vacation club.....

BriJul

Original Poster
If we go on 2 trips a year for 7 nights at a time at deluxe resorts, would we save money by joining the Vacation Club?

WDWScottieBoy

BriJul said:
If we go on 2 trips a year for 7 nights at a time at deluxe resorts, would we save money by joining the Vacation Club?

Ask one of the people in the DVC threads. They should know how much it costs for what you do and whatnot. It seems to me like you should buy an Annual Pass if you don't have one yet. If you do buy into the DVC, you might have to get at least 500+ points. They can tell you what the cost is per point and what the price would be. Remember, if you buy now you get 50 years at Saratoga Springs and I think they are still giving a free vacation if you buy now too.

Gail Hayden

that is a difficult one to answer. I would call the 800 and speak to a Vacation Guide. I have a great one if you would like his number.

I joined in 92 and it has been long paid off. The only real expense I have is the 60-70 per month dues (not sure if that is the correct term, but, it works for me).

We stay in wonderful accomodations for 10 days at a time 2x per year.

They have recently announced a discount on annual passes to become effective on 1/02/05.

It appears that the rates for resorts go up way faster than our dues.

For us, it was a win/win situation.

There is a min. number of points you must buy, I believe that minimum is 150 and we do quite well with 230 points each year.

RG62

I am a Beach Club Member, buying it was the best thing that I've ever done in my life, besides marring my dear wife and becoming a US citizen.

dvcnut39

As Gail stated in her post, it would be best to call the 1-800 #. I did a little bit of homework for you though- Say you went once in the "Aventure Season" (also called the Secret Season- it's a very slow time of year, we go in the first two weeks of December) and you go once in the "Magic Season" (for example during the heart of the summer). If you would buy a real estate interest into Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa, you would need 95pts for a 7 nt stay (studio) in the "Adventure Season" and 218pts for a 7 nt stay (studio) in the "Magic Season" for a total of 218 pts. If you would by 218pts now, you would pay $20,710 at $95/pt, then would also have your monthly dues of approximately $75. DVC sometimes offers a $10/pt discount and you could also look into buying "resales". The bad news of DVC is that after your 40-50 years, you lose all interest in the property. That is the bad news. The good news is too much to list, but I'll give you a couple of highlights. Incredible flexibilty that you can't get with other timeshares, you can write-off all interest from the $20,710 cost, "bank" and "borrow" points, numerous discounts ranging from theme park tickets, restaurants, behind the scene tours, etc., Just take your time and do some math. Disney really doesn't consider DVC a timeshare, they feel that you are prepaying your future vacations. We did the math and plan on adding on to our 225pts next year. Hopefully this will help you.

For me, the appeal of something like DVC is the "prepay for your vacations, then never pay another cent for lodging" aspect. But the dues eliminate that appeal - paying upfront a bunch of $$$ only to have to pay another $1000 (or more) per year in dues just doesn't sit well with me. So here's something I've always wondered about the dues:

Could you prepay a lump sum to eliminate the dues? If they offered a "Pay 15 times your dues today, then never pay another cent" offer (a reasonable offer, if their discount rate is, say, 7% - apologies to non-finance people), then I'd be all over it.

Gail Hayden

FourFourSeven said:
For me, the appeal of something like DVC is the "prepay for your vacations, then never pay another cent for lodging" aspect. But the dues eliminate that appeal - paying upfront a bunch of $$$ only to have to pay another $1000 (or more) per year in dues just doesn't sit well with me. So here's something I've always wondered about the dues:

Could you prepay a lump sum to eliminate the dues? If they offered a "Pay 15 times your dues today, then never pay another cent" offer (a reasonable offer, if their discount rate is, say, 7% - apologies to non-finance people), then I'd be all over it.
My dues cost me approx. 912.00 per year, a lot of it is deductable. Any time share charges yearly fees. The nice thing about Disney is there is no yearly fee to belong to the exchange program, you only pay for an exchange when you use it.

For my 912.00 per year I vacation for approx. 20 days in a wonderful unit.

Also, even if you buy into SSR you can stay at any DVC resort. Your points go further if you stay at OKW.

No, you cannot negotiate your yearly fees.

dont forget the discounts on the ap and the app...also with many other discounts. send me a pm with any questions you have and i will do my best to answer. the one thing with dvc once you get in you always want more points.

Gail Hayden said:
My dues cost me approx. 912.00 per year, a lot of it is deductable. Any time share charges yearly fees. The nice thing about Disney is there is no yearly fee to belong to the exchange program, you only pay for an exchange when you use it.

For my 912.00 per year I vacation for approx. 20 days in a wonderful unit.

Also, even if you buy into SSR you can stay at any DVC resort. Your points go further if you stay at OKW.

No, you cannot negotiate your yearly fees.

I hadn't considered the deductable nature of fees. Sorry to keep asking questions, but how much of the fees is deductable? If it's all deductable, that takes out a lot of the sting. It looks like you pay about $45/day of fees, which, if it's all deductable, becomes a tolerable (in my opinion) amount of fees.

What size room do you stay in? A studio? 1 bedroom? 2 bedroom? I'm trying to get an idea of what fees I'd pay for what I would want...

I appreciate your help in clarifying the fees.

artvandelay

FourFourSeven said:
I hadn't considered the deductable nature of fees. Sorry to keep asking questions, but how much of the fees is deductable? If it's all deductable, that takes out a lot of the sting. It looks like you pay about $45/day of fees, which, if it's all deductable, becomes a tolerable (in my opinion) amount of fees.

What size room do you stay in? A studio? 1 bedroom? 2 bedroom? I'm trying to get an idea of what fees I'd pay for what I would want...

My DVC guide told me that 10% of your dues are deductible. This 10% represents your share of the property taxes.

futurepres

The minimum is 150 points and the price is $14,250 plus a starting of $500 yearly maintenance fees. Each additional point is $95 and nothing is negotiable.

The current promotion is your choice of:
1>A free trip equivalent to the points purchased. Thus, if your plan is 150 points, your vacation will parallel that, or if you had 400 points, the same. The trip must be taken by Sept 2005, though.
2>$1500 or more discount off the total, based on a 10% discount off the total package/points purchased.

The average rooms that you get start at a studio and are priced at approximately $360 per night if you are not a member and average after breaking even at about $62 per night.

You are essentially purchasing the room, your choice of rooms, and the flexibility of where and when you want to stay. The point values per room, per night/week will vary according to the location, venue, and season.

Keep in mind, too, that unlike a package that you can book (outside of the DVC) that can include tickets, meal plans, etc, the vacation club is for the accomodations only and all tickets, food, etc must be purchased separately. The average discount for tickets and food range between 10%-20% and there are various promos from time to time.

Wow, I feel like I still work there, but I know all of this because I'm debating to join myself. I worked there a few years ago, for a few years, and go back 1-2 times each year. I know that in 7-8 years I'll break even, and the rooms that you get are quite nice, but but but but but...adding that to everything else is quite an expense, such that a 'standard' package can include tickets, silver plan, etc...which if you don't go that often is MUCH cheaper than the DVC. However, if you want the ease of booking the trip, the flexibility, and other factors, then get a good credit card rate, throw the mere $14K plus on it, and go have some fun!

cj2me

My husband and I were looking into the DVC once again, but we can not get ourselves to a point where we think we are at a benefit. We ordered the info and spoke to a represenative. My husband being in finance worked all the numbers in every possible way for us with taking a vacation every year, but in the end there was no difference, like someone said it's just prepaying your vacation. The dues to go up 3.75% a year according to what we were told. With 150 points it would only allow us to take one vacation in Disney a year, I usually go twice. There would be nothing more I would love than to own a piece of the magic. As far as APs are concerneced you get $25 off. Last year I went to Riverside for 5 days, Dream Maker package and Airfare, double occupancy = $695. All booked through Disney TRavel Company. (We went in May) The only way the package made sense was if we went with the Adventurers Package--not limited to Disney.

Hope you do well in your decision. :wave:

futurepres

My wife and I went there last year on our honeymoon and got:

8 days, 7 nights
roundtrip airfare
suv rental
coronado; king, waterview
silver plan w/ park hopper

all together, with everything above was about $2700 or so...you can't beat it regardless of what you compare it to. The advantage here, though, was the promo of booking 7 nights for the price of 4. That to the DVC makes it quite a toss-up.

Nicole

Well for myself I'm not joining the DVC for a couple of selfish, mundane reasons. I don't want to have to cook for myself on my vacation (and if I had a kitchen I'd feel guilty eating out every meal) and I like having housekeeping come through every day. Also I like being able to stay at different resorts each time, which I think there is a way to do with the DVC but it seems like everyone stays at the same few places.

cj2me

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

I forgot about Housekeeping not coming, that was one other thing I did not like about DVC.

Gail Hayden

FourFourSeven said:

The property taxes are deductable. At the end of the year they send you a breakdown on what your dues have paid for.

I stay, ususally, in a one bedroom unit. The fees are based on the amount of points you purchase, not on the size of the unit.

Gail Hayden

artvandelay said:
My DVC guide told me that 10% of your dues are deductible. This 10% represents your share of the property taxes.
That is a "guestimate". Each year DVC sends out a breakdown of what your dues have paid for.

Also, the interest on the "note" is deducatable in most cases, I would consult a tax expert first.

Gail Hayden

cj2me said:
My husband and I were looking into the DVC once again, but we can not get ourselves to a point where we think we are at a benefit. We ordered the info and spoke to a represenative. My husband being in finance worked all the numbers in every possible way for us with taking a vacation every year, but in the end there was no difference, like someone said it's just prepaying your vacation. The dues to go up 3.75% a year according to what we were told. With 150 points it would only allow us to take one vacation in Disney a year, I usually go twice. There would be nothing more I would love than to own a piece of the magic. As far as APs are concerneced you get $25 off. Last year I went to Riverside for 5 days, Dream Maker package and Airfare, double occupancy = $695. All booked through Disney TRavel Company. (We went in May) The only way the package made sense was if we went with the Adventurers Package--not limited to Disney.

Hope you do well in your decision. :wave:
No, for new AP's you will be getting 100.00 for PAP - 125.00 Renewals for AP=75.00 renewals for PAP= 95.00

Not sure if this has changed but, there is a 10% discount on UMP for members.

Dues increases can vary, once they actually went down.

I am one of those nutty people who likes to cook and I do cook on vacation.
We save a TON of money by just cooking breakfast and dinner in the unit. The kitchens are wonderful to work in.

We joined when we had free passes. The people that joined with this perq saw their breakeven point much earlier. My first visit was to a GV in 92 with 6 passes. I never did the math, but, that had to be a significant savings.

Gail Hayden

cj2me said:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

I forgot about Housekeeping not coming, that was one other thing I did not like about DVC.
If you want to pay for it, they will come in every day. We get one full cleaning and a trash and towel during our stays(that is included in the fees). More than enough for me. Takes 4 mins. to make a bed. I like NOT having housekeeping in there.

DVC is not for everyone. I can appreciate all the reasons why it would not appeal to some. I like going to the same place each time. The "home away from home" works for me. :) But, then again, I am someone who does NOT like change in my "digs".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom