"Value" Resort costs more than Deluxe

ParentsOf4

We are looking into a WDW trip in late July. An Art of Animation suite is $345/night (sleeps 6) while a room at the Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club is $277.50/night (sleeps 5).

I just stayed offsite in a comfortable hotel in a 2-room suite with kitchenette that sleeps up to 6 for $118/night during Easter week.

I realize AoA is offering a suite and sleeps one extra person than a Deluxe Resort room but does anyone else think the AoA price is insane, especially for a so called "Value Resort"?

allgiggles

I wonder if they're already having trouble filling suites at AoA for the summer. I got a PIN on Friday for 15% off from 5/31 - 8/14. Not a huge discount, but I wasn't expecting to see *any* discounts for the first few months the resort is open. :shrug:

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I wonder if they're already having trouble filling suites at AoA for the summer. I got a PIN on Friday for 15% off from 5/31 - 8/14. Not a huge discount, but I wasn't expecting to see *any* discounts for the first few months the resort is open. :shrug:

Was the pin just for AoA, or were other Values resorts included?

Upvote 0

allgiggles

Was the pin just for AoA, or were other Values resorts included?

It was varying discounts for specific resorts. I originally got the PIN about a month ago and it didn't include AoA. Then I got it again on Friday and it had AoA added to it. The line-up is this:

Save 15% at Disney's Art of Animation Resort (openeing May 31, 2012)

Save 20% at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort and Disney's All-Star Music Resort

Save 25% at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, and Disney's Port Orlean's Resort–Riverside

Save 30% at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resort, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard view only), Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, and Disney's Old Key West Resort

This is copied and pasted from the e-mail so the "openeing" is Disney's misspelling, not mine. :)

Wish I could actually use the PIN but we're not planning a trip this year. Hopefully I'll get another one next year.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It was varying discounts for specific resorts. I originally got the PIN about a month ago and it didn't include AoA. Then I got it again on Friday and it had AoA added to it. The line-up is this:

Save 15% at Disney's Art of Animation Resort (openeing May 31, 2012)

Save 20% at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort and Disney's All-Star Music Resort

Save 25% at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, and Disney's Port Orlean's Resort–Riverside

Save 30% at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resort, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (standard view only), Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, and Disney's Old Key West Resort

This is copied and pasted from the e-mail so the "openeing" is Disney's misspelling, not mine. :)

Wish I could actually use the PIN but we're not planning a trip this year. Hopefully I'll get another one next year.

Looks like Disney is trying to cover all of their bases with the discounts. Giving a little break on AoA is a smart way of attracting traffic into all of the resort, and hopefully garnering some good feedback in exchange. I don't think 15% will kill their margin too much. :)

Upvote 0

allgiggles

Looks like Disney is trying to cover all of their bases with the discounts. Giving a little break on AoA is a smart way of attracting traffic into all of the resort, and hopefully garnering some good feedback in exchange. I don't think 15% will kill their margin too much. :)

I'm sure it won't. :) I'm just surprised to see even a token discount there so soon. I wonder if they'll offer it to the general public or only through PINs. I'd still take the discount on a Deluxe that sleeps 5 people rather than a suite at AoA, but if I specifically wanted to stay at AoA, I'd be happy I got *any* discount.

Upvote 0

vjgraham

I just re-read all of this posts, and I didn't see any personal attacks you both mention. As CaptainJackNO pointed out, this is a discussion forum, and differing opinions will come up. As far as I can see, no one is disagreeing with the original poster's main point - that the new suites at AoA on a monetary basis alone seems expensive, or does not seem like a good value. The amount of money someone is willing to pay for any resort room, or the perceived value they see in it is certainly a matter of opinion.

But several of us did point out that the comparison made in the original post is invalid, because of the differences mentioned in the posts. If pointing out flaws in another's argument is considered a personal attack, then any internet discussion forum is not the right choice for you. :shrug:

Can't we all just get along...:) Forums are for expressing one's view and opinions, but I see the original poster's point in feeling like they were being attacked. I read the other posts too and if it was me I would have felt attacked too.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

We've never had problems getting 2 connecting rooms but have been told that, per Disney policy, our rooms have to be connecting because our children are underage. We've never tried booking 2 rooms with 3 or more adults but have heard that, in this situation, Disney will not guarentee 2 connecting rooms.

I may have gotten some different info. I was told that the policy is that there must be an adult in each room even if they are connecting. When I mentioned about people wanting to have a kids and an adults room I thought they were just trying to get around the system.

This is the first I've heard that Disney has a policy of guranteed connecting rooms for small kids. This will help out my friends family a lot. They are staying in May 2 adults and 3 kids - 7 year old twin girls and their 9 year old brother.

I'll get them to call to make sure they get a guaranteed connector - they also decided on 2 rooms as opposed to a suite due to the cost so this will be a big bonus to them.

Upvote 0

allgiggles

I may have gotten some different info. I was told that the policy is that there must be an adult in each room even if they are connecting. When I mentioned about people wanting to have a kids and an adults room I thought they were just trying to get around the system.

This is the first I've heard that Disney has a policy of guranteed connecting rooms for small kids. This will help out my friends family a lot. They are staying in May 2 adults and 3 kids - 7 year old twin girls and their 9 year old brother.

I'll get them to call to make sure they get a guaranteed connector - they also decided on 2 rooms as opposed to a suite due to the cost so this will be a big bonus to them.

I don't think it's an actual "guarantee" but more of a "priority" when assigning connecting rooms. My Disney Travel Agent has always said that Disney will try their hardest to give families with 3 or more minor children connecting rooms if they request them but it's never a guarantee. That being said, we've requested and received connecting rooms on our last 3 trips. And one of those trips, our oldest boys were both over 18 but were listed as "adult children of the family" (or something like that). We're usually there during mid-June so it's already getting quite busy with summer travelers and resorts are very full. But we have always stayed at Pop Century since they have the highest number of connecting rooms -- so that may have helped us.

I have heard of a handful of people not getting connecting rooms even though they had 3 or more children (and many more when there were all adults in the party). Many times they will be able to move you to connecting rooms the next day if you're willing to move.

And as far as the "kids room" and the "adults room", we've always had to have an adult listed on the reservation for each room but once we're in the rooms we put the kids in one room (when there's only 3 of them with us) and my husband and I stay in the other room.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Yep. I am the OP and am having a hard time with a "suite" (basically 2 connected standard size rooms with a kitchette) at a "Value Resort" that sleeps 6 costing more than a Deluxe Resort room that sleeps 5 or 2 rooms at a Moderate Resort that sleeps up to 10.

Yes and no. (in regards to the bolded part above)

While the Family Suites at All Star are exactly that:

32019d1200255596-my-surprise-trip-staying-family-suite-all-starmusic_suite_4.jpg

the Suites at AoA are a completely new design and offer a bit more than just a kitchenette.

Art_of_Animation_Nemo_Floor_Plan.jpg

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Can't we all just get along...:) Forums are for expressing one's view and opinions, but I see the original poster's point in feeling like they were being attacked. I read the other posts too and if it was me I would have felt attacked too.

If everyone agreed on everything, there wouldn't be a need for a discussion forum. ;)

But I stand by my post: there was no attack in most, if not all, of the responses. And pointing out flaws in an argument is not a personal attack. It's debate.

Upvote 0

TurkA77

I stayed at All Star Music back around the time All Star Movies opened. I paid $59/night for Sports, but could have stayed at the new Movies for $79. Granted its only a $20 difference, but its around a 25% difference, which is significant. Same thing happened years later when I stayed at Movies, but could have stayed at POP for more. You can stay in an All Star Music suite for $250, or AoA suite for $350.

My point is in the first year or so, you are going to spend a premium for AoA. Its a new resort and everyone is going to want to stay there including people that would normally stay at moderates and deluxe resorts. Its nothing new in business, its all about supply and demand. The first year or so AoA is going to have a very captive audience with high demand and limited supply. I expect if we revisit this thread in 12-18 months, the price will be more in line with the ASM suites in the $250 range.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Soooo much thin skin...from all sides of this "debate." And to think I had nothing to do with it. :shrug:

FWIW, this debate reads like this to me:

Point: I can't believe a value resort is so much. That's just wrong.
Counterpoint: Well, bear in mind, new resort, suite versus room, supply and demand, discounts will happen eventually after the newness wears off, still cheaper than pretty much any suite on property, "value" is a relative term and what's too much for you is just right for others...
Point: NO! IT'S JUST WRONG!!!
Counterpoint: Uh...
Point: STOP PICKING ON ME!!!
Counterpoint: we're just pointing out that there are reasons why things are the way they...
Point: My God, I've never been so violated!

Aaaand, scene!

The AoA situation reminds me of hot-ticket Broadway shows. At work I'm offered discounted theater tickets, but the hotter the show, the less sweet the "deals" are. Right now, the "deal" for getting tickets for Book of Mormon seems to be: "hey, where else you gonna get tickets for Book of Mormon anytime in the next 2 years?" Before that, that was the same deal for Wicked, though now it's been out long enough that discounts are decent and common.

Now, to be fair, the title of the show is not "VALUE Book of Mormon."

Honestly, I kid because I love, but I found the comments on this message to be extremely polite before people started insisting that they weren't. But it's no big conspiracy - a "Value" on-property is nothing price-wise like a Value off-property, the discounts will come when the demand dies down (unless it never does), there are still cheaper Value suites on-property if you need a value suite and want to stay on-property, as well as other options from connecting rooms to renting DVC points. No reason to be either agog or aghast, any more so than when Toys R Us doesn't discount the hottest new toy or doll or game that's now in limited quantities because demand is far outstripping supply.

If anything, be angry about how WDW could, in all honesty, book most rooms at the sort of "discounted" price they offer in Value season, in promotions for EVERY room, EVERY day, ALL the time. Instead they keep the prices as high as the market will bear (and maybe a little more) because some schmuck that doesn't bother with looking up discount codes will pay it and they have a responsibility to stockholders to maximize profit (or so they always say, perhaps a little better public relations would do more wonders, but hey, what do I know?), and then for the rest of us, there are special promos. Every upscale mall department store does the exact same thing - mark up clothing a ridiculous amount, then discount it 25-50% and make you think you're getting a bargain. "Well, I'd never pay full price for that sweater, but now it's only 40 dollars, so I'll get it." Only now that sweater is now the sweater everyone's wearing, and it's still 80 dollars, and you don't think it's fair because the store's flier always mentions its "unbeatable prices," so what's up with that, even though no other store carries that identical sweater so I can't comparatively shop, it's still not fair...and on and on...

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Soooo much thin skin...from all sides of this "debate." And to think I had nothing to do with it. :shrug:

FWIW, this debate reads like this to me:

Point: I can't believe a value resort is so much. That's just wrong.
Counterpoint: Well, bear in mind, new resort, suite versus room, supply and demand, discounts will happen eventually after the newness wears off, still cheaper than pretty much any suite on property, "value" is a relative term and what's too much for you is just right for others...
Point: NO! IT'S JUST WRONG!!!
Counterpoint: Uh...
Point: STOP PICKING ON ME!!!
Counterpoint: we're just pointing out that there are reasons why things are the way they...
Point: My God, I've never been so violated!

Aaaand, scene!

Ok first of all...that's just damn funny no matter what side of the debate you're on.

Every upscale mall department store does the exact same thing - mark up clothing a ridiculous amount, then discount it 25-50% and make you think you're getting a bargain. "Well, I'd never pay full price for that sweater, but now it's only 40 dollars, so I'll get it." Only now that sweater is now the sweater everyone's wearing, and it's still 80 dollars, and you don't think it's fair because the store's flier always mentions its "unbeatable prices," so what's up with that, even though no other store carries that identical sweater so I can't comparatively shop, it's still not fair...and on and on...

The other retail marketing ploy that is in play here is this one - we want to sell the $200 watch but no one is buying it, they're buying the $75 watch. So let's bring out this watch - it's $1000 - it's pricy but it has more features that other watches in the store. It's a premium watch in a budget watch store, seems out of place but it will appeal to the people who have a "money is no object" desire while still sneaking a peek at the good deals. Now the $200 watch looks like a bargain and the $75 watch looks cheap.

So even though you may find the $1000 watch (AoA suites) expensive there are people that will pay it because the cost is no issue to them. You may instead buy the $200 watch (ASM suite) because now it's not looking like such a bad deal. Even though it's still more expensive than the $75 watch (ASM standard room) you don't feel the need to go "cheap" you just want to feel like you're getting a value.

Now Disney has sold the AoA suite to people who don't care about the cost. The ASM suite to someone who feels like their getting a good value in comparison without being cheap and the ASM standard room to someone who really cannot or will not shell out the extra cash.

The watch store doesn't care how they're sold and may not even expect many people to buy the big ticket item - it was only put there to give shoppers in the budget watch store a big ticket item to compare everything else to. Now you've got budget shoppers checking out big ticket items. The features are all there to support it so it's a tough sell but not impossible and you've created a new shopper - the big ticket/budget minded one.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

What I find disappointing about booking through Disney is that, even when one is advertised, the discounted room rate is not given unless explicitly asked for.

For example, if you book a room directly through the Disney website's home page, Disney presents the full-priced rack rate. In order to get the discount , you have to select one of the other links on the home page (e.g. "Special Offers"). Disney isn't exactly hiding the discount but isn't making it obvious either. A friend (who has never been to WDW) knew of the advertised room-only discount but booked a room at the full-priced rack rate. I showed this to her and she was able to rebook at the discounted rate. She thought Disney was very sneaky. I suspect there have been others who booked at the rack rate even though discounts were available.

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison but, to me, it's like a department store advertising a discount but you receiving the discount only if you remember to ask for it at check-out.

If you go to a restaurant without a coupon do they still give you the discount? They know that the coupon was in the paper or online but they aren't going to just discount your meal. Disney is really no different than anyone else in the travel industry. Book a hotel room or cruise anywhere else and they will quote you the highest rate most likely until you tell them you know of something otherwise. That is how revenue management in this business works.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

So, I was interested in viewing a resort price comparison. I do not think it is fair to be comparing a studio to a Suite even if it's Deluxe vs Value. I priced the Boardwalk Villa to make it more comparable. And without the summer offer on the Moderate option at FW it's only a 45 dollar comparison. When it's broken down this way I think it makes fair sense. Do I think it's a little unfair that AoA is excluded from the offer, sure but it's brand new and there is so much excitement built up for these new family suites. When the newness dies down and it is included in the offer will there be a valid complaint, nah...I don't think so. Disney is an expensive family vacation, but in my opinion it is the best family vacation and we will always shell out the dough for the magic. I am not attacking anyone here, nobody is...we all have opinions and just need to back them up and stand by them.

Boardwalk 1BR Villa=$3853. (490/night)

Fort Wilderness Cabins=$1917 (240/night) Think it's fair to point out here that w/o the offer it would be $2396, (300/night)

Art of Animation Suite=$2829 (345/night)

Upvote 0

Glasgow

So even though you may find the $1000 watch (AoA suites) expensive there are people that will pay it because the cost is no issue to them. You may instead buy the $200 watch (ASM suite) because now it's not looking like such a bad deal. Even though it's still more expensive than the $75 watch (ASM standard room) you don't feel the need to go "cheap" you just want to feel like you're getting a value.

Now Disney has sold the AoA suite to people who don't care about the cost. The ASM suite to someone who feels like their getting a good value in comparison without being cheap and the ASM standard room to someone who really cannot or will not shell out the extra cash.

The watch store doesn't care how they're sold and may not even expect many people to buy the big ticket item - it was only put there to give shoppers in the budget watch store a big ticket item to compare everything else to. Now you've got budget shoppers checking out big ticket items. The features are all there to support it so it's a tough sell but not impossible and you've created a new shopper - the big ticket/budget minded one.

To take it one step further, I liken this more to how cars are sold. Take Hyundai for example .. originally thought of as the "Value" choice they have now taken steps to improve their image and sell some really nice mainstream cars. They have recently brought out some higher end cars as well to compete with the likes of BMW, Merc, etc., however, they still have to deal with the stigma of originally being a low-budget company.

How do they sell high end cars while also selling value based offerings? The high end model may be the best car on the road but some people will continue to question the value simply based on the past marketing, history, etc.

Such is the quandary of the marketing dept .. :)

Upvote 0
To take it one step further, I liken this more to how cars are sold. Take Hyundai for example .. originally thought of as the "Value" choice they have now taken steps to improve their image and sell some really nice mainstream cars. They have recently brought out some higher end cars as well to compete with the likes of BMW, Merc, etc., however, they still have to deal with the stigma of originally being a low-budget company.

How do they sell high end cars while also selling value based offerings? The high end model may be the best car on the road but some people will continue to question the value simply based on the past marketing, history, etc.

Such is the quandary of the marketing dept .. :)

This same thought could be behind giving all resorts, including values, free wifi and refrigerators. Maybe Disney has decided that they can get a little more for their 'value' resorts. They start AoA a little high, and then the rest of the values and AoA land up together somewhere in the middle.

Upvote 0
I would also like to add to this discussion, just because I don't think this has been mentioned, that a regular room at AoA in October is exactly the same price as a Pop room at that time. We booked last week. So it's not as if Disney is getting some sort of crazy premium for AoA - they've just deemed the suites worth a certain amount more than regular rooms.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom