10 min of arriving, I'll grab the first Epcot bus and monorail or bus over to MK.
No. To my knowledge, that has never been the case. Parking at the resorts is only for resort guests and those dining there.

You can however park for free at any of the theme parks when you are staying at a Disney resort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KLinder7

I've seen plenty of complaints of bad bus service at Deluxe resorts. I think it's just the luck of the draw. Sometimes service is great, sometimes its not. We've stayed at Pop, Poly, PORS, POFQ and CBR. The worst was CBR, the best Pop. I think it's expectations, timing and luck. Just my two cents.
Usually haven't had issues with Yacht Club with buses, but this last trip one night three buses for each DTD and EPCOT came before one bus for MK. Otherwise haven't had much issues.

Upvote 0

SAV

There is always an alternative to riding the buses. I always rent a car and I can get where I want, when I want to. No waiting on anyone(except the wife of course).

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

We have stayed at ASMovies, AKL, and several Mods and I have to say, IMO bus issues have more to do with time of year, time of day, and events in the "bubble". We stayed at ASMovies during the TOT 10 miler weekend and we had a longer wait on the race weekend only. The week and weekend after were fine. When we were at CSR for the princess half last month it was the same thing, the weekend was busy but the week and weekend after were fine. As for time of day, anything before 9 am each day had heavier traffic but after that there was always room to get on. That said, we have never been down during spring or summer break and I guarantee you we never will. Its Just too hot to deal with that many people!!!

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Personally, one of the nicest things about a Disney vacation is the fact that I DON'T have to drive and deal with traffic and lost tourists.
Also, you have to go through the parking lot checkpoints, spend time driving around looking for a spot, take the hike from the car to the park, or wait for the boat/monorail at MK your only saving a couple of minutes. Skip the hassel and take the bus.

Upvote 0

DisneyJill

i think every resort has busing pluses and minuses. i've stayed at the beach club before, which is the last stop on the "boardwalk, swan, dolphin, yacht, beach" bus line and it's not ideal. we've gotten off at boardwalk and walked before because it was faster. we waited in a line that stretched practically back to security at MK for POR last spring break--and they were rolling in the double long buses to accommodate. we hopped over to the POFQ line...where there were about 10 people waiting. you just find little tricks and ways to make it less of a headache, but i can see where those tricks would be few and far between at all-stars. you're a bit of a captive audience there.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've experienced bus delays staying at all levels of resorts. The most annoying was the 45 minute wait for a bus to DTD while staying at Saratoga Springs (it was dark and the walkway to DTD closes at dusk). It's a 5 minute bus ride from SSR to DTD - the "We're on our way to Downtown Disney" recorded message doesn't finish before you pull into the bus depot at Marketplace.

I did notice that during a busy holiday weekend when we were staying at the All Stars that there were separate buses to/from the MK for each resort. However, given the size of those 3 resorts and that the large groups - tour groups, cheerleading, pop warner, etc. - usually stay at the All Stars (the cheapest of the Values), Disney really needs separate buses for each resort, especially buses going to MK and EPCOT.

Disney buses are the reason we now like to stay at a MK resort so we have access to either a boat or monorail. But I've had to wait for the next boat sometimes too.

Frankly, I would like to see Disney make the property more pedestrian friendly, i.e., walk to a park close to your resort. It kills me to see the nice walkway along the Lagoon at the MK end, although at a lovely bench and photo opportunity, when Disney could build a small bridge, like the 2 new ones at DTD, over that small inlet in the Lagoon so you could walk, if you wanted, from either Poly or GF to the MK. If some of the resorts have marked walking/running paths like WL or SSR, why not provide guests safe walkways to nearby parks? Then I could eat all the Dole Whips and Mickey ice creams I want and not gain weight. :happy:

Upvote 0

Disney Coco

I have stayed at the value resorts numerous times and I have never had a problem with the busses. I dont think i have ever waited more than 20 minutes.Could be due to time of year and crowd levels, also what time you are heading to the bus station :)

Upvote 0

JamieLee18

I also recently experienced something similar, but had a little different perspective. I found the bus service itself to be tolerable, but it had more to do with the guests on the bus. Yes, we left families behind at the bus stop nearly every time, and nearly every time guests on board couldn't be bothered to give up the seat that was holding their shopping bags, etc. I even witnessed a man willing to let a pregnant woman stand while he enjoyed an empty seat beside him (for the record - someone else gave up their seat, we didn't all let her stand). I just felt that I had the worst experiences with other guests while staying at POP. Anyone else feel that guests are more polite or rude depending on which resort you visit? I've always had fantastic guest interactions while staying at Ft Wilderness.

Upvote 0

Occasional Guest

We have stayed at three Deluxe properties (Wilderness, Poly, AKL), Port Orleans Riverside, and Pop Century. By far, the worst bus service was Port Orleans. It was a factor of the bus always being full by the time it got to our stop so we would have to wait for the next one. We had no problem at Pop Century however returning to Pop Century seemed to be a bit longer of a wait than I have experienced at other resorts. Overall, the time between buses was fairly consistent between the different "levels" of resorts in my opinion. I am only comparing wait times and not people on the buses or how full the buses were. Time of year could also be a factor.

Upvote 0

cat hem

The last time we stayed at BC. If we were taking the bus (especially in the morning) there was a CM there with a radio. Also If several busses to one park show up in a row I've asked the driver to radio for a bus to pick up for whatever park needed a bus. Sometimes it works, never hurts to ask. I've also seen an empty bus show up for a park that no one was waiting for, driver asked where people were going and -poof- like magic changed his sign and off we went!

Upvote 0

DisneyRoy

I stayed at POR my first visit to WDW. And the bus situation was the worst. 4 or 5 stops around the resort before even going to a park. If your room is by the last pickup, the bus is always full so you wind up walking to the front of the resort anyways. And your stop is the last in the evening. And we were only in room to sleep.

So this is why I will NEVER stay at Moderate or Deluxe. We have stayed at Pop every other time and the bus situation is awesome! Only one stop and you don't share with other resorts. Yes you have to contend with more people getting on the bus but they usually pack them in pretty good. And at the busy times of the day, there are usually more buses and we never have had to wait.

At the All Stars you have to share with the other resorts. And that is why I will never stay there. I honestly think that Pop will be where I stay every time from here on out for those reasons.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
The last time we stayed at BC. If we were taking the bus (especially in the morning) there was a CM there with a radio. Also If several busses to one park show up in a row I've asked the driver to radio for a bus to pick up for whatever park needed a bus. Sometimes it works, never hurts to ask. I've also seen an empty bus show up for a park that no one was waiting for, driver asked where people were going and -poof- like magic changed his sign and off we went!

We've had that happen too, an empty bus showing up with no one waiting for that park and the bus driver changes his destination. My annoyance is waiting 30-35 minutes for a bus to either DTD or a park and in that time seeing 2-3 buses each arrive for a park I'm not going to. That's when I wish Disney had phones at the bus stops - other than the Values, since there's only one stop outside the front desk and you can walk and ask them to call - so you can call Disney transportation to see what the problem is. Which brings up the communication issue for Disney transportation. I realize that there can be traffic delays - most common after 4:00 PM for the roads around DTD. Cannot Disney transportation contact resorts and let them know that due to an accident on World Way buses to/from the MK will be delayed? Then the resort could send a CM to a bus stop to inform guests who have been waiting more than 30 minutes. Or send a text, e-mail or put an update on the app.

Upvote 0

GabeP

No. To my knowledge, that has never been the case. Parking at the resorts is only for resort guests and those dining there.

You can however park for free at any of the theme parks when you are staying at a Disney resort.

Well, you could always tell the resort guard you're going to eat at one of those resorts close to the park. Between my experiences in doing it years ago and friends who've gone recently, no one checked to see if I had an ADR/give me some kind of temp pass good for only an hour or 2.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, you could always tell the resort guard you're going to eat at one of those resorts close to the park. Between my experiences in doing it years ago and friends who've gone recently, no one checked to see if I had an ADR/give me some kind of temp pass good for only an hour or 2.

Not sure if the guard at the gate also has a list of guests with an ADR at the resort restaurant. I know they have a list of guests checking in that day and after that, they scan your MB. On the way back home from a Disney cruise, we decided not to wait to eat breakfast on the ship - we were the last seating - but decided to get back to our resort and then drive over to GF to have some of their amazing Citrus pancakes. The guard let both of us in. I followed instructions and parked in the visitor lot. After breakfast, I walked my daughter to her car and then was walking across the street to the visitor's lot. One of the guards at the gate house asked me to stop and show her ID and scan my band. I found it interesting that I was stopped walking across the street, but kinda glad they monitor people coming in to the resorts.

But I did have a guard tell me that they really don't drive around the resort parking lots to make sure all the cars parked there belong to resort guests and not others eating at one of the restaurants or visiting a guest. I was worried since we were leaving our cars and taking the Cruise bus to Port Canaveral and didn't want Disney to tow our cars since the parking "permit" had the dates of our resort stay. And now if you do Direct to Room, unless you get the "permit" from the guard at the gate, there is no packet like you get from the front desk waiting for you in your room. That "permit" is mainly for the folks attending the gates at the parks to know you can park for free as a resort guest.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom